Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 08:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving from Michigan MFM View Post
I am looking at the possibility of a move from MI to Hartford, CT. My work would be in the city, so I'm looking for a short commute to the suburbs. Please help with ideas... Requirements: good schools (6 yr old), nice community, local activities.... homes in 250 - 350k range.... Thanks in advance!
Try Southington CT......great schools......easy access to I 84...25 minutes to Hartford.
Small town, has hospital and shopping. Lived there for 8 years before leaving to travel full time in RV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 08:25 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,365,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by connecticut View Post
I've lived all over the country & I understand every place has its positives & negatives. I have lived in CT, 30 min from the Hartford area (which I always drive to for "everything") for over 4 years now. Every May & June I've been here has been cold, wet & miserable ... my experience is that winter is the dominant season here and it really does kick in around Oct-Nov & the climate stays very unpleasant through June (yes, June.) The leaves slowly start changing color in early-mid August, every year I've been up here. The trees are bare by November & the sky is a pastey-white, the color of a piece of paper, for approx 8 months of the year, most of the time. The leaves on the trees don't typically bud out until late April and I didn't see 'em until late May one year, I distinctly remember! Strangely, though, we "always" seem to get a couple nice, warm sunny weekends in April every year, kinda a weird phenomenon. I will tell you, this is far north and it gets dark & cold early. Also, I feel like this place is stuck in the 1970s, frozen in time. Hey, someone else might like that ... I'm referring to the laws, social fabric, FM radio stations, downtown areas of many (not all) communities, etc. - the general, overall way of life. Of course there are nice, polite people everywhere, including CT but, in general, the folks up here are not known for their friendliness & manners, I can assure you. To me, they are very abrasive compared to people outside of the Northeast. Fall is very beautiful here & there is a lot of wildlife. Affordable real estate can easily be found. However, the state has the most number of days until Tax Freedom Day in the whole country. Goods & services are very expensive up here. As for Lyme disease, I have met a lot of people who have it and your best bet is to check out the stats online ... Google "CT" & "ticks" or "Lyme Disease" and compare the number of yearly cases in this state to the state's population, then decide if you think it's a problem. It may not be a problem, just like the weather, if you're not an outdoors person. Obviously the place is not for me but may be a great place to live for someone else ... good luck, to all.
Moving from Michigan

The climate information above is totally false, Since I have a degree in climate science, maybe I should provide you with some FACTS.....

A winter in Connecticut will seem like a breeze combared to a winter in the Mid-West. In the short 90 days of winter, Connecticut has many 45 F days, sunshine, and mostly – RAIN! Connecticut (as well as the rest of the East Coast below Massachusetts) does not have a winter in the Midwest sense of the word - only a short cold season for about 90 days. Although there is the occasional respectable snowstorm, winters here are generally short and rather mild. The big noreaster is the exception, not the rule. The long, hot summers are the dominant climatic feature of the Tri-State/Mid Atlantic region.

Now on to the FACTS….

Sunshine (Winter & Summer).

Connecticut and the Tri-State area (NYC-Long Island/NJ/CT) is sunnier than the Miid West year-round…but especially in winter. As you can see by the mid winter map below - Connecticut receives more sun than Illinois in winter. Chicago receives an average of 119 hours a month in January, New Haven receives 149 hours of sunshine. In fact, southern and central Connecticut is one of the more sunny areas of the USA in the cold season (Nov – March).

Central and Southern Connecticut - receives as much January sunshine as a wide array of areas across the USA …places like Northern Nevada/Northern Utah, East Texas (Dallas, Houston), North Georgia (Atlanta), Oklahoma City…etc. In fact, wide areas of the USA – places like most of the West Coast (northern California, Oregon, Washington), the northern interior states (Minnesota to Maine), and much of the interior upper South (Kentucky, Tennessee, Northern Mississippi, Alabama..ect) receive less sun than the southern Connecticut in winter.

Temperatures

Connecticut is located in the climate type know as “Mild Temperate Rainy” . This climate type extends across most of the East Coast from below Massachusetts to Virginia. Despite all the banter about for seasons – below Massachusetts on the Atlantic Coast… there is really only two seasons 1) The Warm Season (Mid April to early November), and the 2) The Cold Season (late November to March). True spring and fall weather - lasts about 2 weeks.

Summers - From late May to late September– the Azores/Bermuda High dominates much of the weather on the Atlantic Coast. Hot, sunny, humid days, with thunderstorms, and nights that are oppressive as well. At times the THI in the East can combine with the temps, and make it feel like 110 F to 115 F. If you are from the Chicago area, you don’t need to be told about summer heat, although you my find the humidity on the East Coast more sultry and tropical.

By early November, the storm tracks move out of Canada into the United States, resulting in more frontal weather…. with 3 or 4 dry days,…. than a rainy day or two…. with wide swings in tempretures. Winter in Connecticut begins in early December and lasts till late March. Most of Connecticut recives about 34 inches of snow (less on the shore/more in the northern part of the state). New Haven, Connecticut, for example recives about half as much snow as Chicago.(24 inches to 45 inches). Spring is April, and lasts two weeks. It goes from 47 F, brown and leafless the first week or so of April…..to 79 F, humid, a southerly wind, and Thailand -green the third week of April.

I put some monthly summaries for you see what an average month in the two seasons is like. Being ultru-consertive using the data…..I tried to find months that were as close to average (+/- 1.5 degree or less). As you can see the comments that May is cold and miserable, and winter kinks in October….are …. well ridiculous. As you can see – May is one of the nicest months on the East Coast, days are in the 70’s and 80’s, and nights in the 50’s. In October, the highs are very pleasant also, 65 to 70 F. It was 85 F outside yesterday. I was at the beach and in the ocean along the Rhode Island coast! Today it will be in the mid 70’s.

One last point to remember. People love to hype the weather. The syndrome of my life not going well, and I hate everything about this place (including the climate), runs rampant from coast to coast. I have heard people say the weather stinks in Florida and California. People can create their own senses of reality to justify their feelings or pain. So be warned - GET THE FACTS. There are many sites (I us NOAA) with factual information.

Good Luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Possible Relocation to Hartford - Help!!-sun.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt National Weather Service - Climate Dataoct.txt (6.8 KB, 212 views)
File Type: txt National Weather Service - Climate Data.txt (6.8 KB, 308 views)

Old 10-07-2007, 08:40 PM

41 posts, read 157,622 times
This post is over a year old people

Old 10-21-2007, 06:48 AM

22 posts, read 65,261 times
Having a lot of ticks in the yard also has a lot to do with how you maintain your yard. We don't have a tick problem in our yard, hiking in the woods may be a different problem. We do live at the edge of the woods. I've rarely found a tick in the yard and we do have plenty of deer around.

In Florida, where a few of my friends moved, they fight the roaches and the blistering heat and humidity. It's all a personal preference.

I think any area in the world has issues. It's just a matter of what you want to deal with.

Personally, I would miss the changing of the seasons.

Old 10-21-2007, 06:53 AM

22 posts, read 65,261 times
You've received several good suggestions about the various towns. I'd also avoid Windsor.

Wethersfield is a beautiful town. Simsbury, Avon and Canton are great.. no highway as others have said (this can be a good thing when it comes to crime with no easy access). Ellington, you will get a lot of house for the $$$. It's a developing community. Big mall nearby, highway... I don't know much about the schools but you can Google various towns and see where their schools fall in the ratings.

Connecticut is a great state. Near the mountains and near the ocean. Plenty to do, if you are so inclined and have interests.

Good luck with your move!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:28 AM

640 posts, read 2,012,804 times
Connecticut is on a freight train to an economic wreck. Like much of the northeast...the costs of doing business here is catching up. If you have family money its a great place...but the economy is going to take a beating.

We've been playing in a house of cards the last 8 years...
Coupled with the fact that kids have been emptying out of here in droves for years. You get the idea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut