Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 12:03 PM

267 posts, read 1,289,171 times

Advertisements

Problem with wireless mouse:
Cursor slows down to a crawl, i have to push and pull it a bunch of times just to get it to move across the monitor. Problem is intermittant. Sometimes it dies and stays dead for 10 or 15 minutes at a time before it unfreezes and acts like a normal cursor, zipping and flying around again at the speed of sound. In dysfunctional mode, when it slows waaaaaaaay down to a crawl, right clicking and left clicking when the situation calls for it does nothing, nada, zero! And yes, the batteries are fine.

What Logitech the manufacturer of the mouse says:
Logitech says I might need to place the router as far away as possible from the mouse. Does that sound right, or are they off their rocker? Right now I have the router placed behind the monitor, about two and a half feet away from the mouse. Logitech says the farther away the better, 10 feet and more if possible, it's all about keeping them seperated, so says Logitech.

Does it make sense that a router needs to be kept away from a wireless mouse in order for the mouse to work properly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 12:37 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,117,384 times
They are all broadcasting wirelessly though, with a few exceptions, their ranges don't overlap. The problem you can run into is too much "noise" or a device bleeding over and interfering with another. This is most common with wireless phones and wireless networks but can be seen in other devices too.

I've never seen it with a mouse but having your router that close on your desk might be enough to do it. Try moving your router to see if it helps.

Where is the receiver for the mouse? Is it one of those combo mouse/keyboard setups with a USB receiver that you can place where you want? If so try moving it away from the router.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Where is the receiver for the mouse? Is it one of those combo mouse/keyboard setups with a USB receiver that you can place where you want? If so try moving it away from the router.
Yes, it is a wireless mouse/keyboard combo. The USB receiver is a few inches away from the router.

I didn't know that I was supposed to keep the receiver away from the mouse. People were telling me that I need to keep the mouse away from the router. Not sure yet if any of this is the cause of the problem, but thanks for clearing that up.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:14 PM

No move the receiver away from the router not the mouse. The receiver is trying to listen to the mouse/keyboard but it is sitting right next to the router which is broadcasting network traffic. Like I said I haven't run into it with a wireless mouse/keyboard before but it is pretty common with other devices. Then again I've never had a client with their router sitting on their desk right next to their computer before.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSD View Post
Then again I've never had a client with their router sitting on their desk right next to their computer before.
Why, is that a no-no?

I have a desktop and laptop computer in my home network. The laptop is in the same room, just a few feet away from the desktop. The router is sitting on the same table the desktop and modem are on.

So what's wrong with keeping the router on the same table as the desktop?

Old 02-03-2009, 01:54 PM

Not so much a no no just not suggested. Sticking it right next to any electronics (computer, monitor, printer, etc) will degrade the wireless network (interference). It doesn't have to be in the other room or anything just a few feet is usually enough to keep them from interfering with each other. Usually shooting for a bookshelf or the like to give it some clearance and some height is what I aim for.

Old 02-03-2009, 02:39 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
I had problems with my wireless mouse until I moved the receiver farther away from the monitor.

Some of what you are experiencing might also be activity in the computer. A background virus scan, or a program doing an automatic update in the background will suck out a lot of resources and cause the problem you are seeing.

The next time it happens look at the front of your computer. If you have a light that indicates hard drive activity then see if it is either on solid or or on a lot. This is an indicator of background activity. If there is no light listen for the hard drive. They usually make enough noise that you can tell when they are running.

If RAM is full then the PC starts using the hard drive as RAM. This will bog down a PC and cause what you are seeing. Also indicated by the light being on a lot.

How much RAM is in your PC?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:37 PM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Yeah, RAM could be the culprit. Another possibility could be a bit of lint blocking the laser.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:42 PM

91 posts, read 226,251 times
Lint/dirt on the sensor is a BIG problem or even dirt on the desk surface. Especially if you have a cat who likes to sit on your desk!

You might also check the 'feet' on the mouse & make sure they are not worn out. That will slow you down also. You can buy replacement stickers for the mouse & that really helps alot. They're very inexpensive.

A great site for replacement feet is:

SlickSurf Replacement Mouse Feet

Lastly, you might need to update the Logitech drivers.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/su...ads/downloads/

Old 02-09-2009, 11:06 AM

5,068 posts, read 10,133,406 times
Maybe there is one battery that's almost shot and the other is trying to pull the load.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers