Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 03:48 AM

7 posts, read 9,544 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving from London to Connecticut, probably in September 2011. I have a 6 year old son who will complete Year 1 in the UK this July. He is a very bright student academically and 'sensitive', so schools with tough measures against bullying will be right on top of the list.

My husband and I will both work in the Hartford city (Travelers office). I'm looking for information that will help me find suitable school options for my son and apt/housing choices. I would need a good school district and am willing to take my chances with a longish commute into Hartford for work (about an hour or so is okay).
I have no clue as to where to start my research. Can you please point me to some resources on the web to get me started - looking for information on cutoff age for Year 2, qualification criteria, schools and official stats on performance and so on. We'll only be reaching there after the normal admission process is completed hence a bit anxious about the whole thing. I'm looking to public schools for now but if pushed, am willing to look into private as well.
If it helps, my husband and I together will make about 150K a year. And oh, we are Indians and my son has been studying in an school that is nearly all-white. I would like a mixed population, but if it is a choice between all-Asian, all-Hispanic kind of area and all-white I would prefer the latter - don't want him growing up ghettoed as we have seen happen in some schools in the UK that cater primarily to Asian populations.

If things don't look good schoolwise, we'll cancel the move although it is a great career opportunity.. Thanks for your assistance and looking forward to some guidance.

Last edited by MovingfromLondon; 05-25-2011 at 04:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 05:15 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
By year 2 do you mean second grade?? There are many towns surrounding Hartford with wonderful public schools. To name a few towns Avon, Farmington, Glastonbury, West Hartford, Simsbury. Any of those would have very good public schools and 30 minute commutes or less, which of course is always better then driving an hour everyday. I suppose the most diverse of those towns in my opinion would be West Hartford. Keep in mind those towns are expensive to live in as all towns with top schools are.
For second grade generally speaking (as it's currently possibly changing) your son would have to be 7 years old by December to enter I believe.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:22 AM

7 posts, read 9,544 times
Thanks..Yes, Year 2 in the UK so that would be Grade 2 in the US. He turned 6 on May-2011..Should he be 7 on Dec 2011 to make it to Grade 2? That would mean he will end up repeating a year :-( Would there be any exceptions for children moving in from other countries or school systems?

Also how will apply to a school in one of these districts, if we only travel in September? It would be most helpful if you could point me to related websites.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:03 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
I agree with KH02 on the towns around Hartford with the best schools. West Hartford is generally considered the most diverse of these, though I think Glastonbury is a bit more convenient to Travelers' building in downtown (Route 2 takes you right into downtown by their building). West Hartford is a more mature and densely populated town with nice homes on smaller lots. It has a great downtown with a lot of great shops and restaurants and is generally considered to be one of the best town centers in the state.

Glastonbury is more suburban in chartacter meaning it is more oriented toward the car. It has a small but somewhat spread out downtown with just about all of the stores and restaurants you would need or want. Both towns have a lot of activities for children and families.

As for how to enroll your child in a school, you can only do that once you have a place to live. You will need to have either a rental lease or home purchase agreement to show the town that you arre moving there. Once you have that, you should contact the Board of Education offices to register the child. They will tell you what they need and how to go about doing it. Jay

Old 05-25-2011, 07:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingfromLondon View Post
Thanks..Yes, Year 2 in the UK so that would be Grade 2 in the US. He turned 6 on May-2011..Should he be 7 on Dec 2011 to make it to Grade 2? That would mean he will end up repeating a year :-( Would there be any exceptions for children moving in from other countries or school systems?

Also how will apply to a school in one of these districts, if we only travel in September? It would be most helpful if you could point me to related websites.
Here we have a mandatory year of Kindergarten, followed by a year of 1st grade, a year of 2nd grade, etc. So grade 2 would actually be his third year of school, not second. Second grade would be the appropriate year for your son. Second graders are 6-7 years old, often turning 8 during the school year. But as JayCT noted, you will need to have a proven home address before you can enroll your child. The school year begins in late August or early September. If possible, you should try to move by the time school begins, or within a few weeks afterwards.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 05-25-2011 at 07:18 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 07:28 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
If he just turned 6 I'm guessing he would be in 1st grade here. Do you have kindergarten where you are? If not that is probably OUR equivalent to your "first year" so he should be in First grade once coming here.

But like Jay said you cannot enroll a child in the public school until you have proof of address so you will need to wait until you find a place to live.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,902,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
If he just turned 6 I'm guessing he would be in 1st grade here. Do you have kindergarten where you are? If not that is probably OUR equivalent to your "first year" so he should be in First grade once coming here.

But like Jay said you cannot enroll a child in the public school until you have proof of address so you will need to wait until you find a place to live.
Yes, you are right, I just realized he just turned 6 this past May. I think I need to go back to school. The OP's son should begin 1st grade this fall, which would be his second year.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:50 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
I would really suggest West Hartford for you, especially if he is sensitive. Avon, Farmington, Simsbury and Glastonbury are great areas, too, but they are not diverse and students in the smaller communities can be particularly harsh.

Definitely focus on West Hartford.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,865,844 times
^^^^^^^^^^LOL@ you guys for confusing the OP even further.

In the U.S., children receive 13 years of pre-collegiate schooling. The first year of schooling is called Kindergarten. Most Kindergarten programs are not for a full school day, rather they consist of only a half-day schedule(~3hours).

Subsequent school years are referenced as Grades 1-12. Grades 1-12 are instructed for a full day(~6hours).

Old 05-25-2011, 08:02 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
[quote=Stratford, Ct. Resident;19302543In the U.S., children receive 13 years of post-collegiate schooling. [/QUOTE]

I think you mean "pre-collegiate". Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut