Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 09:20 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times

Advertisements

We transplanted from NY. We love it here. My family transplanted 10 years ago. No place or state is perfect. I understand taxes are high......trust me....go live in NY......you will see how high taxes are and how rude (most) people are.Try buying a house in NY.work in NY but smile as soon as I pull into my driveway in CT at night. My backyard is a farm, there is green everywhere, and its a better quality of life for the wife and I. Everyone has there opinions though. Nothing is perfect no matter where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Please get back to the original topic of this thread or I will start deleting postings and issuing infractions. JayCT, Moderator

Old 07-12-2011, 01:28 PM

74 posts, read 152,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Politics,politics,politics..... man I could have started a thread on the color of the sun and it would have turned into a political discussion here on the CT forum.

Well, thanks for the feedback I guess everyone. I am well aware I'm not coming home to Shang-Ra-La. Its why I moved in the first place I guess. I still think CT has alot of good even if its costly as hell to live there.

Politics comments should be in a sticky like the weather thread unless there is real news and the discussion should be in threads about politics

There is almost no political "discussion" on this forum. There are a lot of posts (from both ends) that read like "let me tell you why you are an idiot" "NO NO NO, let me tell you why you are an idiot"

Old 07-12-2011, 03:06 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridgeport Rising View Post
Politics comments should be in a sticky like the weather thread unless there is real news and the discussion should be in threads about politics

There is almost no political "discussion" on this forum. There are a lot of posts (from both ends) that read like "let me tell you why you are an idiot" "NO NO NO, let me tell you why you are an idiot"
Unfortunately we are only allowed two "sticky" threads on this forum. There have been many threads discussing politics on this forum. In the last couple of days there have been at least five (5) threads that are either political or turned political on this forum. Keep in mind, the purpose of this forum is not to discuss politics. It is to provide people with informaiton on Connecticut. Jay

Old 07-12-2011, 04:02 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times
getting back on track, that's the beauty of America, if you move somewhere and it isn't as "green" as you thought, you can move back. Here's my route of travel so far.

Years 0-5, Bronx NY
Years 6-20, Long island south shore
Years 21-23 except for summers in Long Island, Broward County FL for college
Years 24-33 North Shore Long Island
Years 34-present, Glastonbury, CT.

Yes we are looking to move, will we find "valhalla" somewhere else, of course not, but we are willing to give it a shot. No place is perfect, but we think there are better opportunities for us elsewhere. Hey, we can go and come back down the road, but we left NY and never looked back. Heck, part of me still wonders why I ever moved back to the NE from Florida in 1993. CT quality of life has been good to us, we love the rolling hills and country farms east of the CT river, people have been nice for the most part, o/k last winter sucked but hey it wasn't the norm. Since moving here our taxes have gone up substantially, job opportunities for me have gone down substantially, I still can't comprehend this yearly car tax thingy, and most importantly the boss (my wife) is ready for a change and is willing to go anywhere up and down the eastern seaboard. I love to fish, it is my passion, I would be miserable living in the middle of the country....I need the ocean within a reasonable driving distance.

It's a big country out there, with lots to see, lots to do, we are fortunate as we are not tied here, no kids, my wife is a nurse she can find a job most places. I'm the one that has to find something good. And off we go.

Old 07-13-2011, 12:10 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
getting back on track, that's the beauty of America, if you move somewhere and it isn't as "green" as you thought, you can move back. Here's my route of travel so far.

Years 0-5, Bronx NY
Years 6-20, Long island south shore
Years 21-23 except for summers in Long Island, Broward County FL for college
Years 24-33 North Shore Long Island
Years 34-present, Glastonbury, CT.

Yes we are looking to move, will we find "valhalla" somewhere else, of course not, but we are willing to give it a shot. No place is perfect, but we think there are better opportunities for us elsewhere. Hey, we can go and come back down the road, but we left NY and never looked back. Heck, part of me still wonders why I ever moved back to the NE from Florida in 1993. CT quality of life has been good to us, we love the rolling hills and country farms east of the CT river, people have been nice for the most part, o/k last winter sucked but hey it wasn't the norm. Since moving here our taxes have gone up substantially, job opportunities for me have gone down substantially, I still can't comprehend this yearly car tax thingy, and most importantly the boss (my wife) is ready for a change and is willing to go anywhere up and down the eastern seaboard. I love to fish, it is my passion, I would be miserable living in the middle of the country....I need the ocean within a reasonable driving distance.

It's a big country out there, with lots to see, lots to do, we are fortunate as we are not tied here, no kids, my wife is a nurse she can find a job most places. I'm the one that has to find something good. And off we go.
Well, wherever you go, dont buy a house.

Old 07-13-2011, 02:34 PM

how come? Have a house now, oh I get it it ties you down? kind of does, we are listing it for sale, but I don't know I just can't pay rent endlessly, at least I have quite a bit of equity in my home, we are not upside down on our mortgage which is good.

Old 07-13-2011, 03:39 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
ctwhitechin, Your wife is a nurse. That's super, as that is still a thriving profession in dozens of states.

Old 07-13-2011, 04:34 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
how come? Have a house now, oh I get it it ties you down? kind of does, we are listing it for sale, but I don't know I just can't pay rent endlessly, at least I have quite a bit of equity in my home, we are not upside down on our mortgage which is good.
A house is an anchor..I ended up in Charlotte much longer than I wanted to be.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:27 PM

I will price this right if it means us getting out. I just don't want to pay someone elses mortgage by paying rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut