Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:30 AM

6 posts, read 8,516 times

Advertisements

I'm due to start working in Stamford CT on Dec. 6. I'm looking to rent but not in the Stamford area due to cost. A reasonable commute for me is about 20 min by car. I'm not against taking the train either.

I'm looking for rentals in the 1000.00 for a one bedroom, 1300 or so for two bedroom.

Please be nice as housing prices in TX are some of the lowest and I'm not used to paying really rental prices

Which other cities/towns are within reasonable of StamFord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:22 AM

Default This is address where I'll be working

Address Department 120 Long Ridge Road
P.O. Box 10216
Stamford, CT 06902 (US)

Any ideas where would be a good place to rent and commute to this address?

Old 11-27-2010, 05:14 PM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
You're going to have a tough time because a 20 min commute still keeps you well within Fairfield County, which is the pricey part of CT. Shelton is a nice town, but you are looking at a 35 min commute, minimum. Also, a word of advice - do not rely on 95 as your primary route from home to work - you will be driving with the NYC traffic coming and going. Imagine I-635 & North Central combined...on a bad day, every day. The Merritt Parkway is a better choice for a commute, but not by much…but at least it’s a pretty drive.

If it was me, I'd rather rent a very small apartment in Stamford than battle CT traffic on a daily basis, at least until I have time to settle down and get to know the area.

BTW...welcome to CT. I hope you like cold weather.

Old 11-27-2010, 09:54 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
You do realize that you are moving from one of the least expensive parts of the country to one of the most expensive. You will not find much for $1000 per month within 20 minutes of Stamford (at least anything that is decent in a safe area). Maybe ocnsider sharing a place there.

You could start in Norwalk but I don't think there is much there for you either. I would also recommend you consider Bridgeport. Black Rock, west of Ellsworth Street and the North End, north of North Avenue and west of Main Street are best. Note though that you will not be within 20 minutes of Stamford especially if you are commuting during rush hour. I would also recommend you consider a train and check to see if the building you work in offers a shuttle from the station to the building. Many do. Good luck, Jay

Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 AM

Default What do you think??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
You're going to have a tough time because a 20 min commute still keeps you well within Fairfield County, which is the pricey part of CT. Shelton is a nice town, but you are looking at a 35 min commute, minimum. Also, a word of advice - do not rely on 95 as your primary route from home to work - you will be driving with the NYC traffic coming and going. Imagine I-635 & North Central combined...on a bad day, every day. The Merritt Parkway is a better choice for a commute, but not by much…but at least it’s a pretty drive.

If it was me, I'd rather rent a very small apartment in Stamford than battle CT traffic on a daily basis, at least until I have time to settle down and get to know the area.

BTW...welcome to CT. I hope you like cold weather.
Figured you were from Dallas when you mentioned 635 (that's before I read your name)

I was thinking of staying close or even in Stamford, but honestly don't know what the area looks like or how many rental places there may be around there. I'm very amenable to train commute as well.

Do you think I should drive my car up to CT before I have a permanent apartment or keep it here in TX until I find a perm place? I'll have to come back a few times to Dallas before I'm fully settled as I am starting the job before having a place to live much less move to...

Old 11-28-2010, 12:14 AM

Default Honestly I didn't know what I was getting into...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
You do realize that you are moving from one of the least expensive parts of the country to one of the most expensive. You will not find much for $1000 per month within 20 minutes of Stamford (at least anything that is decent in a safe area). Maybe ocnsider sharing a place there.

You could start in Norwalk but I don't think there is much there for you either. I would also recommend you consider Bridgeport. Black Rock, west of Ellsworth Street and the North End, north of North Avenue and west of Main Street are best. Note though that you will not be within 20 minutes of Stamford especially if you are commuting during rush hour. I would also recommend you consider a train and check to see if the building you work in offers a shuttle from the station to the building. Many do. Good luck, Jay
When I took the job, just that I needed to get back to work after being laid off... CT sounded good and since I haven't had that much luck here in Texas figured why not...

Anyhow, taking a train would be more than fine with me, I just don't know what cities the train travels to that I could find an affordable (relative) place. I'll certainly look at your suggestions.

Keep em coming

Old 11-28-2010, 10:29 AM

457 posts, read 905,230 times
Start with Craig's List to see what is available in Stamford. An apartment locator service could also be a big help. Jay mentioned the Blackrock section of Bridgeport - I hear it is kind of nice, so you might want to check it out. The rest of Bridgeport is like south Oak Cliff - you know, shootings, poverty, decay...all the fun stuff.

You will need a car - most of CT is not pedestrian-friendly. Whether you keep the car in Texas and rent up here is up to you. I made the drive from Dallas to CT last year and once was enough for me.

If you want to commute by train, I suggest starting with the Metro North site. Stamford has a wonderful train station; the only question is how do you get from the station to work? Have you talked with your new employer? They might know if there are bus routes or shuttles available.

Old 11-28-2010, 01:14 PM

Default Most thanks for your helpful advice

I will probably take my car. I need some winter maintenance. You wouldn't happen to be a BMW fanatic as well would you?? From the e46fanatics.com site? Just hoping because I like to do most of the mechanic work myself but a set of helping hands is always welcome.

I saw some decent places in Stamford online and Norwalk. Craigslist hasn't been very helpful because my options are (New Haven, hartford, eastern ct, nw ct, or fairfield county) - needless to say I'm not too good at figuring out which area to look in, although I have been trying.

I don't expect to find a place in a day, but I figure within a week or two I should be able to find something. The time sucks, as it's the holidays, but when you're unemployed you do what you gotta do to get back on your feet.

Thanks for your attention and hopefully you can help me some more.

Luis

Old 11-28-2010, 04:11 PM

1,000 posts, read 1,806,421 times
I moved from Dallas to Connecticut back in 2003. However I moved up to Hartford County, and found an apartment for under $1000 for 2 bedrooms 2 bath. We moved to New Haven Co. in 2004, and bought a place, and prices were higher, but probably not as high as Fairfield Co.

Keep your eyes open, check the online classified ads (craigslist, if I can say it). Good luck! I miss Texas!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:58 PM

34,940 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallascaper View Post
The rest of Bridgeport is like south Oak Cliff - you know, shootings, poverty, decay...all the fun stuff.
This is not true. The North End which I mentioned is also very nice. It makes up a good one quarter of the city proper. Also the Treeland and Beardsley Park areas are not bad either. This is generally to area north of Boston Avenue, east of Route 8 and west of Yellow Mill river. There are even a few areas outside of these that are good too. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut