Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 07:30 PM

666 posts, read 425,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
You have clearly never experienced "What the heck did I walk into this room for?"

... or is your password "Password1" ???
I deal with the doorway phenomenon regularly. But remembering where one's sun hat was left is inconsequential compared to the passphrase keying system which secures one's entire digital operations throughout life.

One of the great benefits of having an entirely wetware passphrase system is that I can recall any passphrase I require out of my own head while also maintaining passphrases which exceed adequate entropy and are unique for their given use case.
No worrying about "oh noes, did I leave my password database on the other laptop???!!! :O", "Uh oh there's not internet here! f it I have to drive back to lookup my passphrases on FBIpassX D: !!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2023, 06:43 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
I deal with the doorway phenomenon regularly. But remembering where one's sun hat was left is inconsequential compared to the passphrase keying system which secures one's entire digital operations throughout life.

One of the great benefits of having an entirely wetware passphrase system is that I can recall any passphrase I require out of my own head while also maintaining passphrases which exceed adequate entropy and are unique for their given use case.
No worrying about "oh noes, did I leave my password database on the other laptop???!!! :O", "Uh oh there's not internet here! f it I have to drive back to lookup my passphrases on FBIpassX D: !!"
There's always more than one acceptable solution.

As for the bolded - in many cases (not all), if that's the issue, you likely would't need the use of the password either...

Old 12-01-2023, 08:05 AM

335 posts, read 154,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada2012 View Post
Does anyone use any of this stuff ?
I use Keeper Security for my password security and like it a lot. It allows you to make passwords with as many random characters you want (the default is 20) and can be used with both Windows and Android.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:22 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
As for the bolded - in many cases (not all), if that's the issue, you likely would't need the use of the password either...

That's a pretty good point.

Old 12-01-2023, 11:02 AM

4,609 posts, read 3,003,049 times
The solution needn't be all of one thing.

You might store most of your passwords on some storage site,
but keep the important ones (bank, credit cards, primary email)
committed to memory, or have hints for them on a piece of paper.

And we're told not to use the same password for multiple accounts,
but I do that with less important accounts, like social media,
rarely-used retailers, etc. (I don't have payment info stored with
those retailers, of course).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers