Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 10:39 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
While I agree with all you say here, there is also (especially in this economy) rampant "age discrimination" in the private sector, and there has to be some way to address it. Go on the Unemployment forum right here on City-Data and you'll see way too many cases of 50+ (sometimes even 40+!) workers laid off who have become "unemployable" and are obviously way too young to afford retirement.

Many people of a past generation were given the expectation (by corporate America itself) that if they work hard and "play by the rules", they'd have a career until retirement, and then a reasonable retirement. Now we are producing a generation of 50 and 60 somethings who are becoming destitute and in many times the "rules" were completely bent from under them.

At the same time, at least many of them, having a comfortable career for 25 or 30 years, saved up enough that they could get through a year or 2 or unemployment (but never dreaming it would be "forever"). Now on the other hand, we're letting go a lot of younger people, and while many will get back on their feet, some will not.....well you can't "Retire at 35" now can you? Someone on one of those forums even (in a spot of black humor) joked that we're creating a "Logan's Run" society if you take it to the extreme (not of course where the state kills older people, but where too many die from destitution).

While we can't bankrupt the country financially, we also have to avoid becoming "socially bankrupt" too!
I know there's an issue with unemployment among older people. The only real solution is an economic recovery, so that all workers are needed. As long as we have such high unemployment, there are going to be problems for a lot of people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 02:04 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,014,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Glad to see it thanks for posting the link. Not that I think Rell was any kind of real conservative anyhow.

The only thing that stands out in your link is the fact that he has less people but they are better paid to the point of it almost being a wash. $2.16m vs $2.4m

I think his administration is a perfect example of the greed and bloat that goes on in our state government on both sides of the isle.
Occhiogrosso, at $160,000 a year, is among Malloy’s highest-paid staffers. General Counsel Andrew J. McDonald, a former state senator, also makes $160,000. Malloy’s salary is $150,000 a year, the amount the General Assembly set in 2003. Timothy F. Bannon, Malloy’s chief of staff, earns the same, $150,000.
That's a lot of steam for a publicly funded civil service job. Hundred grand a year not good enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
As a former union worker (P&W) and younger with low seniority and having been laid off twice and recalled, I can say from experience that the least productive workers keep their jobs in these types of situations (@p&w...). There needs to be merit based clauses in all union contracts when in comes to layoffs. Get rid of the least productive workers in favor of the ones who actually do the work. It is unbelievable the way these state unions were allowed to run amok.
Well said. I've seen the hall wanderers at Pratt myself as my grandfather was a foreman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I know there's an issue with unemployment among older people. The only real solution is an economic recovery, so that all workers are needed. As long as we have such high unemployment, there are going to be problems for a lot of people.
It's funny you said that...well funny in an ironic way. I"m currently making a business plan to sell a turn key business (Think Franchise without the recurring fees etc) opportunity nationally and one of the age groups I plan to market too is the 40+ crowd.

Old 06-25-2011, 04:57 PM

462 posts, read 737,442 times
Awesome, when do my taxes go down?

Old 06-25-2011, 05:17 PM

856 posts, read 2,016,089 times
Why the threats...that's what I want to know...why not say we considered layoffs we think concensions are a better choice then offer it to vote. The goal of terrorism is fear...what did Malloy do? Cause fear.

I think he needs to look for a REAL solution and not a simple ends. As someone who has lived through major layoffs can say employers never know what you do til you leave then they scramble to find someone to replace you so they don't have admit the mistake. A layoff would cost more in the long run...

Problem is Malloy is limited to where cuts can be since so many social programs and groups are mostly federal funded. Canceling public transit would close the gap but it isnt primarily Ct taxpayer money...same for public housing etc. I really think his hands are tied...they need to renegotiate the deal without the threats and re-vote.

Wait and see...

Old 06-25-2011, 08:27 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times
The opportunity to avoid layoffs was rejected by the unions. If anything, DM should have laid them off by the thousands immediately, and then asked if they'd like to talk. This isn't fear; its simply doing in action what my favorite Anti Public Employee protestor said on her sign in Wisconsin to the protesting gov't employees:

"Welcome to the Recession".

Old 06-26-2011, 07:57 AM

943 posts, read 4,259,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually I did ask what was wrong with him trying to save the jobs of 4,500 people. Of course that was ignored by those who just seem to want to complain about something. It is sad becuase I do know some people that will be effected by this and it is going to hurt them. Well at least he could say he tried to get them to give back something. Now they will have to pay the price of their greed. Interestingly it looks like Christie is breaking the union straggle-hold in New Jersey. That too will be interesting to see what happens. Jay
Two years ago state employees gave back over 700 million dollars. New Governor comes 2 years later and builds 2 billion dollars into the new budget, including the raises for this year, which were part of the 2009 concession deal and then says lets talk. If workers don't accept a concession package, does that make them greedy? Its clear that employees are willing to do concessions again, but if they aren;t willing to do them to Malloy's level, that makes them greedy?

Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 AM

Now ogplife, they will not have to give back a penny. The savings will simply come from reducing their bloated quantity. Happy?

Old 06-26-2011, 11:43 AM

2,394 posts, read 4,088,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
Two years ago state employees gave back over 700 million dollars. New Governor comes 2 years later and builds 2 billion dollars into the new budget, including the raises for this year, which were part of the 2009 concession deal and then says lets talk. If workers don't accept a concession package, does that make them greedy? Its clear that employees are willing to do concessions again, but if they aren;t willing to do them to Malloy's level, that makes them greedy?
"I'm all right, Jack."

Old 06-26-2011, 07:33 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,989,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogplife View Post
In the last couple of years a lot has changed. When I recently compared what I made to what a similar level state worker makes and then compared what I paid for my benefits to what they paid, a state worker friend of mine was shocked. The salaries were surprising close and I paid significantly more than they did for benefits of much lower quality. When my state worker friend saw thia he decided to vote for the change. Jay

Old 06-26-2011, 09:53 PM

The national average for employee Health Care premium payment is 28% of full cost. Avg family policy cost :$20k, and that is an 80/20 with around a 5k out of pocket max. 28% is $5,600 out of ones paycheck, or $108 every single week.

These clowns wrote their own pink slips, and if any governor gave them any more chances, they should be recalled. The state employees acted like children, and now deserve to be treated as children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut