Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 06:16 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times

Advertisements

I don't think there is an Aldi in Fairfield County. Another store to try in addition to the others though, is Trader Joe's, located in Darien and Fairfield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 AM

30 posts, read 76,397 times
For our family of 3, we probably spend about $500-600 at the grocery store every month (we buy a lot of produce but not meats) and go out to eat probably 4 times a month and for lunches at work.

We've got a Big Y, Shop Rite and a Stop and Shop all within the same distance to us (Stratford) and I prefer the Stop & Shop. The one time I shopped at BY, it seemed more expensive than S&S and the one time I shoped at SR, I just didn't like it. If you have time (which I don't know how people do), you could always drive around to the different stores to get certain items you know are cheaper elsewhere but there is nothing better to me than knowing my grocery store like the back of my hand. Especially having young kids and working full-time, I don't want to spend any more time at a grocery store than humanly possible.

Oh and I occasionally shop at the Wilton S&S for quick trips (town I work in) and it is definitely more expensive than the Stratford S&S.

Old 06-01-2011, 09:51 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,926 times
There isn't an Aldi in Fairfield county but there is one in Milford and West Haven - so close enough if you're in the Fairfield/Bridgeport area or heading out that way. Definitely worth stopping by as the quality tends to be surprisingly good- though they don't accept credit cards (to keep prices low as credit card companies charge stores just for allowing you to use a card there).

Old 06-01-2011, 02:27 PM

12 posts, read 34,084 times
Thanks for that. I've been to the stop and shop in Stamford and Trader Joe's with my sister when staying over with her a few years ago and thought they were ok. As long as they're not complete rip off stores I'll think we'll be fine. They've got some 'posh' grocery stores in England that sell some normal everyday items for more than they should be.

I'll be happy being able to get tubs of real ice cream with a wide selection of flavors again (hmm... Eddies mint chocolate chip!). Store bought ice cream here doesn't seem to be made out of milk but whey powder and powdered skim milk with a boring selection of flavors.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoonie View Post
Store bought ice cream here doesn't seem to be made out of milk but whey powder and powdered skim milk with a boring selection of flavors.
Actually, Edy's plays that game in the states as well. I liked their chocolate peanut butter and all of a sudden it became inedible. It became inedible because it was no longer ice cream. It was now "frozen dairy dessert". Whey and skim.........

Look for Turkey Hill if you were an Edy's fan. TH seems to be staying away from the games that Dreyer's(Edy's) plays with their products.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:29 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
There isn't an Aldi in Fairfield county but there is one in Milford and West Haven - so close enough if you're in the Fairfield/Bridgeport area or heading out that way. Definitely worth stopping by as the quality tends to be surprisingly good- though they don't accept credit cards (to keep prices low as credit card companies charge stores just for allowing you to use a card there).
Don't know if I've ever tried using a credit card there, but they definitely accept debit cards.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree that Shoprite has the lowest prices but do not agree that Big Y is lower than Stop & Shop. Big Y will have better sales on several items each week but their regular prices, which is what you pay for most of your food items, I have found to be higher than Stop & Shop. Jay
It depends on your region though Jay. In the OP's case, prices at FFC locations will be as i previously indicated. In other counties in the state, the dynamics may be a bit different.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:32 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalgoonie View Post

I'll be happy being able to get tubs of real ice cream with a wide selection of flavors again (hmm... Eddies mint chocolate chip!). Store bought ice cream here doesn't seem to be made out of milk but whey powder and powdered skim milk with a boring selection of flavors.
If you want awesome ice cream and are in the area, get a tub from Walnut Beach Creamery. It's ridiculous. (And really cheap for homemade.)

Walnut Beach Creamery - Handcrafted Ice Creams in Milford CT

Old 06-02-2011, 05:21 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,894,862 times
There's also Stew Leonard's in Norwalk for grocery shopping, they have good sales. You won't find all the major brands, just some of them, but they have a lot of their own brands. They have pretty good meat/chicken etc. Their produce is hit or miss, though. It's not always as fresh as I'd like it to be. But pretty soon the farmer's markets around Ct. will be open and you can buy fresh veggies etc. there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut