Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM

487 posts, read 537,185 times

Advertisements

I've been to Norwalk numerous times including last Friday and they generally are pleasant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 09:19 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Did she have sandy colored hair and was working in the registration line? I ask because i also had a pleasant experience at Norwalk DMV yesterday.

I initially went to Bridgeport, and the place was an absolute zoo. Couldn't even get in the damn door.
She is in the leftward area, where they do vehicle registration and plates. Not the license section on the right.

She has a commanding voice and is possibly a tall woman, but I never saw her standing up, she was seated, but one can tell is someone can be tall.

She's a blast. The joke exchanges even reached people in the waiting chairs and they were all laughing.

And she did have sandy coloured hair. Again, having gone to weirdo DMV's in NC, CO and NY.... the norwalk DMV is much much easier and less stressful.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I always have long waits at Norwalk. I actually have the best luck in Danbury, and will actually drive a little further for the quick in and out.

Danbury seems to have the same or more tellers than Norwalk, yet lower volume.

Either way, the absolute best time to go is right before closing.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
I always have long waits at Norwalk. I actually have the best luck in Danbury, and will actually drive a little further for the quick in and out.

Danbury seems to have the same or more tellers than Norwalk, yet lower volume.
That's because half of Danbury's population can't legally register their vehicles!

Old 04-01-2011, 03:20 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
When I brought my car form Texas I had to go back three times. The reason: Texas doesn't provided a printed registration. It's affixed to the plate. But a printed registration was on their list of required documents. I finally spoke to a supervisor and got things rectified, but they did not make it easy. This was in Weathersfield.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:21 PM

87 posts, read 214,602 times
I have lived in stamford for 2.5 years with NY plates. Before that I lived in Texas with NY plates for a year. Before that I lived in stamford again with NY plates for 2 years. I have never had a problem. If you get pulled over for any reason, the officer may ask where you live and why you haven't changed your license and reg. The law requires that you change within 30 days of a residence change, if I recall correctly. So keep that in mind when you answer the question. By the way, this had nothing to do with tax - the amount is relatively trivial. My issue was the time wasted continually changing documents since my job has been somewhat transient in nature (though less so lately).

Incidentally, I am in the midst of changing to CT license and reg right now since I want the multi policy discount on my insurance. You can not have out of state reg with CT insurance.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM

105 posts, read 202,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stook1 View Post
You can not have out of state reg with CT insurance.
Are you sure? I had CT insurance and CO registration and driver's license for quite a long time. My insurance company didn't ask me to switch over to CT registration any point of time. I had to get CT registration finally because my CO registration was expiring. And when I went to DMV for that they asked me to get CT license too and I did that. My insurance company was fine with what I had.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:46 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I know some towns have gone around and keep track of out of state vehicles parked in their town. If they see that a car is parked regularly somewhere for more than a couple of weeks they will question the owner about where their main residence is. Too many people are trying to evade taxes by registering their vehicles out of state. Jay
The car tax here is just another reminder that the government thinks of us as a cash crop. The bonus is that it incentivizes towns to act like the Gestapo. (May we see your papers, please?)

Old 04-05-2011, 09:31 AM

1,497 posts, read 4,459,691 times
Insurance doesn't care where your car is registered as long as it is in fact legally registered and to the correct address. I've had a CA license and registration with NY insurance for 7 months now.

Since I do not intend to make NY my fixed and permanant residence (short term lease here while actively looking to move to CT) I'm within the limits of the law. If you move somewhere permanant and just don't switch it over after 30-90 days (depending on state) because you don't feel like it, though, you can get an expensive ticket if you get pulled over.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 638 times
My ex-husband bought me a car which is in his name. We are now divorced and had to refinance it in my name and went to re-register the vehicle in my name but the DMV said the registration had to stay in my ex-husband's name until the loan is paid off. Just recently my ex said he took his name off the registration and says I'm driving it unregistered. If I get pulled over my registration doesn't expire until next year and my insurance is up to date. Am I legal to drive it still?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut