Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:23 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times

Advertisements

95 needs widening and improvements in a lot of spots between Stamford and Fairfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 11:21 AM

243 posts, read 773,737 times
They need to build another highway that doesn't run parallel. I mean, a majority of the commuters who sit in traffic are coming home from work and many don't live along the coast, yet these two highways run directly across the coast (I understand the Merritt is inland, but let's be real: Greenwich, Stamford, Westport, Fairfield are coastal communties).

A highway connecting say Stamford to 84 directly instead of having commuters sit on 95 or the Merritt to hop on 25/Route 8 or 7 would be excellent. Thing about the amount of people taken off the highway who live in say Newtown, Ridgefield, Monroe, Oxford, etc.)

Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,048,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post
They need to build another highway that doesn't run parallel. I mean, a majority of the commuters who sit in traffic are coming home from work and many don't live along the coast, yet these two highways run directly across the coast (I understand the Merritt is inland, but let's be real: Greenwich, Stamford, Westport, Fairfield are coastal communties).

A highway connecting say Stamford to 84 directly instead of having commuters sit on 95 or the Merritt to hop on 25/Route 8 or 7 would be excellent. Thing about the amount of people taken off the highway who live in say Newtown, Ridgefield, Monroe, Oxford, etc.)
That will never happen. A highway was supposed to be created where 7 is now, and towns like Wilton blocked it from happening. The state had the land and everything.

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/ct/us7.html

It would've been great, but will likely never happen at this point. Fairfield County is too developed and the land is too expensive for something like that to happen. On the other hand, widening key areas of 95 is totally doable and feasible. They added a lane between exits in Darien and should do the same elsewhere. They can also reduce the number of exits, especially in Fairfield, or add the timed red lights at onramps like they do in California.

The Merritt would be expandable, but again - will never happen. There's too much interest around maintaining the rural and "historic" feel of the highway. I don't necessarily agree with it, I don't think our residents should suffer for a couple sculpted bridges built in the 30's. But that's just me.

And also against your point, most of the population IS most certainly along the 95/Merritt corridor. That's where the most populated towns in Fairfield and New Haven counties are. Danbury is the only exception, but the greater Danbury area is much less dense than lower Fairfield.

Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Probably because every time someone posts in this forum saying "I'm Moving to CT where Should I Live," everyone says "Live near Merritt/Wilbur Cross So U No Have 2 Drive Long Wharf LOLOLOL."

Stop telling people to drive on a highway that was built for only 20% of the traffic it has now, and maybe you won't see so much traffic.

15 used to be such an awesome road. It's a pity to see it so gunked up. They should definitely bring back the tolls and weed out the people who are in such an all-fired rush to take their combination panel-vans around the steep curves at 70 mph.
There was no reason for me to even read this thread -- I work from home, so there's no commute for me -- but I'm so glad that I did. I needed a giggle today and the line that I bolded made me choke from laughing so hard.

I just read it again... HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

Old 04-27-2011, 01:35 PM

28 posts, read 46,617 times
MetsNY-----spot on. The reason that traffic is horrific traces right back to the cost of living. People (like me) don't want to spend 1600 on a 1br, or 800g's for a ranch so they go to the next best area: Newtown, Oxford, Monroe, Derby. That's where a lot of this traffic originates.

I commute to Stamford from Ansonia, and grew up in California. Mondays are no fun, but it gets progressively worse as the week goes on. By Thursday, I'm in tears when I arrive home. It takes me over two hours to go 38 miles M-W and closer to 150 minutes on Thursday and Friday. That's not normal for a county with less than a million people without a major city. Sure, sure, NYC is hovering over, but I don't know ANY other 40 mile stretch on suburban highway that is as nightmarish as the twin devils (95 & 15).

It doesn't help when people use exit only lanes to cut back in, and when you have to tail the car in front of you for fear of consistently getting cut off. Those stragglers who leave 15 car lengths between them and the car in front of them are equally contributing to the lowering of the Connecticut commuter's quality of life.

Make this a sticky. It's a big deal.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 PM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcommuter82 View Post
I commute to Stamford from Ansonia, and grew up in California. Mondays are no fun, but it gets progressively worse as the week goes on. By Thursday, I'm in tears when I arrive home. It takes me over two hours to go 38 miles M-W and closer to 150 minutes on Thursday and Friday.
Really? I typically make it from Southington to Stamford in just over a hour. Lately traffic has been picking up so about 90 minutes for the trip. I always find it strange that the congestion is generally linked to the weather. The nicer weather tends to bring more traffic. Where were all these people during the winter months?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:36 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
60 min from Southington to Stamford? On a weekday? What time do you leave?

Old 04-27-2011, 02:42 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,941,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsNY View Post

287 is only a few miles from Stamford, which is probably why a direct road to 84 was never built. It would have made more sense for 287's terminus to be Stamford as opposed to Port Chester, but I'm sure the politicians had their reasons.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:55 PM

487 posts, read 536,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
60 min from Southington to Stamford? On a weekday? What time do you leave?
6:30AM and normally at my desk between 7:30-7:45. In the evening, I hit the gym after work so I'm jumping back on the merritt between 6:30-7. The past 1.5 wks the traffic has been picking up in the AM but always sitting at my desk by 8:00.

Edit: I should mention that I work in north stamford (springdale)

Old 04-27-2011, 03:35 PM

28 posts, read 46,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davwve View Post
6:30AM and normally at my desk between 7:30-7:45. In the evening, I hit the gym after work so I'm jumping back on the merritt between 6:30-7. The past 1.5 wks the traffic has been picking up in the AM but always sitting at my desk by 8:00.

Edit: I should mention that I work in north stamford (springdale)
That makes sense. Mornings I leave at 6 and hit Stamford by 6:40. Volume with a few brake taps. Home is different, I leave by 4:45. 95 is a parking lot and takes me 2 hours. You take 15?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut