Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,482,221 times

Advertisements

I am a technotard and I need a Geek that can explain technical things very simply.

My biggest problem today is with another forum--'Ulster Scots Online' I registered Saturday--the link to activate the account does not work. I am certain of that. It says 'Screen Name not in database' to continue/create new screen name 'Click Here' and then there I am.

I cannot post, see no link to contact Webmaster or Administrator and the person who sent the link hasn't replied.

[link removed]

This is a new forum--how New I do not know. I did a Google search and picked this one.

If you have suggestions PM/DM or email me.

tia

TakeAhike

*Hoping this thread will not be deleted again--Moderators--Yac is trying to help me, too.

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 06-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: removed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 01:29 PM

1,368 posts, read 6,503,818 times
E-mail their admins. Its the best way.

Old 06-30-2008, 03:02 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,189,971 times
There you are 'where'? Logged in or at create a login?

If you copy and paste the link will it work then?

Old 06-30-2008, 03:28 PM

2,919 posts, read 6,828,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I am a technotard and I need a Geek that can explain technical things very simply.

If you have suggestions PM/DM or email me.

tia

TakeAhike
I tried...you have your DM's disabled. On their main page there is a link to their OLD site...(look at the top it says "oldsite") on that page there is an email address for questions or comments about the message board. I would assume that the email is one of the Admins. (I won't post someone else's email here.)

It's possible that the Message Board is set for Manual activation and they have not activated you yet. (But the auto-email was sent anyway)

Try the email address and see if it works. Good Luck - LadyR

Old 06-30-2008, 03:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,686,482 times
From the main page today:

We have had a few technical difficulties but everything should be fine now (you will need to re-register). We have taken this opportunity to revamp the website. Feel free to register and join the Ulster-Scots community. Our forums are now open.

Of course they didn't date the entry so who knows if it's current or a month old...

Old 06-30-2008, 04:10 PM

Thanks, All.

He finally got it to work. Who knows what the problem was. It works now.

I sent a few DM's Saturday night and apparently they went through. Someone responded today.

I think I will like this site. Plan to tell some 'Stories About Atlanta' to kids --little seems to be known about how Atlanta evolved judging from the posts of people moving to Atlanta and cough--a rather apathetic attitude among some who have been living here.

~~~~

Next Question.

I am using my Mother's Dell/WindowsXP5.1, Comcast.

I want to get a laptop--nothing very complicated. I do not know 'anything' about Wifi--what sort of laptop--moderately priced and what sort of capabilities should it have if I want to use Wifi.
Planning to travel around the SE and gather more FYI on the history/culture of the South--LOL--as good as excuse as any to visit places in GA that I like and NC and TN, SC.

I 'fell behind' on technology and have been playing 'Catch Up' as it moves further and further ahead.

A 'beginner's' Wifi laptop that is what I think I need.

tia

TakeAhike

Old 07-02-2008, 11:52 AM

Pick up a mid-line dell, HP or Toshiba.

Make sure it has wireless N or G, and do your best to avoid vista if you can.

Old 07-04-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
Pick up a mid-line dell, HP or Toshiba.

Make sure it has wireless N or G, and do your best to avoid vista if you can.
I guess the computer salesperson will know what 'N' or 'G'/wireless? means.

I won't.

I might be able to select a midline Dell or compare it to the others. 'Mom' needs a project and since she loves Clark Howard/Consumer Guru in Atlanta/WSB 750 radio host/he has a website, FYI--she can go online and learn all about laptops and wireless and write me a note. '87' and she does like to explain in great detail why I 'Should/should NOT' get this or that.
At times--this is stressful.

She means well and has this Dell working its ??? off. Photoshop obsessed which is good I get nice pics of my dog.

Thanks again.

TakeAhike

Glad to have been away from 'The Beast' for a few days. I would go 'Insane'/more insane if I had to work on computers, browsers, servers--hardware/software all day long. My idea of the hottest of Dante's rings of 'H'.

Glad some seem to actually enjoy this and can make everything 'Work'.

Still love the SNL episodes of the 'Office Geek'. Mocking those who cannot 'turn the 'puters' on. That happened to me many times as a temp and I gave that up. Not even going to think about learning how to operate thousands of systems.

Happy 4th wherever you are Radek. I may need 'More' advice from time to time.

No longer cry hysterically when things go wrong. LOL--cried and cursed a lot at the first computer and AOL. I will say that AOL tried to help me and most at Comcast can fix the problems I have. Not easy to communicate with technotards--I realize that--to all working in call centers for technical problems.

Once some posters were 'Too Immature', asking the same questions over and over again. I taught 4th graders and could not 'Stand' that. A customer service person thought I was a 'Supervisor' of some kind. LOL.

Just a teacher --'Chalk' once it gets in you --you cannot seem to get the 'Dust' out. That is what teachers say.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:10 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,129,823 times
N
G

Old 07-05-2008, 01:28 AM

Thanks Brian.

Takeahike, I apologize for not being more elaborate in my answer, I was in a rush when I posted.

Wireless N and Wireless G are two seperate wireless types.

Wireless G is older, and supports 54mbps max (some claim 108mbps, but thats not important). This is a theoretical limit, and you'll generally see less than this. Still, a cable connection isn't likely to be able to handle more than 15mbps (or 1/4) so it works just fine.

However, Wireless N is new and supports a longer range and has better bandwidth (speed) than Wireless G. I also believe that most Wireless N adapters support Wireless G networks.

Terms:
mbps = Megabits per second, think of it as kilometers per hour.

Bandwidth = See above

And, I work at as an incoming call center. Most of the people answeirng those phones ARE technotards.

And Happy 4th to you too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers