Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM

97 posts, read 389,813 times

Advertisements

Ok my laptop is here and it works fine. I have not hooked it up to the internet yet.
I also got a wireless router today but I am totally freaked out and really don't know if I should set it up or if I should have the GeekSquad come out and do it (but they cost 169$ and that is pretty hefty).
I am so intimidated by this router thing

I got a netgrear Range Max 802.11g and the dude at the store said I might need the GeekSquad so they can come out and encrypted everything.

Guys , I really don't know how to do this ...maybe one of you can give me some advice .
I have the
- old Dell Dimension 8200 desktop and the verizon modem for our DSL
- there is also an HP printer hooked up to the desktop and the person at the store told me that it has to be configured properly so it will print when I am on my laptop

I was also wondering if I need any additional cables ?????

I would really like to be able to roam in the house with the laptop. I thought I come here and see if anybody can help and tell me how to set it up.
Mybe I find my courage to do it ....maybe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
It is a piece of cake to setup. You can wire your desktop directly to it and setup the wireless to handle the laptop (and any other devices you might get that are wireless). Just follow the directions it comes with and make sure you secure it.

Any problems or questions just reply with them and someone can help you I'm sure.

Old 02-07-2009, 05:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
I got a new laptop last week. I use Verizion. They included woth my desktop motom an antia thingy. All I did was plug it in & go!! All I did for my printer & camera was hook them to the laptop & installed their software. So I dont know what the person means about paying someone to encript it.

Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 PM

97 posts, read 389,813 times
Just found out that my old desktop can't run anything wireless ...so the router will go back to the store next week. Too bad now I have a laptop and no way using it roaming around , so I will still be sitting at a desk after all.

Disregard my questions above

:0(

Last edited by chispirit; 02-07-2009 at 07:37 PM..

Old 02-07-2009, 08:45 PM

YOU CAN Roam!!! You just add a antinna to the motom!

Old 02-07-2009, 08:47 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,115,896 times
Um, that router (depending on model) should have wired ports too. Plug the desktop into the router and the wireless will handle the laptop.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Thing sticking up anttana for laptop....black cord to electric....sons desktop & tast to phone line! My sons friend & I have laptops & I we even sit on the patio with our laptops! Does not cost $169 either!!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:00 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chispirit View Post
Just found out that my old desktop can't run anything wireless ...so the router will go back to the store next week. Too bad now I have a laptop and no way using it roaming around , so I will still be sitting at a desk after all.

Disregard my questions above

:0(
Connect the desktop via the ethernet cable you probably had connected to your DLS modem.

A router offers a huge amount of protection from the bad stuff on the internet. With a router nothing can enter your system unsolicited, meaning the only things that can get to your system are things you requested by going to the site, downloading email, etc.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:24 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Connect the desktop via the ethernet cable you probably had connected to your DLS modem.

A router offers a huge amount of protection from the bad stuff on the internet. With a router nothing can enter your system unsolicited, meaning the only things that can get to your system are things you requested by going to the site, downloading email, etc.
That''s not entirely true. I have seen USB DLS modems around. Ethernet (or Network or RJ-45) cables can be purchased very cheaply from most computer stores.

And routers can still be hacked etc. However, they do help a lot with regards to security.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:17 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,981,249 times
I've only been off dialup for a year, so I'm still learning the more "contemporary" stuff about DSL, broadband, modems, routers, etc.

chispirit -- I'm surprised if your old Dell doesn't have a port for an ethernet wire (looks like a phone jack thing only slightly bigger). If your desktop can connect to the Verizon modem, then it should be able to connect to a router. My daughter's older desktop is hardwired to the router with that sort of ethernet wire thing. Her 'dinosaur' didn't know the difference between being plugged into the router instead of the ATT modem (we now have Comcast cable and internet, but it's more or less the same set up).

She now has cable/internet in her new apt. The cable comes in and splits - one cable goes to her cable box for TV and the other goes to a router. No computer is hardwired to the router - she has a laptop that picks up the wireless signal wherever she might be in her apt.

During the install, the cable guy let her configure the wireless thing herself. It was really easy. She could have gone with WPA encryption, but she went with WEP (and I will tell you that neither she nor I have a clue about that 'alphabet soup' (I guess WPA is purportedly better than WEP), but that didn't really matter - setting up and securing her wireless signal was simple - she just followed some on-screen instructions.

So chispirit, don't give up on roaming your home with your laptop!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers