Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 09:02 PM

21,638 posts, read 31,262,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sounds more like he is out for revenge. I won't answer the question since I think exs should work together to raise their kids instead of looking for ways to make each others life miserable. Jay
Well said Jay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 07:07 AM

10,007 posts, read 11,177,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeerose00 View Post
jp03, keep in mind, I'm looking at homes on acreage and this particular house has 8.

I looked at the town online multiple times and cannot find anything regarding chickens. So when I called the town they told me there was ONE person who could help me. That is a huge pet peeve of mine when calling someplace. Seriously, for a whole town, one person? So this one person in charge of zoning is the one who gave me the "from time to time" response.

I'm in love with this house but I'm already not liking the town. The owner of the house said chickens are no problem, but I need something in writing. I don't like vague rules. It makes me feel like a town can just do as they please willy nilly.

Kidyankee, I may end up a New Fairfielder so I don't want to bash them, BUT I have to agree with your assessment so far.
It's funny because I've read a lot of negative Newtown comments and so far they've been nothing but nice.

I'm sorry..was just joking around. Best of luck, New Fairfield is actually a good town. My grandparents lived there for 30 years. No bad experiences. The thing I hated about N.F. was how hard it was to get to. 20 minutes plus just to get to the highway...its really tucked in.

Old 10-21-2010, 07:35 AM

627 posts, read 1,059,973 times
It may just be the difference between a farm town and a non-farm one, and how used to animals they are.

Practically speaking, I assume most people just get chickens without going to the zoning board, and the zoning board hears the complaints after the fact.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 AM

526 posts, read 1,004,256 times
I know two people in New Fairfield with chickens and neither has had any issues concerning them. One family is on only a 1/2 of an acre.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:24 AM

2,639 posts, read 7,440,019 times
I know exactly what house you are talking about in New Fairfield. It has been on the market for a very long time, and started off considerably higher. You should have your buyers agent call town hall to find out the regulations for animals.

Old 10-21-2010, 06:13 PM

834 posts, read 2,280,281 times
Well, we are passing on the house because it's really just too much for us, price and tax-wise. Back to searching Newtown.
I thought house hunting would be fun. It's not, lol.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:10 PM

92 posts, read 203,367 times
A quick read of the zoning regs provides a listing of things prohibited everywhere in new Fairfield regardless of acreage:
Piggeries, pigeon coops, kennels, fur farms, goat farms, poultry farms (I would ask someone at town hall how they define "farm". I know you said you want only a few chickens, but this is a town that defines kennel as keeping anymore than 3 dogs!)
Other thing prohibited: racetracks, drive in theaters, prisons, junkyards, commercial slaughtering, dumping/incinerating garbage, trailer parks, mobile homes, amusement parks, and car dealerships

I didn't see anything about horses, although I only did a quick read

Regarding a 2 family home... I think all of nf is zoned as single family residences (except the senior citizen condos/town homes in town). However many people go before the zoning board of appeals for a variance to convert to a mother-daughter type set up. The people at town hall probably can't comment on this for you though because the outcome of an appeal can't be known until you get before the board.

Hope this helps!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:12 PM

92 posts, read 203,367 times
Oh geez... I just saw your last post. Sorry it didn't work out. Happy hunting...you will find the perfect house!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:54 PM

327 posts, read 1,120,165 times
Think NF zoning is a PITA try Milford!!!

Old 11-03-2010, 03:31 AM

502 posts, read 1,393,684 times
Hi YRose,
I remember you were living in the Farmington Valley; wondering if you had ever considered Granby... affordable housing can be found there, with acreage. Lots of new construction also. Granby is also big on horses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut