Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 11:22 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times

Advertisements

Malloy proposes to eliminate 55% of the state’s deficit with spending cuts and 45% with tax increases.
Connecticut Commentary: Red Notes from a Blue State: Governor Malloy’s Budget Intentions

I'm not sure Foley could have done it 100% but 55% is dismal and Cuomo in NY has pledged to do it without a tax hike. Hate to say "told you so", but this is no surprise. I'm not sure why people thought this wouldn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 11:57 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
That the only thing politicians seem to be able to do these days is raise taxes. God forbid they just make due with what they have, or less, like the taxpayers themselves do.

Old 01-29-2011, 11:59 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,436,100 times
I'm not surprised. Personally, knew it was coming..

Old 01-29-2011, 12:03 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Knocker View Post
That the only thing politicians seem to be able to do these days is raise taxes. God forbid they just make due with what they have, or less, like the taxpayers themselves do.
Why does government have to grow every year? I love when they say they will only expand 2% instead of 5% and call it a "cut". Really? I want to see a negative number, and government actually get smaller. Why is that so hard?

Remember too, once a tax is instituted (Tolls?) it's there. It's so rare that a tax is repealed you can pretty much count on any new tax as being the new standard. If they HAVE to raise taxes for an emergency, lets see it with a 1-2 year sunset. At least that gives the hike an expiration date.

Whatever...the state is 100% democratically controlled now, so that's that. Government will get larger and taxes will go up.

Old 01-29-2011, 03:07 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,953,490 times
I couldn't be less surprised.

Never fall for it when politicians say that they'll institute a new tax so they can lower other taxes. What always happens is that you end up with both taxes, at higher levels. This is a perfect example. The income tax was supposed to solve all the state's fiscal problems, but the politicians spent all the money and then some. And the income tax rates have already been raised twice since it was instituted, even before whatever Malloy proposes.

People do get the government they deserve. We keep electing a legislature that cares only about spending more money and raising taxes, and this is what we get.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:24 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,417,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Why does government have to grow every year? I love when they say they will only expand 2% instead of 5% and call it a "cut". Really? I want to see a negative number, and government actually get smaller. Why is that so hard?
I dont know, but growth is very important to every politico I know. The way I see it once we have everything we need for the people who live here we're good to go. really growth shouldn't mean taxes need to go up anyway, if everything is done fairly & responsibly more people paying in should if anything lower the cost per person.

Thats another subject though. Given our current economic climate I'd be for cutting every non essential program or position we have. The problem, both at state & federal levels is there is not even a pretense of fairness or objectivity anymore. Most of us have taken a huge hit if we can find work at all & raising my taxes so the state & federal employees can keep their jobs & bennies intact, people can sit home & collect welfare, politicians can jet set around the world and illegal immigrants can go to the doctor is so far out I cant have any respect for any elected person who isn't for cutting his/her own salary & benefits. Lets see Malloy cut his pay. Theres no reason in the world our state cant be run today on the money collected 5 years ago. Its an outright disgrace.

Quote:
Remember too, once a tax is instituted (Tolls?) it's there. It's so rare that a tax is repealed you can pretty much count on any new tax as being the new standard. If they HAVE to raise taxes for an emergency, lets see it with a 1-2 year sunset. At least that gives the hike an expiration date.
We the people are just money machines for the govt, dont you know that?

Quote:
Whatever...the state is 100% democratically controlled now, so that's that. Government will get larger and taxes will go up.
Its been awhile since we werent liberal, even with a Republican Governor and a couple general assembly seats. The liberals infected our Republicans a long time ago.
Its a lost cause when you have so many voters on the public dole anyway. It amazes me that we let people who dont contribute have a say on how to spend other peoples money.
Wasn't how it was meant to be at all & now we are suffering the consequences.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:49 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,846,341 times
Get ready for what? Another tax increase? Like that is something new.....

Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 PM

Well, we've had this dysfunctional system whereby nobody had any real responsibility because the governor and legislature just pointed fingers at each other. And the voters were protected from the full consequences of the way they were voting.

Now the rubber will hit the road. They won't be able to point fingers at each other, and the voters will get the full measure of what they've voted for for years. Let's see how they like it.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,864,343 times
all i know is i dont have any more money to give people, so if they want more there going to have to split me open and sell my blood or something...

Old 01-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
all i know is i dont have any more money to give people, so if they want more there going to have to split me open and sell my blood or something...
The politicians won't be happy until they've done that to everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut