Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 02:31 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Welcome to the Future I-95 in CT Stamford area.. A new look, a new feel, take a deep breath.

Instead of getting off Exit 9 and being able to make a right towards cove beach.. Now you have to go around so there's no backup at the exit. lol
Nice. Can I have a direct exit to my mansion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 06:38 PM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Welcome to the Future I-95 in CT Stamford area.. A new look, a new feel, take a deep breath.

Instead of getting off Exit 9 and being able to make a right towards cove beach.. Now you have to go around so there's no backup at the exit. lol
Is there any significance to the Rt. 7 sign in the rightmost lane given that it's not for another 6 exits?

Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Is there any significance to the Rt. 7 sign in the rightmost lane given that it's not for another 6 exits?
lol. No more Darien exits. LOL You have to get off 9 or next exit 10(the connector) and backtrack.

BTW-- This was the reason for yesterdays parking lot.

Woman struck, killed by flying object on I-95
GREENWICH- Police are investigating after a woman was killed when a metal object apparently flew through the windshield of her car while she was driving on southbound Interstate 95.
Officials say Sara Betancourt, 34, was taken to Stamford Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Investigators say the incident happened around 12:45 p.m. between exits 4 and 5.
Police say the passenger in Betancourt's car was not injured, and there were no witnesses to the incident.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
Quote:
lol. No more Darien exits. LOL You have to get off 9 or next exit 10(the connector) and backtrack.

GREENWICH- Police are investigating after a woman was killed when a metal object apparently flew through the windshield of her car while she was driving on southbound Interstate 95.
Officials say Sara Betancourt, 34, was taken to Stamford Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.
Investigators say the incident happened around 12:45 p.m. between exits 4 and 5.
Police say the passenger in Betancourt's car was not injured, and there were no witnesses to the incident.
+1 close all exits to small towns. One for Greenwich, Stamford, and Norwalk and Bridgeport. I support this as long as they keep route 7 connector exit opened so Wilton's access to I95 isn't compromised.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,096 times
Quote:

This is absolutely tragic.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:58 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:

Got it, thanks!

That is a very sad story.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
sad indeed....that is horrible.

We moved from Long Island to CT in 2004. You ain't seen nothing till you've tried to drive anywhere in nassau County during rush hour, east west north south it stinks.

We go back to visit family quite often, we've got stuck in traffic enough times between here (glastonbury) and there (either Massapequa, Floral Park, Bellmore, or Port jefferson to learn a few things.

1) if we go to Port Jeff for the day, park in Bridgeport and take the ferry across, have sis in law pick us up as she is only 5 miles from the Port. easy enough.
2) it's cost prohibitive to put car on ferry and then drive to my relatives between gas and ferry it's over $200 round trip.
3) forget about driving there on weekends during the day in the summer, I've tried every way possible, 91 to 95 to bridges, 91 to Merrit to bridges, 91 to 691 to 84 to 684 to 87 back to 95 to bridges, etc etc etc. every way takes us well over 3 hours in summer both ways....forget it once you get onto the island, everything is at a standstill.
4) there are two solutions for this commute.
A) DONT DO IT
B) time it right, it does stink doing this but it works, going leave @4AM, get there by 6:15AM no problem, no traffic, stop close to end destination have breakfast in a good NY diner. On return trip, leave around 10PM and avoid Cross Island parkway at all costs, to avoid any traffic I usually take Throgs neck bridge to Cross Bronx to Bronx river North to Cross County to Hutch to merrit. Trust me that's the best Way.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, CT traffic seems to be getting worse, my street definitely busier since 2004 and Fairfield county agreed too many cars for the roads. But getting on/off Long Island, definitely hellish.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:50 AM

2,601 posts, read 3,397,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
sad indeed....that is horrible.

1) if we go to Port Jeff for the day, park in Bridgeport and take the ferry across, have sis in law pick us up as she is only 5 miles from the Port. easy enough.
2) it's cost prohibitive to put car on ferry and then drive to my relatives between gas and ferry it's over $200 round trip.
3) forget about driving there on weekends during the day in the summer, I've tried every way possible, 91 to 95 to bridges, 91 to Merrit to bridges, 91 to 691 to 84 to 684 to 87 back to 95 to bridges, etc etc etc. every way takes us well over 3 hours in summer both ways....forget it once you get onto the island, everything is at a standstill.
4) there are two solutions for this commute.
A) DONT DO IT
B) time it right, it does stink doing this but it works, going leave @4AM, get there by 6:15AM no problem, no traffic, stop close to end destination have breakfast in a good NY diner. On return trip, leave around 10PM and avoid Cross Island parkway at all costs, to avoid any traffic I usually take Throgs neck bridge to Cross Bronx to Bronx river North to Cross County to Hutch to merrit. Trust me that's the best Way.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, CT traffic seems to be getting worse, my street definitely busier since 2004 and Fairfield county agreed too many cars for the roads. But getting on/off Long Island, definitely hellish.
I'd avoid the cross bronx like the plague. Best route from LI to CT is clearview expressway to throgs neck to interstate 95(new york thruway section). Stay clear of the hutchinson and get onto 95. Hutch is always jammed. Then go 95 to 287 to merrit parkway north.(If you're crazy enough to be leaving on friday afternoon from queens don't bother switching to merrit, just stay on 95 until route 8 connector).

Old 06-20-2011, 06:58 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,847 times
nah once you get off Throgs neck Bridge, 95 can be a nightmare between E. TremontAve and Coop city. Another way is take Whitestone Bridge to Hutch to 95 exit just north of Coop city. But if I leave to come home late enough everything is usually o/k. During the day? Every and anyway stinks. So now we time it right.

CT is no bargain either once you get south of Milford on 95 or the Merrit, but usually Merrit is o/k. 95 where Route 7 merges in usually awful. Wish I was rich and had a helicoptor.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:04 AM

691 posts, read 1,150,355 times
...yet the perception that Fairfield County is some sort of utopia remains!

I'll say it again....quality of life in FFC (and the entire NYC metro area, for that matter...) is AWFUL!

Try driving from the NYS line to the Hartford area and further north. I-95 from Greenwich all the way to New Haven (50 miles!!) is filled with CONSTANT volume (if not stopped-dead traffic) at any hour of the day, and is an extremely narrow antiquated freeway that seemingly produces a fatal accident on a daily basis.

Now when you hit the 91 interchange in New Haven, you transition to a modern, very reasonable traffic-wise road that is almost always problem-free (outside of a couple of miles during rush hour thru Hartford/Windsor...and even then you have HOV lanes). Once you're gone from that tri-state area MESS, you cant help but notice that the roads become far nicer, and the drivers become far more courteous too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut