Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 5,094 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to CT and are looking for the best city within a 25 min drive from Meriden. Our number 1 priority is a great school rating. We have elementary and middle schoolers. We are coming from the South and the cost of living is a big increase so we are having a hard time finding a comparable house...or even close in our price range. We would love to be South of Meriden to be closer to the beaches but that is secondary to schools, a good house, and a nice family town with quick access to shopping.

Thanks in advance for any input you can give us!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 10:38 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
I would recommend Southington, Cheshire, Wallingford and Berlin.

They all have a short commute to Meriden. They are not closer to the water but they all have good schools. What is your budget and what kind of home are you expecting from it?

Cost of living between here and the south is MUCH higher, but you get what you pay for...and MUCH better schools come with that price.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:47 AM

Our budget is $300,000, which will get us half the house we have here and at least 30 years older. That's the problem we are running into. Better schools seem to be in the higher housing market areas. We are willing to compromise on the house but not the schools.

We have looked in Wallingford and Berlin but not the other two. I will do some searching. Thanks!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:06 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Yes, well I would agree, you are better off in a town with good schools and sacrificing on the size and age of the house.

Good Luck!

Old 07-13-2010, 11:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Luckily, pretty much any town in CT probably has better public schools than most towns in the South. So either way, it will be an improvement for your children's education. However, if your children come from a very poor school system, it is possible that they may be up to three grade levels behind their peers here in CT. I have heard of real life situations of this occurring from people who moved their kids from FL up here to CT.

As for towns, I would recommend Wallingford, Middletown, Newington, Hamden, Southington and possibly Bristol, as far as making the 25-min. commute from Meriden. Out of these, IMO, the most desirable in terms of living and schools would be Wallingford, Newington and Southington. Southington high school has a ridiculous amount of students that smoke weed though. My cousins go there and that school seems out of control. I couldn't believe some of the senior quotes I saw in the yearbook. One quote was, "Take life as it comes onto your face and trickles down your chin." We couldn't believe the high school let that appear on the yearbook.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:26 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
Good suggestions above. I'd also add North Haven to the list.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:29 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Good suggestions above. I'd also add North Haven to the list.
Ah...yes. Good schools and nice town. Just might not be that affordable!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:12 PM

34,942 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I agree tha Wallingford and Norht Haven are good places to look. You might also want to check Durham and Middlefield. Jay

Old 07-14-2010, 09:33 PM

Good suggestions, thanks. We are also looking at Cheshire. This seems to be the place we keep coming back too. Just not many houses for sale right now. Being behind is school is not an issue for us as we live in an area with some of the top schools in the nation. We do not live in a rural area.

The biggest concern we have is the property taxes...wow!! They are high.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:05 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Southington high school has a ridiculous amount of students that smoke weed though.
That can be said for pretty much any high school/college in the state of CT - and the nation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut