Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 1,915 times

Advertisements

I will be attending University New Haven , boyfriend works Bronxville - Looking for an apartment in a town that is somewhere in between Any suggestions?? Unfortunately we can only afford $1100/month for 1 bed. Any suggestions ??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 09:01 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
I can only think of a few places for that budget, especially since there will be other expenses as well. Milford or Stratford come to mind - both are safe and worth exploring, but these are right next door to New Haven so it would be a longer trip to Westchester (about 50-55 miles from these towns to Bronxville). You may find something in Bridgeport for $1100/month, but if you do you should get plenty of info about the neighborhood, because that city is really hit or miss.

Did you try any online searches? There's plenty to choose from - Craig'slist, apartments.com, etc. Definitely check those out & if you see something and have questions about an area or town just ask us. Lots of people who post here know that area well & can chime in with their input.

Last edited by MikefromCT; 09-08-2011 at 09:14 AM..

Old 09-08-2011, 09:22 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
The fact that he's in Bronxville and you're at UNH makes it really difficult. Do you know if there are shuttles from the train stations to his work that are accessible by the New Haven line? Unfortunately you cannot get to the Bronxville station directly from the New Haven train line, and commuting by car isn't an option due to traffic. If there's public transportation from New Rochelle or one of those towns along that line to Bronxville, that might work. The other option is transferring in Harlem (!) and taking the train back up to Harlem. That puts the train ride at almost 2 hours each way. But even to New Roc, you have to transfer in Stamford since it's not a common stop for the New Haven line. I'm not sure there are any on the New Haven line in Westchester, maybe someone else knows better.

You have to drive to UNH, train is not really an option, unless you want to take a bus.

This is tough. I second the Milford/Stratford option IF he can find a public transportation route to work.

Traffic between Milford and West Haven (where UNH is) can get a little dicey because of all the construction on the new 95/91 interchange. You might have to take Route 1 on some days. I wouldn't want to live further away than Stratford to UNH since you'll be getting caught in traffic a lot. It's not like class is a 9-5 schedule that's easily planned for.

Good luck, this is going to be really tough. Your boyfriend might want to start looking for other jobs if you really want to do this.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:58 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,722,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Do you know if there are shuttles from the train stations to his work that are accessible by the New Haven line? Unfortunately you cannot get to the Bronxville station directly from the New Haven train line, and commuting by car isn't an option due to traffic. This is tough. I second the Milford/Stratford option IF he can find a public transportation route to work.
I don't think there are shuttles. And I knew MetroNorth isn't an option, that's why I didn't mention it. The fact that the trains don't make any stops in Westchester and requires stopping either at 125th/GC and then going back? That's ridiculous. I can't believe they don't stop anywhere. I realize most people are going straight into NYC but still...

Driving may be a schlep but there's always Merritt. I realize it's heavily traveled but it sure beats 95. There must be a way to get to Bronxville once it turns into the Hutchinson when you get to Westchester.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
I realize it's heavily traveled but it sure beats 95.
Not really. Do you drive it at rush hour? They're both awful.

He'd have to leave at 6AM and then leave work at 6:30-7PM to avoid the really bad traffic.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:03 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Driving may be a schlep but there's always Merritt. I realize it's heavily traveled but it sure beats 95.
Not at all. The Merritt is just as bad.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:07 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,945,109 times
I agree the commute is going to be difficult. How does your BF get to work now? You may want to live in Stamford so you both are commuting against traffic. Stamford though is expensive. I am not sure what you will get for your money there. Jay

Old 09-08-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I agree the commute is going to be difficult. How does your BF get to work now? You may want to live in Stamford so you both are commuting against traffic. Stamford though is expensive. I am not sure what you will get for your money there. Jay
Going to college is not like commuting. She could easily hit terrible traffic depending on class times (once from Stamford to Bridgeport and again after Milford) and there's no train to UNH.

This is a lose-lose situation unfortunately.

Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
As someone who drove from very close to Bronxville to the Bridgeport area the last 2 years, I can tell you the commute to Bronxville is going to be tough. (And Jay, Stamford to Bronxville is hardly "against traffic", the reality is that while a lot of people commute from Westchester to Stamford, the other way is just as if not more true.....it's a unique situation where people commute both ways......at 8am the Hutch Parkway is bumper to bumper in BOTH directions!).

For a somewhat bigger budget, you could live closer to Bronxville and you deal with the long (but doable) reverse commute. The problem is not the distance (with no traffic at all even Bronxville to New Haven could actually be done in about an hour, it generally took me about 40-45 min to get to Bridgeport), but there is traffic on BOTH the Merritt and Hutch (as well as 95) as early as 7am. My hours in Bridgeport (no longer at that job) were from 7:30-3:30 and sometimes I'd see the traffic going the other way even at 6:45am right after I left home! And the reverse at 4pm.

Very little west of Bridgeport is in your budget, and even from Bridgeport it could take him up to 2 hours to get to Bronxville in all that rush hour traffic.

Sorry, this is just the sad reality of this area. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkiv808 View Post
Good luck, this is going to be really tough. Your boyfriend might want to start looking for other jobs if you really want to do this.
Easier said than done right now for most.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut