Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:30 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,363 times

Advertisements

Connecticut (CT) Poll * June 16, 2011 * Yankees Top Red Sox Among Conn - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut

Quote:
The New York Yankees top the Boston Red Sox 43 - 38 percent, their biggest lead since 2007, in the Quinnipiac University poll's annual Connecticut Pennant Race to determine who wins the heart of the state's baseball fans.
Quote:
"Forget the AL East standings. The Yankees have topped the Red Sox in eight of our nine Connecticut Pennant Races," said Quinnipiac University Poll Director Douglas Schwartz, PhD.
Says it all.
The Red Sox lead ONCE, in 2008, and that was by 1%.
The Yankees by contrast have led every season, the largest in 2003 pre-bandwagon Red Sox by 14%.

There is little doubt with this that CT is a Yankee State; if not a NY state in sports, over Boston/New England teams.

If you live anywhere from NY State line to the I-91 corridor you are in NY tri-state sports territory.
Hartford/I-91 corridor north of New Haven is neutral/leans NY or BOS depending on how N/S/E/W you are.
SE CT down by the shore is murky, the only true Boston territory in CT is extreme NE CT; past UCONN and metro Hartford, where nobody lives.

This poll proves what I always have known, New England doesn't love Boston teams, just 5 of the 6 states do, and that CT is more NY-Tri State than it is New England.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2011, 08:31 PM

What I would like to see in the future are:

-Giants/Pats/Jets polls in CT
-Rangers/Isles/Devils/Whalers/Bruins NHL polls
-Celtics/Knicks/Nets polls

How come Quinnipiac University has only done MLB?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:33 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,227,865 times
No loss...NY can have them...in fact, I'm sure folks would happy to throw in Rhode Island as well...

Old 06-21-2011, 09:49 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
My family grew up 15 minutes from the financial district of Manhattan, I was born in northern NJ and grew up in northern FFC, and I work and live in southwest CT.

So yeah, I align with NY the most and therefore NY teams.

Old 06-22-2011, 04:12 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
HMM, I think this is what JayCT was talking about in the "hockey" thread....

I've commented on these kinds of threads "millions" of times, so I won't get started here, feel free to search, basically I think CT is a "split state" on this and it's based on geography.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:08 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
Still, you can't help it if people go for NY teams. You can only laugh.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:12 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,459 times
this is probably the same guy who many times in the past argued his opinion that CT was not part of New England but of New York. just trying to start an argument.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:48 AM

512 posts, read 1,755,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
this is probably the same guy who many times in the past argued his opinion that CT was not part of New England but of New York. just trying to start an argument.
I was born and raised in CT. Then I moved to LI and NJ. CT, even in Greenwich is more New England than it is NY. Most of CT is more New England than NY. I never understood why people would want to make CT another extension of NY. That 30 mile buffer between NYC and CT should be considered a protection zone.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:04 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,693,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I was born and raised in CT. Then I moved to LI and NJ. CT, even in Greenwich is more New England than it is NY. Most of CT is more New England than NY. I never understood why people would want to make CT another extension of NY. That 30 mile buffer between NYC and CT should be considered a protection zone.
a lot of the hatred sent our way from MA and RI is based on their hatred NY. they associate us with NY because of our geography and therefore are part of NY in their minds. hence the hate. really stupid if you think about it.
and you're right - CT has just as much charm as the rest of NE - charm that you do not see in NY. i used to take the Metro North train from Brewster (dump) to White Plains and from what i could see of the towns in between, they were nothing special. same impression the few times i drove.

Last edited by Slipperman; 06-22-2011 at 05:59 PM..

Old 06-22-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaljaybird View Post
I was born and lived in CT, and Boston.

I can tell you CT, both SW and Hartford, is nothing like Boston.
There is a definite culture, economic, and social difference.
CT is more NY tri state than it is New England, like the other 5 states.
This is obvious in so many ways........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut