Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 08:15 AM

617 posts, read 2,073,447 times

Advertisements

Besides the fact that you get more computer for your money with a desktop, I'm just not comfortable sitting on the couch with my laptop. I like a firm table/desk, a real mouse. My daughter uses her laptop everywhere but she doesn't plug a mouse in.

You may find, after getting a laptop, that it isn't as comfortable on the couch as sitting at a desk. Unless you travel a good bit, I'd go with the desktop. I use my aging laptop only for travel or occasionally, in the kitchen. Usually, it's in its computer bag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2008, 12:45 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpy01 View Post
Besides the fact that you get more computer for your money with a desktop, I'm just not comfortable sitting on the couch with my laptop. I like a firm table/desk, a real mouse. My daughter uses her laptop everywhere but she doesn't plug a mouse in.

You may find, after getting a laptop, that it isn't as comfortable on the couch as sitting at a desk. Unless you travel a good bit, I'd go with the desktop. I use my aging laptop only for travel or occasionally, in the kitchen. Usually, it's in its computer bag.
That and the fact that many so-called laptops will cook themselves to death if actually used on your lap. They have air intakes on the bottom that if blocked by something soft like a sofa cushion or your leg, will starve the internals of cool air and lead to overheating. The better designs have the intakes in the back instead of the bottom.

Old 10-27-2008, 02:59 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,149,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
That and the fact that many so-called laptops will cook themselves to death if actually used on your lap. They have air intakes on the bottom that if blocked by something soft like a sofa cushion or your leg, will starve the internals of cool air and lead to overheating. The better designs have the intakes in the back instead of the bottom.
Thank you SO much for pointing that out. My dad wants to get a laptop at the start of the new year, and I'd never considered that the air intakes would be an issue. Since he doesn't know anything about computers, I'll most likely be the one making the buying decision for him, so I'll keep that in mind.

Old 10-27-2008, 03:03 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,627,821 times
For my kind of graphics I much prefer a 4 drive desktop configured as a workstation.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:14 PM

617 posts, read 2,073,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Oh, yes! In fact, I used my laptop exclusively while staying with my mom after her surgery. I noticed it was getting hot from using it more than usual, and that was on a desk, not my lap. I remedied that by using a round, plastic thing that came in the center of a Papa John Pizza as a "lift" for the laptop. It raised the back enough to let air flow under it and still allowed me to type comfortably.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:08 PM

712 posts, read 2,146,579 times
Desktop any day of the week..

Did anyone mention the fact that desktop parts and repair are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of laptops?

Old 10-27-2008, 07:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,461,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themaster View Post
Desktop any day of the week..

Did anyone mention the fact that desktop parts and repair are about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of laptops?
And so easy and cheap to keep running longer. Power supply dies? Replace it for $50. DVD-ROM dies or just needs an upgrade? Drop a newer/faster drive in its place. 17" LCD bites the dust? Replace it with a 22".

Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM

926 posts, read 2,748,509 times
I have both but I wonder how I ever lived without my laptop. I like being able to work in my office, work on the couch in the livingroom or even read a recipe online in the kitchen! This is my work laptop but when my desktop dies I am going to buy a laptop so I can travel with it too Before my cell phone, I used to use it for maps when driving from Columbia, SC to Atlanta, GA!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:31 PM

9,727 posts, read 14,271,125 times
I have both, and take my laptop with me in my car every day. I often work on the road, and can access my data from anywhere. I do prefer my desktop workhorse, though, for the nuts and bolts jobs....and just copy from one to another. It's peace of mind, also, knowing that I have my valuable data in two places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers