Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2023, 09:48 AM

501 posts, read 360,206 times

Advertisements

My wife wants to get us one of these services that keep all our passwords in one location.

Does anyone use any of this stuff ?

We're looking at the 1 password site in particular.

Are these sites legitimate and worth signing up for a subscription ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2023, 01:28 PM

666 posts, read 425,466 times
Using non-local password management makes you dependent upon:
A) Network access
B) A third party to store and mediate your access to your own passphrases
C) Faith that the third party's security will not ever be breached and/or leak your passphrases

If you're going to use a password manager, I would caution you to use one which is stored and run locally on your own infrastructure.

Better yet, devise a system that you can use to generate passphrases which vary depending on the site or service it applies to. Something that you can do in your head or maybe with just the assistance of pencil and paper.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:34 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
I'll give a qualified disagreement with Yelling.

Having the manager in the cloud is the way to go. Got a fire at your house and your server becomes toast? So does your account access.

There is ONE place I would trust beyond the others. Proton Mail and its unlimited plan.

Old 11-29-2023, 02:55 PM

1,097 posts, read 647,541 times
I use the password manager built into the Chrome browser. Never found a need to pay for a password manager.

Old 11-30-2023, 05:28 AM

43,299 posts, read 77,142,685 times
Been using LastPass for years on desktops, laptops, and phones. I am happy with it.
The cost is a drop in the bucket.

Old 11-30-2023, 09:03 AM

666 posts, read 425,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'll give a qualified disagreement with Yelling.

Having the manager in the cloud is the way to go. Got a fire at your house and your server becomes toast? So does your account access.

There is ONE place I would trust beyond the others. Proton Mail and its unlimited plan.
ofc have off site backups. But also my recommendation was to use a system for mental storage.

So, with the fire analogy, if your own organic brain burned up in that house fire then you've got much bigger problems that forgotten passphrases. lmfao

Old 11-30-2023, 09:33 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
"I want to do a thing"
Yelling At Birds: "Don't be a sheep, do a different thing, trust no one, do everything locally after you get your degree to actually figure it out because I won't take the time to actually help you".
No offense bro, but you rarely seriously offer any real help around here.

@OP: 1Password is good. So is Lastpass. Personally I use Bitwarden.

Bitwarden has a FREE tier that allows you to share your 'vault' with one other person like a spouse. This is a HUGE advantage to somethng like this versus

Quote:
I use the password manager built into the Chrome browser. Never found a need to pay for a password manager.
I use both, but having all the family passwords in ONE location is a HUGE help.
The pay tier of $40 a year is for families and you can share with 6 people.
100% encrypted and to date Bitwarden has never had a successful breach or attack (Last Pass had one, caused no serious issues but....).

https://bitwarden.com/pricing/

Old 11-30-2023, 11:22 AM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yelling_at_Birds View Post
ofc have off site backups. But also my recommendation was to use a system for mental storage.

So, with the fire analogy, if your own organic brain burned up in that house fire then you've got much bigger problems that forgotten passphrases. lmfao
You have clearly never experienced "What the heck did I walk into this room for?"

... or is your password "Password1" ???

Old 11-30-2023, 11:52 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,292,770 times
I sort of morph a cloud solution and a local solution....

I use KeePass/StrongBox. The DB is in an encrypted container residing on Google Cloud. And MFA'd through Yubikey. Depending on which product/tier you use, autofill within a browser can be native, or through a browser plug-in.

Probably not as seamless as LastPass or 1Password. But I've been using keepass (or its variants) for over two decades... so no need for change in my case.

The solution is fundamentally free. I upgraded to a pay version for some of the convenience (and the MFA functionality).

Old 11-30-2023, 01:02 PM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times
I used a variation of Keeppass for years. But when wife and I decided to consolidate passwords, I needed an easier solution.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers