Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2023, 07:28 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I assure you it was "not for fun" They tried something totally new with 8. It was almost universally hated. In fact you might be the only one that actually liked it. On Earth. They didn't change it... they FIXED it.

No, I liked it.

The only 'mainstream' Windows versions that I have really disliked have been Vista and ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2023, 06:18 PM

115 posts, read 103,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
In Edge browser? Changed how, the sorting or something else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
You are literally the only person I have ever seen who liked W8.
I didn't say I liked it, I said I knew where everything was.

Old 05-22-2023, 08:56 PM

1,809 posts, read 3,192,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
This is what I see.
Desktop installed a windows update yesterday, I now have the volume bar in bottom middle of the screen(was top left before the update).

Old 08-18-2023, 07:26 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
My biggest issue thus far is how email is handled. I just upgraded from Windows 7 and the version of outlook I used downloaded the email from the server and deleted it from the server. This allowed me to keep email years old on my computer and not fill up the server, with gigabytes of old email, which is a free account with limited space allowed.

Windows 11 automatically synchs with the email server and while it downloads new email, it also uploads old email to the server. if I try to delete the unwanted email off the server, it then also deletes it off my computer. Very frustrating. I trying turning synch off, deleting the window 11 email program, changing all kinds of settings, nothing worked. . Finally I decided to make an Email and Backup Email folders under Notes. I then disconnected the network cable and restored my backup .PST file from my old computer and moved these email into Backup Email then delete all the emails out of the Inbox. Now it no longer tries to synch these emails. Any new emails I want to keep, I can move into Email under notes, once the emails are no longer in the inbox, the are deleted from the server.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:31 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGromit View Post
My biggest issue thus far is how email is handled. I just upgraded from Windows 7 and the version of outlook I used downloaded the email from the server and deleted it from the server. This allowed me to keep email years old on my computer and not fill up the server, with gigabytes of old email, which is a free account with limited space allowed.

Windows 11 automatically synchs with the email server and while it downloads new email, it also uploads old email to the server. if I try to delete the unwanted email off the server, it then also deletes it off my computer. Very frustrating. I trying turning synch off, deleting the window 11 email program, changing all kinds of settings, nothing worked. . Finally I decided to make an Email and Backup Email folders under Notes. I then disconnected the network cable and restored my backup .PST file from my old computer and moved these email into Backup Email then delete all the emails out of the Inbox. Now it no longer tries to synch these emails. Any new emails I want to keep, I can move into Email under notes, once the emails are no longer in the inbox, the are deleted from the server.
Based on the syncing info you mentioned, it almost sounded like you were using POP configuration before and now have it configured as IMAP.
POP typically downloads everything from the server to the client and doesn't keep a copy but of course depending on the email provider and the related account settings this could be configured differently.
IMAP, however, always syncs both ways and is the more common and preferred configuration of mail clients.
Since I don't know which email account/service provider you are referring to it is not possible to comment further but I'd advice you to check out the account/server settings on your mail app.

Old 08-19-2023, 06:42 AM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Since I don't know which email account/service provider you are referring to it is not possible to comment further but I'd advice you to check out the account/server settings on your mail app.
I use comcast, also call infinity. I used to have service with them, but since closed the account and moved to another area of the country where they do not have cable/internet service, but still allow me to use my old email account for free.

While it seemed to worked at first, since my phone no longer had the emails i moved to another folder on it, when i logged online and checked the email on the Comcast server, it reflected exactly what the computer had. Including the messages i thought were no longer being synched.

I gave up and switched to another email program called eM client, It has local folders that have not synched with the comcast server (yet). I was able to disconnect the computer from the internet, import the .pst file from my old computer and move the emails to the local folders inbox. I now have access to all my old emails without having to keep gigabytes of them on the comcast server.

I don't think I was asking for anything outrageous, I just wanted to be able to control what folders Synched with the online server. They are settings in Windows 11 to do that, but they do not work, it ignores your setting and does what ever it wants, which kinda pisses me off. I hate being told what you can and can't do, the entire idea around windows over say Apple products, you can have a lot of control for customizing.

Old 08-19-2023, 12:52 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
I don't really know much about Comcast/Xfinity but if you are accessing the emails via a browser, then there is no mail client app in between so it is up to how your email account settings and the email server were configured.

If you are indeed using a mail app on your computer or phone, then perhaps this page might help.

Last edited by TurcoLoco; 08-19-2023 at 01:02 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers