Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobinJ View Post
I think it really depends on where you are looking to live in CT.
I don't agree. All of the added costs (or hidden, rather) are pretty much statewide. Believe it or not, the wealthiest towns generally have the lowest mil rates - so FFC is not as insane as people claim it to be with regards to taxes and nickel and diming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 12:42 PM

345 posts, read 914,426 times
I have used that calculator and do not find it accurate. I am not in the Denver area nor am I looking to move to the 3 CT places listed.

I have no clue what Lipitor is or why it is featured on all COL calulators

Heat I pay min $250 a month, they say $179
Lists mortgage as $1,323, I pay $2,279
Not sure where they get phone costs $23, here it is $68 min for a home phone.
Odd but internet and cable are not listed, net I pay $55 a month for high speed and cable/sat tv I pay $89 a month.
Ground beef is not $2.42 it is $3.89
Eggs well I have no idea, I walk out to the chickens and collect mine

I like the calculators that let you put in zip codes or actual cities/towns. But I doubt any are very accurate which is why I am asking here and look at prices myself.

Tobin, it costs alot every time you get your plates, yearly. If it is a new car they charge you $500 (regular car) to $ 800 ( large truck/ SUV). It goes down each year as the value of your car does. Right now for my Escape which is 7 years old I paid $200 for my plates then got hit with road fees and other fees so an extra $60 or so dollars. My 07 Ranger cost $405 this year including all the new road fees etc.
Sales tax here is 8.6% plus if you shop at the newer stores you are paying extra fees. New building fee and some other fee so at the bottom of your receipt you have extra charges which makes sales tax 9.7% here. They use to break it down now they just call it PIF. I thought your sales tax was around 6%?
85 gas which I buy is around $2.80 a gallon that last time I went but I pay .10 less since I grocery shop at the same place, spend $100 or more and get .10 off. I always spend more than $100

Old 01-06-2011, 02:05 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm_24 View Post
I have used that calculator and do not find it accurate. I am not in the Denver area nor am I looking to move to the 3 CT places listed.

Odd but internet and cable are not listed, net I pay $55 a month for high speed and cable/sat tv I pay $89 a month.
Understand that are ALL using averages. That was my initial point. CT doesn't work to well with averages as you have very poor cities and very expensive suburbs, so the "average" doesn't look so bad. In reality it costs your left nut to buy a house in a good school district that is not 50 years old and then you have 9K a year taxes just on your house to boot.

The three metro's listed reflect the three major sections of the state. CT is very small, so you don't have wide swings in costs aside from the three (I suppose you can call Eastern CT a fourth, but not really IMO) And really you can break the state down into SE CT, Central and Eastern regarding costs.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:38 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,231,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
And really you can break the state down into SE CT, Central and Eastern regarding costs.
Just for clarification purposes, I think JV meant SW CT.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:54 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just for clarification purposes, I think JV meant SW CT.

Thanks.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:00 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
Quote:
We have oil heat in our suburban Fairfield County home. The cost to heat your home will fluctuate as oil/gas prices do. In a good year we pay $300 or so a month to heat our 1700 sq. ft. home, and our house is pretty well insulated with new windows etc. Right now since oil prices are rising it is costing us closer to $400 a month during the coldest months. I heard on the news last week that next winter will be even higher. I keep our thermostat around 60 during the day, and 55 at night......our home taxes are over $6k a year, your mortgage will vary of course depending on your down payment.....our phone/internet/cable are bundled into a package with the base price of $199 a month, but with all the fees and taxes they add it's actually $220 a month...ground beef varies, right now Stop and Shop has 85% lean ground beef on sale for $3.99 a pound if you buy 3 lbs or more...egg prices also vary with sales, between $2.50-$3.50 per dozen, I buy them from local farms for around $3.50 a dozen.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:25 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Lipitor is a medication used for high cholesterol and it reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.

This is all good because when you see the cost of living in CT, there is a chance that you'll have a heart attack and/or stroke.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,906,622 times
You reminded me DandJ, if the OP has pets, they might also find the cost of veterinary care here to be very expensive, too.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:32 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,047,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
You reminded me DandJ, if the OP has pets, they might also find the cost of veterinary care here to be very expensive, too.
Does CT have higher vet care costs too? I didn't know that. Artie is my first dog as an adult. My previous dogs were when I was a kid in Montreal, so that wasn't my responsibility.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:48 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Lipitor is a medication used for high cholesterol and it reduces the risk of heart attack and stroke.

This is all good because when you see the cost of living in CT, there is a chance that you'll have a heart attack and/or stroke.
Hahaha ain't that the truth! Now there'll be a run on statins...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut