Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 04:48 PM

55 posts, read 393,222 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am wondering what kind of business to start in a store front near Startford/ Bridgeport border. The store is near residential areas and other businesses and also the bus stops right in front of the store. I was contemplating a 99 cents store will be ideal since I did not see any on the street, But I think there is a family dollar store two blocks over. Please advise on what service business to start and run from a store front. Beign new to CT, I will also like to know if CT is business friendly in terms of assistng small business owners start and run business here. Where do I go to get all the information and required permits to start? Are there incentives for business owners? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 08:28 PM

131 posts, read 479,173 times
Can you cook? There's no good Dominican food in Stratford as far as I know. I've been craving it ever since we moved here! Or Cuban food!

Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebein View Post
Hi,
I am wondering what kind of business to start in a store front near Startford/ Bridgeport border.
Let me ponder this question for a moment......

O.K., my answer is, NONE.

I know that you have been expressing disappointment/reservations about having moved to Stratford. If this is the area that you're hanging around, i can understand why you're displeased. Frankly, that area(Barnum/Boston/Bruce) is like an extension of Bridgeport. Nothing thrives in that area. If one is from Stratford, they generally avoid the area. That leaves Bridgeport residents of that area(which is economically depressed) as your only customer base. Yes, most storefront ventures go down in flames quickly in that area. And that pattern won't change. To run a successful storefront in Stratford, you need to be amongst other merchants, in a clean, desirable location.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:27 PM

55 posts, read 393,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Let me ponder this question for a moment......

O.K., my answer is, NONE.

I know that you have been expressing disappointment/reservations about having moved to Stratford. If this is the area that you're hanging around, i can understand why you're displeased. Frankly, that area(Barnum/Boston/Bruce) is like an extension of Bridgeport. Nothing thrives in that area. If one is from Stratford, they generally avoid the area. That leaves Bridgeport residents of that area(which is economically depressed) as your only customer base. Yes, most storefront ventures go down in flames quickly in that area. And that pattern won't change. To run a successful storefront in Stratford, you need to be amongst other merchants, in a clean, desirable location.
Well I don't live in that area. I was just passing in the area and happen to see a lot of store fronts for rent and thought maybe running a business of my own here in CT will be better than commuting to NY everyday for work. I have searched the CT.gov website, but there are not much information pertaining to startting a business here.

This is part of why I am having two minds about this state, the more I look the less I see myself long term living here. It is sad that people will come on this site steering people away from living in the undesirable areas here. This further is going to bring down the whole town down if nothing is beign done to revitalize these areas and attratct businesses and residents. OOPS I forgot not gonna happen because this is CT. While in NY I saw how run down South Bronx was for quite sometime, but today thanks to the mayor the whole area is going through a large scale revitilization. Today condos are beign erected there and the prices are heading to Manhattan prices because of its proximity to downtown. Those buying and businesses get tax abatements to live in the area. While not Manhattan yet but it is getting fast.

About the Boston/Barnum _ even the so called Southend area, I have driven past them numerous times in the night and has never seen a soul outside. From reading the posts here I thought that once you get to these areas one will be greeted with a barage of bullets. Well I beg to differ. While I don't live in these areas I am happy about the home we purchased close to the train station. However my complaint has been the lack of employment thereof and the attitude of most here who are even making it worst for a newcomer to even get a job and remain here without having to commute to NY.

Back to the post, I know that there are businesses to start in this area. I just need to do more research and find it. Untill then I hope Bridgeport and Stratford will not turn out to be the next Detroit.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:04 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trebein View Post
This is part of why I am having two minds about this state, the more I look the less I see myself long term living here. It is sad that people will come on this site steering people away from living in the undesirable areas here.
Good point, but I will also add that a town or city needs to show they they are truely interested in revitalizing an area (either by providing incentives or investing in store front/streetscape types of improvements - or - providing police presence if neccessary) for there to be interest from business owners to either consider opening stores or running their businesses out of certain "undesirable" areas. Sometimes the losses a business owner can face are not worth giving a certain "area" a chance.

Old 11-05-2008, 02:16 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,686,936 times
You might do alright if you can open up a business in a storefront that is NOT a store or a restaurant!

Right now the economy is still in the tanker, small business owners simply can't get the volume deals &/or discounts from suppliers to pass the savings on to consumers. People will drive to CVS & Walmart to shop and get things for less. Also, my professors generally taught us that one of the first things consumers cut down on in hard times is food eaten out.

Old 11-05-2008, 05:54 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uconn97 View Post
Good point, but I will also add that a town or city needs to show they they are truely interested in revitalizing an area (either by providing incentives or investing in store front/streetscape types of improvements - or - providing police presence if neccessary) for there to be interest from business owners to either consider opening stores or running their businesses out of certain "undesirable" areas. Sometimes the losses a business owner can face are not worth giving a certain "area" a chance.
You make a good point, however, a town/city needs to devote more of that energy to the areas that are most readily accessible to the largest # of people. In the case of the area that the OP was referencing, traffic counts would never support a large investment in that area, as it is relatively isolated from the rest of the town. Throwing millions of taxpayer money into that area still doesn't overcome the basic axiom of real estate. Location, location, location.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM

3,989 posts, read 6,573,136 times
Good points from you as well - to the OP - i think the abundance of "for rent" signs you mention in that area should be a sign to you to move on, obviously businesses don't seem to survive there.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,554 times
I know I'm late to the conversation so, did you start a business?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut