Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 PM

87 posts, read 214,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I understand what JV was trying to say, but he could have been clearer. The part number will be the same, the actual source of the part is where the difference lies. A good example of this that you may recall is the Toyota/Lexus throttle(unintended acceleration) issue. There were a few sources that Toyota received the part from, and they were all branded with the same stock part number. It took Toyota quite awhile to figure out exactly which subcontractor was supplying these defective(?) parts.
I don't think there is any clear consensus as to the Toyota unintended acceleration topic. That aside, I will be sure to compare the same part at HD vs. a plumbing supply store when I am ready to move forward. I expect it too be identical. If not, I will go with the better part and cede the argument and my own ignorance in this thread. I think the logical observation is that HD and Lowes cut out a profit margin for contractors and supply houses and so both are motivated to maintain that there is a difference in the materials.

By the way, there is certainly a place for the specialty stores. You will get far better service and much more knowledgable staff. Plus, you have access to different and better materials than what you can get at the big box stores. I just don't buy into the whole Kohler ABC123 toilet is different at HD than the same part is at the supply house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 12:30 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stook1 View Post
I just don't buy into the whole Kohler ABC123 toilet is different at HD than the same part is at the supply house.
Let's try a different approach here.

Would you say that it is fair to assume that there will be different subcontracting sources that supply "Kohler" with toilet handles/valves/gaskets/etc?

Is it fair to assume that "Kohler" will have more than one plant that assembles their toilets?

Old 07-01-2011, 12:42 PM

87 posts, read 214,581 times
I don't think any of us can reasonably describe the back-end supply chain for any one manufacturer, let alone the many manufacturers across many industries.

There is one thing that we should all be able to agree on with certainty. HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc. have VASTLY stronger buying power than other merchants and they have been using that power to undercut mom and pop shops for decades. That is the clearest explanation for why HD or Lowes would sell the same product for less money. I'm open to the possibility that some parts may be of substandard quality at the big box stores but I don't think any of us have the ability to conclude that with any broad sweeping certainty at all (for the same part number, ie. not the house brands).

Old 07-01-2011, 01:17 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stook1 View Post
I don't think any of us can reasonably describe the back-end supply chain for any one manufacturer, let alone the many manufacturers across many industries.

There is one thing that we should all be able to agree on with certainty. HD, Lowes, Walmart, etc. have VASTLY stronger buying power than other merchants and they have been using that power to undercut mom and pop shops for decades. That is the clearest explanation for why HD or Lowes would sell the same product for less money. I'm open to the possibility that some parts may be of substandard quality at the big box stores but I don't think any of us have the ability to conclude that with any broad sweeping certainty at all (for the same part number, ie. not the house brands).
Some of us do this for a living...so yes we do have certainty.

Do some reading here: (Small example)

Home Depot vs supply house - Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum

Some quotes from other professionals.
Delta lav faucet from Blowes will have a cheap, stamped, 22 gauge brass pop up. The one from Fergies will have a machined brass and 17 gauge pop up.
Lowes tub/shower faucets do not have integral stops. Plus you are funding the competition - our Lowes & Home Depot will do the install too at a price most plumbing companies won't accept as fair. They sell cheap products and offer cheap plumbing service.
I have pulled out my faucets to compare a few times, most customers take theirs back. The ones who don't get no warranty.
Im with plumberman on this one when a faucet from Home Depot can weight 2 pounds and the one from ferguson is 4 you know they cut corners internally on those faucets with cheap plastic parts and if you warranty your work its worth the few extra bucks and no headaches.
Trust me, when you hold them in your hands, take them apart they are different. Not to mention the box stores generally don't carry some of the high quality items that you'll find at a place like Winnelson. Tubs and surrounds would be one. Go ahead, purchase the $200 tub. Good luck when it's cracking a few years down the road unless you set it in a concrete bed which in the end costs you as much as a quality unit.

Furthermore, don't think manufacturers produce similar and not identical products so they can't be cross shopped. Happens all the time.

Or here's a good story. Customer supplied toilet. Brand new right? Got a gooood deal on it at the borg stores - until I flipped it over and showed them 3 factory repaired cracks. But hey, it was new, cheap and "the same".

Old 07-01-2011, 01:48 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
There is a reason why I call that place Home Cheapo.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:00 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,006,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
There is a reason why I call that place Home Cheapo.
Lumber quality is a whole different beast. Garbage.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:40 PM

83,520 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Lumber quality is a whole different beast. Garbage.
I was going to comment on that! But I figured it would take away from my Cheapo comment. LOL Lumber is PATHETIC.. Absolutely a disgrace. We should just buy their lumber for firewood. And how about the re-taped boxes that go back on the shelves from returns?

I dont understand how that place is still around. Sometimes I wish there were just 3 local hardware stores instead. But I heard the Norwalk location is the highest grossing one.

On the flip side... let them all buy that crap. Cause they'll be calling us to replace eventually. lol

Old 07-01-2011, 10:07 PM

680 posts, read 1,576,020 times
When you say lumber quality do you mean the lumber products at home depot or a shop called lumber quality?

Old 07-01-2011, 10:13 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm not reading the guy to be a crook. I'm reading him to be someone that really doesn't want the job. Why would you want to get involved with a job where the customer is supplying the materials? These customers almost always turn out to be one's that you wish you hadn't gotten involved with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
When you say lumber quality do you mean the lumber products at home depot or a shop called lumber quality?

I called it!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2011, 10:25 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
Dont ever give 2/3 up front. I would say 1/3 is fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut