Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Long standing reputation for being pro-active?
I'd say it has been at least a decade now. That qualifies as "long-standing" in my book.

And, of all people, you should know what i mean about keeping your lips sealed. The s**t that goes on at NCHS is eye opening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2011, 01:16 PM

21,617 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'd say it has been at least a decade now. That qualifies as "long-standing" in my book.

And, of all people, you should know what i mean about keeping your lips sealed. The s**t that goes on at NCHS is eye opening.
I remember the town wide intervention for parents of NHS students and that was in 2006, right when heroin (dope) was becoming big. The community didn't really become actively involved in drug prevention until late in the 00's, but now they are certainly a model for other towns in the area that are battling the same epidemic (New Fairfield, Oxford and Shelton to name a few).

NCHS was bad in the very late 90's and 00-01 with cocaine. It still is. I don't think heroin is or ever was an issue there like in upper FFC. Either way, I guess it's splitting hairs to say which town is worse, though heroin by injection is very, very bad.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:03 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Brookfield (BHS) also has a bad problem. I know a few very young people that battled with addictions there and unfortunately did not survive.

I'm not sure what it is. Complacent parents + no in-town activities + upper middle class disposable income?

It was unheard of when I was growing up in the area 10 years ago.

Old 05-01-2011, 06:26 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Brookfield (BHS) also has a bad problem. I know a few very young people that battled with addictions there and unfortunately did not survive.

I'm not sure what it is. Complacent parents + no in-town activities + upper middle class disposable income?

It was unheard of when I was growing up in the area 10 years ago.
Brookfield HS?? I haven't heard of any drug related deaths there?

There were drugs in my high school almost 30 years ago. Rampant..easy to get. And, I suspect drugs had been there long before I attended.

One of the worst high schools for drugs is Seymour HS. So bad they had to bring in dogs to sniff for drugs. Teachers often saw arms with track marks. A lot dealers come from Seymour, Ansonia and Derby. So, it isn't just the wealthy high schools that have drugs.

I think the majority of parents in any given town, are not complacent...sometimes kids fall in with the wrong crowd..and kids can be masters of deceipt.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
Brookfield HS?? I haven't heard of any drug related deaths there?

There were drugs in my high school almost 30 years ago. Rampant..easy to get. And, I suspect drugs had been there long before I attended.

One of the worst high schools for drugs is Seymour HS. So bad they had to bring in dogs to sniff for drugs. Teachers often saw arms with track marks. A lot dealers come from Seymour, Ansonia and Derby. So, it isn't just the wealthy high schools that have drugs.

I think the majority of parents in any given town, are not complacent...sometimes kids fall in with the wrong crowd..and kids can be masters of deceipt.
Don't want to go into too much detail, but BHS was post grads. But still very young and the habits started in HS.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
I know there's a heroin problem in some of the Norwalk and Stamford high schools. So now we have drugs in both urban and suburban schools. If someone knows of a completely drug-free high school, I want to know where it is.

Old 05-02-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Don't want to go into too much detail, but BHS was post grads. But still very young and the habits started in HS.
Same EXACT thing with Newtown and Oxford. Renovating (if actually a parent) has the "not my town" syndrome that Newtowners regretted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I know there's a heroin problem in some of the Norwalk and Stamford high schools. So now we have drugs in both urban and suburban schools. If someone knows of a completely drug-free high school, I want to know where it is.
All high schools have drugs, but the ones we're discussing have a known epidemic with heroin. Are there heroin users in Norwalk and Stamford? Of course. Did these two cities see a dramatic rise in teen arrests and deaths in the past 8 or so years? No.

Also, the heroin in the inner-cities is generally abused in pill form while in the suburbs, injection is the preferred method.

If you want, I can post drug stats showing teen drug arrest rates over a 10 year span in Newtown and Oxford and compare it with the same stats for Stamford and Norwalk. I can also show teen mortality rates (which doesn't cite a cause of death, but it's not hard to draw a conclusion). It's really eye-opening.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:28 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,947 times
Quote:
If you want, I can post drug stats showing teen drug arrest rates over a 10 year span in Newtown and Oxford and compare it with the same stats for Stamford and Norwalk.
I would love to see the stats for teen drug arrests for all of Fairfield and New Haven County schools to compare. What is the link for this type of info?

Old 05-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I would love to see the stats for teen drug arrests for all of Fairfield and New Haven County schools to compare. What is the link for this type of info?
There is no "link". It's public information gathered by LEA's, so if you'd like to call every PD in New Haven and Fairfield, have at it. It was posted for a few towns here on the forum before, so if you'd like to do a search, have at that too.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 05-02-2011 at 09:02 AM..

Old 05-02-2011, 08:48 AM

Quote:
There is no "link". It's public information gather, so if you'd like to call every PD in New Haven and Fairfield, have at it. It was posted for a few towns here on the forum before, so if you'd like to do a search, have at that too.
Any idea how Milford compares to others?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut