Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 03:40 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,626,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My friend who lives in Weston said that Newtown has a very snobby vibe.
I've heard this a few times about Newtown. At first, I just thought it was because a friend who moved there grew up in Waterbury. But some other friends (even those who bought there) confirmed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 04:56 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,875,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't think of Newtown as being especially snooty though.
Yeah, i've never heard that either. They used to look down on Sandy Hook in the past, but i've heard that it doesn't really occur today.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:02 PM

2,638 posts, read 7,437,874 times
The Sandy Hook area in Newtown has had many subdivisions of upscale homes built in since the middle 1990s since that is where land was available. It has it's own little village area and is in a very commuter friendly location on 3 minutes to exit 10 or 11 on I-84. As the the OP, they should drive through the towns on their to form their own opinion and see how their home budget gets them in each town. Homes prices are higher in Southbury compared to Bethel. Commuting from Southbury to Purchase can get time consuming since you not only have to work with traffic going into Danbury from NY, but also with the employees that work in Danbury that live in Brookfield, Newtown & Southbury.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:36 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,958,170 times
Bethel is right next to Danbury, so it's busier and more connected. Southbury is further removed, and is a little sleepy. It all depends what you prefer in that regard.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:11 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,847,702 times
I LOVE Bethel and for me that would be it! Danbury is close which has wonderful shopping.

Newtown is also an awesome place to raise a family. There are wonderful people living there and it is just gorgeous.

Between those three towns you can't go wrong...it's just what your preference would be and well, that is up to you.

Old 10-01-2010, 09:15 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,847,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My friend who lives in Weston said that Newtown has a very snobby vibe.
Your friend is WRONG!!

Last edited by JayCT; 10-01-2010 at 09:36 PM.. Reason: Removed flame

Old 10-07-2010, 01:07 PM

73 posts, read 198,141 times
Southbury is definately a prettier town in my opinion.

The person who mentioned that there is no dowtown has not been to Southbury lately. There are SO MANY stores all along Main Street South/North. I can do most of my shopping here in Southbury and only venture down to Bethel for Target.

Southbury architecture is very "New Englandy,well landscaped and pristine. I also find the people here very friendly.

You need to drive through both towns to see which vibe you like best.

Also, the schools here in Southbury are excellent. My sister moved to Southbury from Bethel for that reason. We could not be happier here.

Good luck to you!

Old 10-07-2010, 01:31 PM

627 posts, read 1,059,428 times
My only issue with Southbury is that there is no real town center. No green, like a proper old New England town. Not very strollable.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:05 PM

34,958 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I agree with the comments on Southbury. Though they did keep the quality of architecture high, the town does lack a focal point. Jay

Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 AM

73 posts, read 198,141 times
Default ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackfu View Post
My only issue with Southbury is that there is no real town center. No green, like a proper old New England town. Not very strollable.

Have you been to Southbury lately? There are sidewalks stretching all the way down Main Street South whre people stroll every day. There is also the Southbury Green where events take place at the gazebo and large lawn. If you have not been to Southbury lately, you might want to swing by. There are alot mor stores, restaurants, etc. than when we moved here 12 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut