Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 08:31 AM

135 posts, read 437,463 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I need a good, catchy name for a catering business. I dont plan to do large weddings, or ceremonies like that at this time- but I hope to get there after some time
The business is going to be directed to private families- in Greenwich area- cooking for families, but not only. Healthy food, but not only- some soups, salads, homemade breads, rolls, appetizers etc.
I dont want to include my name in the business name, I would rather it to be unique, and something that you could use for a little restaurant style- thats my goal in the future
Here are some ideas I came up with:

"Thyme of Heaven",
"Taste the Best",
"Thyme for a bite",
"Sticky Fingers" - I like the name, although not sure if that would go well in that area- sounds more like chicken, or french fries food.
"Bon Appetit" - I looove the name, would it make any sense to name my business like that, if I'm not going to cook a lot of French cusine?
"My way of cooking"
"What's for dinner?"

I would appreciate if you let me know what you think about those names, please commend also if you hate them or think that they are really bad- and give your suggestions.

Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 09:06 AM

856 posts, read 2,014,694 times
How about "my personal Aga fund" LOL!

Honestly I'm not sure anyone really knows what thyme is other than it's an herb...I would avoid something like if you want to be more cutting edge. Bon Appetit...only if you want to get lost amongst the other Bon Appetits in the directory.

Do you have a favorite place? For instance I might call my business "Monadnock Masterpieces." I see your colorado posts so many something like "Denver Delights" or "Dinner from Denver."

Other good ideas are to pick a name that starts with an early letter of the alphabet since some people don't look beyond the first page of a directory, something like "Appetizing Meals."

Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
As a writer and editor -- someone who uses words for a living -- I have to say that a "cutesy" name might be a turn-off. It would be for me.

I agree with TobinJ about the use of "Thyme" in the name. Not a good idea. "Bon Appetit" is EVERYWHERE and used for EVERY imaginable food business. "Taste the Best," "My Way of Cooking," and "What's for Dinner?" don't sound right to my ears. "Sticky Fingers" is a Rolling Stones album, not a caterer.

If you truly make upper-echelon food, a cute name is not the way to go, in my opinion. And you want your business name to TELL what you do.

If your name does, in fact, start with an "M" (Magdalena), I would call it "Magdalena's Meals" or "Meals by Magdalena." The double-M (alliteration) is catchy without sounding overly cute.

If you're adamant against using your name and if, like you said, you'd be focusing on Greenwich families, then I'd call it "Greenwich Catering." No, wait, "Greenwich Catering" is already taken. So... "The Greenwich Caterer."

Old 01-20-2011, 09:22 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
If you want to attract the clientele in Greenwich, you don't want anything corny. Put some thought into it, but keep it classy. Maybe something like "The Greenwich Gala: A Caterer." Though that might be a little corny, I was looking for a G word to go with Greenwich.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:38 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,447,119 times
Some of the most popular caterers here in Greenwich are Garelick & Herbs, Aux Delices, and Garden Catering (for grilled food/fried food/sandwiches.) As all of the other posters said, cute names will turn off Greenwich customers. Depending on whether you're planning to make healthy "everyday" food or high-end dinner party food, that may help you decide whether to go with a basic name like "Colorado Cuisine" or something more fancy.

Old 01-20-2011, 11:17 AM

7,372 posts, read 14,675,499 times
sircooksalot

Old 01-20-2011, 12:19 PM

526 posts, read 1,002,878 times
Just please don't use the words "Class", "Classy" or "Elegant". They should be left for Limo Companies and in mall hair salons.

Old 01-20-2011, 01:27 PM

Hi everyone,
Thanks so much for your comments, now I'm even more confused... Ok- so you don't like the thyme... Fine, don't have to do it.
I really don't want to have a name that is so obvious like Magdalenas catering, or Greenwich catering- its boring, besides that there are many people out there who already have names like that- bills catering, Amys catering... Don't want to be one of them.
I need a name that is short, easy to remember, says sth abut cousine...right this might be hard because I want to make few dishes on a couple different cousines. I'm sure to have many soups selections, salads, own bread rolls atc- same cakes- pasta dishes, some pizza, mexican food. I would say that it would be more of everyday food, but like to get to private families.
Knowing this, tell me please how would you name a business like that?
Ps. I'm not from CO, was thinking of moving there, but visited last summer and change my mind- not leaving CT

Old 01-20-2011, 01:30 PM

What about - " grab a bite"?

Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,018,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magdalena1 View Post
What about - " grab a bite"?
Personally -- and again, this is just my opinion -- I fnd it too cutesy.

Here. I'll give you a good example. There's a restaurant in downtown Hartford that serves absolutely delicious food. Their name is "Dish." Short. Clever. Catchy. Not cute -- it just has the "yeah!" factor.

So, "Bite" -- to me -- is better than "Grab a Bite."

Also, "bite" implies a snack more than a meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut