Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 04:55 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
So CT grew at a slower rate than the national average. Not surprising.
Be happy for this. If it grew at the rate of other states, we'd be gridlocked 24/7. Keep in mind we're a fraction of the size of the states we're being compared to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 08:08 AM

274 posts, read 518,722 times
Some people in CT may want us to believe that the state is recovering because the inner city population is growing and the artificially created unemployment rate is going down. So where are all the new jobs to support these people? If the insurance companies were making any significant return it would be the lead story in all the local news media. Manufacturing jobs can't return because we still have the same regulations that drove them out of here. We lost so much Agricultural land to the real estate mcmansion boom that there can't be any job growth in that sector. Hiring in the financial industries is flat. The construction industry is flat except for state construction and those jobs do more to drag down our economy than we get in return.

So why are they coming here if they know there are no jobs? They are coming here because other states are restricting their ability to stay on welfare. Those states are telling their people that if they want to live their entire lives on welfare, they need to move to Connecticut. So how do we react to this? We brag about them coming here because it increases our states population. They are moving to the inner cities because they have never earned enough money to be able to live in our much more expensive suburbs. They are only putting us deeper in debt. They are bringing even more crime and drugs to the streets. It's reached the point that police are becoming afraid to go out on the streets. The New Haven police are telling residents to arm themselves. The problem with that is that the only people that can actually afford to arm themselves to any significant degree are the drug dealers who BTW are also collecting welfare.

So what happens when you are paying so much in taxes and fees that you can't afford to put food on your families table and theirs? Do you start firing police hoping to buy yourselves a little more time? They are doing this in New Haven. Let's see how well that works out! You may not be prepared to fight for the food on your tables but the welfare lifers are! Get used to home invasions because they will become a common occurrence.

I could stay and fight but one way or another, I will be a long way from here before it gets to that point. I will be where people have a reputation for standing and working together or I will be where people are very few and far between. I have no use for people looking for someone to cower behind when the shooting starts.

Old 03-11-2011, 09:19 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
Some people in CT may want us to believe that the state is recovering because the inner city population is growing and the artificially created unemployment rate is going down. So where are all the new jobs to support these people? If the insurance companies were making any significant return it would be the lead story in all the local news media. Manufacturing jobs can't return because we still have the same regulations that drove them out of here. We lost so much Agricultural land to the real estate mcmansion boom that there can't be any job growth in that sector. Hiring in the financial industries is flat. The construction industry is flat except for state construction and those jobs do more to drag down our economy than we get in return.

So why are they coming here if they know there are no jobs? They are coming here because other states are restricting their ability to stay on welfare. Those states are telling their people that if they want to live their entire lives on welfare, they need to move to Connecticut. So how do we react to this? We brag about them coming here because it increases our states population. They are moving to the inner cities because they have never earned enough money to be able to live in our much more expensive suburbs. They are only putting us deeper in debt. They are bringing even more crime and drugs to the streets. It's reached the point that police are becoming afraid to go out on the streets. The New Haven police are telling residents to arm themselves. The problem with that is that the only people that can actually afford to arm themselves to any significant degree are the drug dealers who BTW are also collecting welfare.

So what happens when you are paying so much in taxes and fees that you can't afford to put food on your families table and theirs? Do you start firing police hoping to buy yourselves a little more time? They are doing this in New Haven. Let's see how well that works out! You may not be prepared to fight for the food on your tables but the welfare lifers are! Get used to home invasions because they will become a common occurrence.

I could stay and fight but one way or another, I will be a long way from here before it gets to that point. I will be where people have a reputation for standing and working together or I will be where people are very few and far between. I have no use for people looking for someone to cower behind when the shooting starts.
Unfortunatley I have to agree with your statment.

I've always said, it's going to come down to this: The ultra rich and "lifers" in the ghetto are going to be okay, the rest of us are screwed unless some drastic changes are made personally or otherwise.

Gold, God and Bullets are a good investment these days.

Old 03-11-2011, 11:01 AM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post

Man. It'd be tough to be more wrong. Agriculture grew in CT, mostly aquaculture, but Federal Policies are against us there. Oh well, whatever, not like agriculture nationwide is a hiring industry (again, automation). And despite the complaints you have, CT has the least amount of poor people in proportion to the population, balanced by an actual middle class. Very few people are on "welfare for life" except seriously mentally handicapped people.

Furthermore, what do you think is happening across the nation? That jobs are plentiful and middle class is thriving? No. In most of the boom areas the job market completely and utterly imploded, and it's incredibly hard to find a job just about anywhere. And now that the cheaper ride of suburban sprawl is essentially over many of these areas truly have not much really going for them.

~Cheers

Old 03-11-2011, 11:14 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,008,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
CT has the least amount of poor people in proportion to the population, balanced by an actual middle class. Very few people are on "welfare for life" except seriously mentally handicapped people.
Way to manipulate the data.

Living at the federal poverty line in CT is far more strapping than doing so in say FL or AR etc. So while technically there may be less below the poverty line, there are far more here who are "poor".

$40K for a family of 4 in CT is the pits. It can give you a decent life in other parts of the nation.

Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,186,024 times
And you're not? Someone making $40k here is not likely to be making $40k in the low cost areas. That's either $9/hr if there are two earners, or $22/hr if they are single. Actually god to honest poor is more like $9/hr for a single earner with 3 children (in this area).

PS, I'm also going by food insecurity which CT ranks around 2nd or 3rd least among youths.

~Cheers

Old 03-11-2011, 12:16 PM

42 posts, read 78,063 times
i have been reading the articles the past few days, especially the bpt/stamford/nwalk ones

norwalk has a reported pop of 85kish now. i have said it beofre and i still think the actual pop is alot more than that, but thats another tpoic.

more importantly is one poster on the first page is right. while stamford is quickly growing, alot of blacks/hispanic etc are moving to norwalk as stamford cleans up.
one of the lastest norwalk hour articles shows that the pop of hispanics in norwalk rose from 12k in 2000 to 20k in 2010. thosre are legal hispanics who reported to the census i remind you...
norwalk numbrs shows a extrememly diverse city which is why i believ it contiues to get worse by the year in crime/city life/travel/schools/roads/govt etc
the #'s show 20kish hispanic, 20kish black, 40kish white with a mix for a small % left...

norwalk 5 years from now the way stamford and even bpt are cleaning up will be talked about like bpt was 5 years ago imo...

Old 03-11-2011, 04:12 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Be happy for this. If it grew at the rate of other states, we'd be gridlocked 24/7. Keep in mind we're a fraction of the size of the states we're being compared to.
Yeah, you can be sure that even if the population doubled the NIMBYs would not allow transportation infrastructure of any kind to be expanded.

Old 03-11-2011, 04:16 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,086,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Very few people are on "welfare for life" except seriously mentally handicapped people.
If you're a schemer, you find somebody who will give you a diagnosis of depression or bipolar, and the SSI check will replace your welfare check.

Old 03-14-2011, 11:26 AM

854 posts, read 1,241,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffldresident24 View Post
i have been reading the articles the past few days, especially the bpt/stamford/nwalk ones

norwalk has a reported pop of 85kish now. i have said it beofre and i still think the actual pop is alot more than that, but thats another tpoic.

more importantly is one poster on the first page is right. while stamford is quickly growing, alot of blacks/hispanic etc are moving to norwalk as stamford cleans up.
one of the lastest norwalk hour articles shows that the pop of hispanics in norwalk rose from 12k in 2000 to 20k in 2010. thosre are legal hispanics who reported to the census i remind you...
norwalk numbrs shows a extrememly diverse city which is why i believ it contiues to get worse by the year in crime/city life/travel/schools/roads/govt etc
the #'s show 20kish hispanic, 20kish black, 40kish white with a mix for a small % left...

norwalk 5 years from now the way stamford and even bpt are cleaning up will be talked about like bpt was 5 years ago imo...
so you really think Norwalk's Hispanics are bad for Norwalk?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut