Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2015, 07:39 PM

91 posts, read 171,479 times

Advertisements

...in the Tunxis hill/villa Ave/Gypsy Spring area of Fairfield you had Arlans (then Caldor, now Kohls), coupled with the supermarket "Pantry Pride" . PP was by far the dirtiest store in Fairfield. Always stank of rotted food as soon as you'd walk in the door! There was another Pantry Pride in the Circle in Fairfield-same deal there, too!
Then there was Topps dept store where Stop & Shop is now. It became Bradlees around 1973? I think? Up the street going towards Black Rock Tpke was the A&P...didn't shop there too much. Then onto BR Tpke was Finast, then became Big Buy. I believe it was originally a First National, IIRC.
I have many MANY early memories of this particular section of town, having grown up there and going shopping with my mom. Such great memories!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2015, 09:06 AM

5,104 posts, read 4,832,095 times
There was a Guida's ice cream store on the corner of Farmington Ave and ? in New Britain. Very close to the Farmington/New Britain city line. It was on the way to Batterson Park Pond. My mom used to take us kids there all the time.

The Stop & Shop on RT 372 in Cromwell used to be half its current size. The other half of the building was a Bradlees. During the 90's they took over that space and created the huge store there now. Despite that growth, the store still seems to be running the same number of employees it had before it expanded.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:06 AM

34,918 posts, read 56,918,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Wallace View Post
...in the Tunxis hill/villa Ave/Gypsy Spring area of Fairfield you had Arlans (then Caldor, now Kohls), coupled with the supermarket "Pantry Pride" . PP was by far the dirtiest store in Fairfield. Always stank of rotted food as soon as you'd walk in the door! There was another Pantry Pride in the Circle in Fairfield-same deal there, too!
Then there was Topps dept store where Stop & Shop is now. It became Bradlees around 1973? I think? Up the street going towards Black Rock Tpke was the A&P...didn't shop there too much. Then onto BR Tpke was Finast, then became Big Buy. I believe it was originally a First National, IIRC.
I have many MANY early memories of this particular section of town, having grown up there and going shopping with my mom. Such great memories!!
Hi Marc - I also grew up there during this time. I remember all of these. We may know each others families. My mothers family moved to Tunxis Hill in 1940, while my father's around 1915. Some of my family worked at Topps, right up until it closed. My mother always shopped at the A&P as well as Miro's for fruits and vegetables and Fairway and Leopold's for meats and cold cuts. Occasionally we would shop at First National/Finast/Big Buy or at Grand Union further up Black Rock Turnpike but only if there was something good on sale. Hard to believe there were so many supermarkets in Fairfield back then. Today you have 2 Stop & Shop's and a Shop Rite. Do you remember the W.T. Grants on Black Rock Turnpike too? Jay

Old 03-02-2015, 03:18 PM

287 posts, read 623,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Hi Marc - I also grew up there during this time. I remember all of these. We may know each others families. My mothers family moved to Tunxis Hill in 1940, while my father's around 1915. Some of my family worked at Topps, right up until it closed. My mother always shopped at the A&P as well as Miro's for fruits and vegetables and Fairway and Leopold's for meats and cold cuts. Occasionally we would shop at First National/Finast/Big Buy or at Grand Union further up Black Rock Turnpike but only if there was something good on sale. Hard to believe there were so many supermarkets in Fairfield back then. Today you have 2 Stop & Shop's and a Shop Rite. Do you remember the W.T. Grants on Black Rock Turnpike too? Jay
There's also a Whole Foods too. I miss the days of having locally-owned grocers like Mercurio's or whatever it was called. Do you remember (approximately) when Miro's closed?

Old 03-02-2015, 05:49 PM

91 posts, read 171,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Do you remember the W.T. Grants on Black Rock Turnpike too? Jay
I can't believe I left that one out! Of course! My mom worked @ Grants circa 1971-74? up until they closed. My sisters all worked around Ffld, too...one at the drug store across the street from Howland's on BRTpke, I want to say it was a SuperX but not quite sure...the others all worked at The Fairfield Store downtown. My maternal family came from the Tunxis Hill area, Soundview Ave..Nothing-and I mean nothing but great memories of growing up there during that time!

Old 03-02-2015, 06:59 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Anyone recall a meat store on Bridgeport Ave in Milford about 45 years ago. I think it may have been called Western Beef. You went into a freezer , grabbed a number, and all the cuts hung on hooks. they were a small store, non frozen smaller than a typical 7-11.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:28 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,229,733 times
There was a Western Beef in Brooklyn not far from where I grew up. REALLY ROUGH place LOL! Store was patrolled by guards who walked around with Neapolitan Mastiffs. Hated going there-- scared the hell out if me as a kid, but apparently the prices couldn't be beat! JK. We didn't go regularly, but did a few times, and I think more so for the novelty, because yes -- you absolutely did shop inside the freezer! -- and a big one at that too. Thanks for the memory

Last edited by Lalalally; 03-02-2015 at 09:25 PM..

Old 03-02-2015, 09:18 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,965,821 times
Lalally, my aunt shopped there, and want more memories (non retail). She worked at Jenkin Valves, long torn down and now the site of the Ballpark at Harbor Yard (Bridgeport Bluefish).

And, being a small world, I now live 3 miles from another team's stadium in their league, where I'll see the Bluefish in 2 months!

Old 03-03-2015, 01:08 AM

478 posts, read 773,603 times
Western Beef is still around, Staten Island and Brooklyn, to my knowledge.
Fairway in West Harlem also has a walk-in refrigerated meat room. Coats available at the door.

Old 03-03-2015, 01:10 AM

478 posts, read 773,603 times
As a kid I enjoyed many a hot fudge sundae (too many!) at the Farm Shop on Rte. 1 in Branford.
(I like to give some representation to New Haven county on this site. Fairfield and Hartford seem to own 85% of it.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut