Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 06:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times

Advertisements

The Pratt plant in Southington is another example. It will have a hard time finding a tenant because nobody wants to assume contamination problems. The old GM plant in Bristol is another hard sell for the same reason. There are many of these situations accross Connecticut and the US.

Not all but many of these companies went out of business or took advantage of their legal incorporation so that they didn't have to be held responsible to clean up the property after vacating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 04:50 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
And wasn't it only about a year ago that some posters here said we weren't in a recession? Maybe now they feel differently. I haven't seen many more empty stores in my area, but I can see how some of the poorer areas would be hardest hit. Many of them were struggling to begin with. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.

Old 08-31-2010, 05:13 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I have been recently shopping in Westport, Fairfield, Newtown and Trumbull and haven't noticed any empty plaza's....maybe a storefront but can't be sure. No empty plaza's though.
If you went up RT25 into Newtown from Monroe there are indeed some empty buildings and older small strip malls that are empty. I just did a job in Monroe a couple months ago and remember them. I think I pulled into one to check email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The old GM plant in Bristol is another hard sell for the same reason. There are many of these situations accross Connecticut and the US
Last I was there Firestone took over the New Departure plant...did they move?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
And wasn't it only about a year ago that some posters here said we weren't in a recession? Maybe now they feel differently. I haven't seen many more empty stores in my area, but I can see how some of the poorer areas would be hardest hit. Many of them were struggling to begin with. I just hope it doesn't get any worse.
What I'm seeing here is the national chains are closing, not the locally owned business. Many that closed appeared to be still doing a good business but in the rest of the nation they tanked so the "branch" here closed too. Romano's Grill, Hops (Which has been closed for about 5 years now), 99, Shaws and a few retailers in Evergreen are what come to mind. Other than that, business as usual here. In fact two that closed have already been replaced. One by a local business and the other by another chain.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:15 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Jviello,

I'm not refering to New Departure but the plant on Rt 6 near downtown.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:16 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I still say much of this recession was driven by fear.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I still say much of this recession was driven by fear.
And greed.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Jviello,

I'm not refering to New Departure but the plant on Rt 6 near downtown.
Yea that's it...up on Chippens Hill. We used to drag race there back in the 80's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
And greed.
And government.

Old 08-31-2010, 03:41 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,845,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
If you went up RT25 into Newtown from Monroe there are indeed some empty buildings and older small strip malls that are empty. I just did a job in Monroe a couple months ago and remember them. I think I pulled into one to check email.
There may be a few buildings empty but entire strip malls in Newtown vacant? That strikes me as very odd as there is new construction of strip malls going on all over route 25. 3 plazas that I know of.

I know KayBee Toys closed but there is already a new occupant in there. I'm not seeing a lot of vacancy in Newtown.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
There may be a few buildings empty but entire strip malls in Newtown vacant? That strikes me as very odd as there is new construction of strip malls going on all over route 25. 3 plazas that I know of.

I know KayBee Toys closed but there is already a new occupant in there. I'm not seeing a lot of vacancy in Newtown.
There was one going North into Newtown that was empty. I'm talking the old school ones that are single line of buildings with like 4 storefronts.

There are no "modern" strip malls around here that are all empty in the surrounding smaller towns either...in fact there is only half of one in Manchester the back half of the Parkade which was that way loooooong before the recession. It's just one of "those" properties for whatever reason.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:34 PM

34,933 posts, read 56,945,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Yea that's it...up on Chippens Hill. We used to drag race there back in the 80's.

And government.
That plant on Chippens hill was subdivided into smaller spaces and is partially leased to my knowledge. Not bad considering how far out of the way it is. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut