U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-08-2008, 06:17 AM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
In a manner of speaking, you did indeed. I wasn't undercutting your advice. I was just adding a personal cautionary note as to why the power cord must match the printer. No offense intended.
Didn't mean to sound offended, probably not a bad idea to reiterate, I've had more than one customer fry their laptop by plugging in the worng adapter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-08-2008, 12:49 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,690,476 times
Reputation: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Didn't mean to sound offended, probably not a bad idea to reiterate, I've had more than one customer fry their laptop by plugging in the worng adapter.
Yikes! Blowing a printer is one thing, because they're relatively cheap to replace and there's generally no risk of losing data. But man, frying a laptop would hurt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 05:46 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
Yikes! Blowing a printer is one thing, because they're relatively cheap to replace and there's generally no risk of losing data. But man, frying a laptop would hurt.
Yup, they just don't think. They think if the plug fits it aught to work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Full time RV"er
2,403 posts, read 5,856,238 times
Reputation: 1475
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Didn't mean to sound offended, probably not a bad idea to reiterate, I've had more than one customer fry their laptop by plugging in the worng adapter.
Sorry but lap tops are one thing ,computers, Printers and Tv"s have the same power cords 3 prong stagered (110 V) and have for a few years now, get one at any TV, computer store .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2008, 05:58 PM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter 1 View Post
Sorry but lap tops are one thing ,computers, Printers and Tv"s have the same power cords 3 prong stagered (110 V) and have for a few years now, get one at any TV, computer store .
Sorry, but your incorrect, many printers use a power brick similare to a laptop, they provide different levels of voltage and amperage depending on the mfg and the model, using the wrong one can fry your printer. Also some HP's use a power cord that is arranged in a horizontal configuration. The cord you mention is only part of the complete power supply.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 12:12 AM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,690,476 times
Reputation: 487
I agree with NHDave on that. While it's true some desktop monitors and computers can use an interchangeable power cord (as long as the rating matches), it's completely different with a laptop. It's also different than printers. My current printer isn't that old, and the cord is brand/model specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 AM
 
Location: Cary, NC
34,323 posts, read 59,663,966 times
Reputation: 33482
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquila View Post
I agree with NHDave on that. While it's true some desktop monitors and computers can use an interchangeable power cord (as long as the rating matches), it's completely different with a laptop. It's also different than printers. My current printer isn't that old, and the cord is brand/model specific.
So, it would seem that the model number of the printer may be helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 06:43 AM
 
10,755 posts, read 18,013,891 times
Reputation: 10244
Yes it would, I forgot to mention there abviously are printers that use the standard PC type power cord only, with no brick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 06:45 AM
 
Location: United Kingdom
339 posts, read 1,149,702 times
Reputation: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Yes it would, I forgot to mention there abviously are printers that use the standard PC type power cord only, with no brick.
And there are some that use a 2-pin cord like on a semi-portable radio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2008, 03:58 PM
 
1,597 posts, read 1,690,476 times
Reputation: 487
Anyway, to answer the OPs question, I would think it should be possible to contact the printer's manufacturer and ask about buying a new power cord. It's better to err on the side of caution instead of buying one you think will work, but only ends up cooking your circuit board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:00 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top