Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 05:43 AM

15,440 posts, read 25,862,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I don't ever remember a time this was allowed legally.
I do, but I can’t prove it. Okay. I’ll accept that I was wrong. I don’t do it often, but I don’t need trouble so I’ll follow the rules from here on out.

Old 09-08-2022, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
That's weird the link doesn't work. You can also copy/paste the link. It's just the YouTube terms of service.

I don't believe the current terms are new. To me, it makes sense that YouTube doesn't allow people to make copies of (download) somebody else's content. That seems fairly standard.
I forgot to mention that I clicked it on an iPad and it went straight to the YouTube app. No terms of service. I found that myself. Thanks for the effort though.

Old 09-08-2022, 07:07 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,758,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I do, but I can’t prove it. Okay. I’ll accept that I was wrong. I don’t do it often, but I don’t need trouble so I’ll follow the rules from here on out.
LOL You're allowed to talk.

If I upload something to Youtube, it is mine. You shouldn't be allowed to download it without my permission. Likewise many media companies post stuff to YouTube... this is also there's and not for public download.

I would bet a weeks pay it has been this way since YouTube was bought by Google. Google is very wary of being sued because I downloaded your content and then used it some way that was either illegal or made it look like mine.

Old 09-08-2022, 08:04 AM

22,674 posts, read 24,660,350 times
VLC-player can download YT-vids..............a little bit involved, but it works fine.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:33 AM

164 posts, read 85,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Unfortunately, they just focus on going after the little guys who use those sites... and not the sites themselves.

Yup exactly! Which is why now that I know they don't allow it, I won't try to do it. The potential trouble is not worth the videos. LOL They just threw me off when they said with premium you can download them so I thought that meant we were allowed. But now that I know we're not allowed, I won't do it. Not worth it.

Old 09-08-2022, 09:40 AM

164 posts, read 85,530 times
Quote:

LOL! Technology is getting so smart now, they can find out what you're doing. They even know who you are without you even going online yourself if your friends have Facebook. Hahaha! Who knows what technology they have now, that we won't know exists till 30 years from now. LOL

Old 09-08-2022, 01:13 PM

15,463 posts, read 9,144,645 times
Quote:

If I upload something to Youtube, it is mine. You shouldn't be allowed to download it without my permission. Likewise many media companies post stuff to YouTube... this is also there's and not for public download.

I would bet a weeks pay it has been this way since YouTube was bought by Google. Google is very wary of being sued because I downloaded your content and then used it some way that was either illegal or made it look like mine.
No, if you upload anything to the internet it's in the public domain forever. There is nothing YouTube or anybody can to to stop your video from being copied and even reuploaded for internaty. If you want to keep something for yourself, don't put it on the internet.

Old 09-08-2022, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I only ever downloaded anything to watch it later myself. I don’t use it for anything. It’s no different than downloading in the YouTube app to watch later offline (if it works). That said, I’m not betting. *I acknowledge that you could be right. I thought it was legal once upon a time, but i can’t prove it. So…

Old 09-08-2022, 03:08 PM

1,113 posts, read 659,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
No, if you upload anything to the internet it's in the public domain forever. There is nothing YouTube or anybody can to to stop your video from being copied and even reuploaded for internaty.
Where did you come up with that? YouTube may be an exception as far as enforcement, but in other illegal downloading situations, ISPs may even block your service if they find that you have repeatedly broken copyright laws.

Last edited by akrausz; 09-08-2022 at 04:30 PM..

Old 09-09-2022, 12:43 PM

15,463 posts, read 9,144,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akrausz View Post
Where did you come up with that? YouTube may be an exception as far as enforcement, but in other illegal downloading situations, ISPs may even block your service if they find that you have repeatedly broken copyright laws.
1. No ISP will block your service for violating copyright laws. That would not be good business. 2. There is no way for them to know what you are downloading. They can know you are downloading something and where you are downloading it from, but that is it.

You could screen record a YouTube video and nobody but you would know, unless you tell somebody or they are with you watching you record it.

If you put something online, it's there for anybody to do whatever they want with. Stupid TOSs that prohibit downloading are just put there to give people who are uploading videos a false sense of security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers