Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2011, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,651 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting law school at UConn in Hartford next year, and coming from MA, I'm a bit overwhelmed with the housing search. My main concern right now is the commute - my experience with driving in CT during rush-hour traffic is pretty limited, so I figured I should get some advice from the pros.

I know that I don't want to live in Hartford. Ideally, I'd like to end up in West Hartford, but if that's not doable I'd like to end up somewhere with a maximum 25 - 30 minute commute to school. I've been looking at places like Manchester, Farmington, New Britain, Glastonbury, Rocky Hill, etc. These all have reasonable commute times...according to Googlemaps, which operates in a perfect world of no traffic.

So if anyone could give me some insight as to how not/terrible the average REAL commuting experience is from some of these places, that would be greatly appreciated! And if you want to throw any suggestions for towns to check out at me, that would be awesome too. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2011, 06:58 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,758,510 times
West Hartford is probably the liveliest of the towns you noted- very walkable downtown, tons of restaurants, etc. Probably also the most convenient to UCONN law.

I'd also consider Wethersfield and Newington, especially Newington, adjacent to the south of Hartford. I mention these as they are pleasant towns, have lots of housing options and in case of tie ups on the highway, or if you don't want to take the highway, you can always take city streets /the back way home.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:57 AM

428 posts, read 1,174,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
West Hartford is probably the liveliest of the towns you noted- very walkable downtown, tons of restaurants, etc. Probably also the most convenient to UCONN law.

I'd also consider Wethersfield and Newington, especially Newington, adjacent to the south of Hartford. I mention these as they are pleasant towns, have lots of housing options and in case of tie ups on the highway, or if you don't want to take the highway, you can always take city streets /the back way home.
Great advice. As you know, UCONN Law is in West Hartford, so you'd want to live WEST of the CT River and and/or South of Hartford. Glastonbury is a definite no-go. Newington is safe, and surprisingly affordable for the Hartford Metro - Wethersfield as well. Rocky Hill, Farmington, and West Hartford itself are all great options. You're smart to avoid Hartford, but also avoid SOME parts of Eastern West Hartford. Welcome to Connecticut, UCONN Law is a fantastic school!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:11 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,778,896 times
Actually, the law school is in Hartford, but not too far from West Hartford. That building on Asylum that says Law School is now the school of social work, and the law school is a bit further east, in Hartford, not in such a safe neighborhood as the West Hartford campus of UConn.

Your best bet by far is West Hartford, near the center. Lots of apts for rent, great atmosphere for young people in the Center.

Old 04-30-2011, 04:38 PM

418 posts, read 1,410,738 times
What is it about West Hartford that appeals to you? That might help us to give you suggestions. Also what is your budget/ # bedroom needs.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Actually, the law school is in Hartford, but not too far from West Hartford. That building on Asylum that says Law School is now the school of social work, and the law school is a bit further east, in Hartford, not in such a safe neighborhood as the West Hartford campus of UConn.

Your best bet by far is West Hartford, near the center. Lots of apts for rent, great atmosphere for young people in the Center.
Haha, you're right! My apologies. UCONN Law is definitely in Hartford.

Old 04-30-2011, 11:55 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
You're smart to avoid Hartford, but also avoid SOME parts of Eastern West Hartford.
Well, clearly, this is a matter of opinion considering that Hartford's West end does have college students (both undergraduates and graduate level scholars) and WH's lower east end is looking better than when I lived there a few years ago. Neither area is perfect, nor is either area as garish as WH center, but to say these areas need to be avoided is an exaggeration. They're not unsafe.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Well, clearly, this is a matter of opinion considering that Hartford's West end does have college students (both undergraduates and graduate level scholars) and WH's lower east end is looking better than when I lived there a few years ago. Neither area is perfect, nor is either area as garish as WH center, but to say these areas need to be avoided is an exaggeration. They're not unsafe.
Address the OP if you have a differing opinion, because quite frankly, I could care less.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:45 PM

2,496 posts, read 4,720,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctcoldplay11 View Post
Address the OP if you have a differing opinion, because quite frankly, I could care less.
I was stating something I thought the OP would find useful. You stated your opinion, I stated mine. No need for the attitude. And no, I'm not taking offense to what you said, but as someone who used to live in the nabe that people pull rank on and have misconceptions about, I thought my $0.02 would be useful to the OP and anyone else reading this.

Cheers,
Mike

Old 05-01-2011, 11:24 PM

21,744 posts, read 28,070,632 times
West Hartford for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut