Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 11:37 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Why not? The child attended high school here. They fulfilled the requirements. They are contributing members of the community.

Why not let them achieve more.

Is being an American so damn special that we have to exclude those undocumented folks who do everything right and will likely further enhance our community and society?

Makes no sense to me.

There is a process to become a citizen FOR A REASON.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 11:39 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,133,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
It's not about arrogance, so stop accusing Americans who don't support ILLEGALS of being so. It's about what's right and what's wrong.

If you want to pay for illegals to get healthcare and education, donate to them. Don't make me do it.
It's not a matter of supporting or not supporting illegals.

If it's about right an wrong, then perhaps you can explain why it's so wrong to help a child who graduated from a Connecticut High School go to a Connecticut University? The kid has nothing to do with the circumstances s/he is in. The kid went to high school and did what they were supposed to.

Again, if it's about right and wrong as you claim, you must be saying that it's simply WRONG to be a child of undocumented workers... which supports my argument about American arrogance.

I want everyone to have access to health care and education. I would like to see more of my tax dollars go there.

Should the wars in Afganistan and Iraq be supported through donations of people supportive of that cause? No, of course not. We live in a society which binds and obligates us to each other.

I pay taxes that help your child's school. I have no children of my own. That's part of living in a community.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:44 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,001,555 times
Quote:
I pay taxes that help your child's school. I have no children of my own. That's part of living in a community.
LOL No it's not, it's call a socialized system. No thanks.

As for the "poor kid" comment and that it's not their fault etc maybe they should have that discussion with their parents. Their irresponsible parents put them in this position. Not me. If they are adults, they need to go back to their home country and apply.

They are not citizens. Go try this in Canada and see what happens. Actually, go try this in MEXICO and see what happens. LOL

Old 04-13-2011, 11:45 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,945 times
Quote:
Why not? The child attended high school here. They fulfilled the requirements. They are contributing members of the community.

Why not let them achieve more.

Is being an American so damn special that we have to exclude those undocumented folks who do everything right and will likely further enhance our community and society?

Makes no sense to me.
Yes, we americans are special from the rest of the world. There would be no modern world as we know it if it wasn't for the Americans participation, and winning, in WWII. If this wern't true, and Americans weren't special, there would be no Jews on this planet, Americans would likely be speaking German, and minorities and homosexuals would be jailed, experimented upon, and then likely gassed to death. This would be YOUR world because if the Americans did not take up arms against the Axis, the Allies minus the US, would have certainly lost the war against Hitler and Hirohito. We would not even be here discussing and writing about the freedom of attending higher education institutions.

So don't come round my door, and even remotely suggest that Americans aren't special, unless you consider saving the world from the Nazis and the Imperialist Japanese in 1945 an every day run of the mill job. My God, we can't even insist upon Congress to decide if the US will go to war anymore. This nation has been sunk into the pitiful chasm of international Progressive apologetic nonsense, and you seem to be brainwashed by it. This is why it makes no sense to you.

Wake up. Americans are special and anyone who denies it are either its enemies or just plain ignorant of World History.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:47 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Quote:

If it's about right an wrong, then perhaps you can explain why it's so wrong to help a child who graduated from a Connecticut High School go to a Connecticut University? The kid has nothing to do with the circumstances s/he is in. The kid went to high school and did what they were supposed to.

Again, if it's about right and wrong as you claim, you must be saying that it's simply WRONG to be a child of undocumented workers... which supports my argument about American arrogance.

I want everyone to have access to health care and education. I would like to see more of my tax dollars go there.

Should the wars in Afganistan and Iraq be supported through donations of people supportive of that cause? No, of course not. We live in a society which binds and obligates us to each other.

Great, if that illegal student wants to be such a contribution he can do what he needs to to become a LEGAL citizen of the US and then we have no problem. If you choose to stay an illegal, you don't deserve US benefits. But no, thats fine, let's keep giving to those that break the law, we can afford it.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:49 AM

2,256 posts, read 4,495,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jviello View Post
lol no it's not, it's call a socialized system. No thanks.

As for the "poor kid" comment and that it's not their fault etc maybe they should have that discussion with their parents. Their irresponsible parents put them in this position. Not me. If they are adults, they need to go back to their home country and apply.

They are not citizens. Go try this in canada and see what happens. Actually, go try this in mexico and see what happens. Lol
+1

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM

1,496 posts, read 3,384,945 times
Quote:

If you want more of you tax dollars to go there, then no one, absolutely no one, is stopping YOU from sending in more money over and above YOUR tax bill. Feel free, no one will send the money back if you earmark it for education or health care.

And if they do, you can just as easily send that extra money to charity that supports health care and educational causes here in CT. This way it is tax deductible

Old 04-13-2011, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
LOL No it's not, it's call a socialized system. No thanks.
Every system is socialized to a degree. You call it socialized, I call it community. In the end, I'd rather live in a world with a degree mutual responsibility and mutual obligation. I'd like to know that if I fell seriously ill my community-- which is organized by government-- would insure that I didn't die in the street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
As for the "poor kid" comment and that it's not their fault etc maybe they should have that discussion with their parents. Their irresponsible parents put them in this position. Not me.
And these kids did the responsible thing, against all odds. It seems to me that they would be contributors to society. It only makes sense to help them further their education and give them a path to citizenship. It's a net sum gain for us.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Great, if that illegal student wants to be such a contribution he can do what he needs to to become a LEGAL citizen of the US and then we have no problem. If you choose to stay an illegal, you don't deserve US benefits. But no, thats fine, let's keep giving to those that break the law, we can afford it.
And what we are providing is another path for this student to become a legal citizen. This is a contributor we're talking about here. Seems like it makes sense to give him a legal path to citizenship and education through this program.

Old 04-13-2011, 11:54 AM

438 posts, read 1,196,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brien51 View Post
If this wern't true, and Americans weren't special...minorities and homosexuals would be jailed, experimented upon
The Tuskegee Experiment's calling for you on Line Two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut