Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:20 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,216,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I mentioned in the past, with all the "ish" going on as of late, I predict another major demographic shift and population change much like the early 90's all over again.

Seems it might be already underway.

Moving trends: More people leave Northeast - BostonHerald.com (http://bostonherald.com/news/national/northeast/view/20120105moving_trends_more_people_leave_northeast - broken link)
Migration trends tracked by the nation’s largest moving company show Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Hampshire and Maine are among Northeastern states with the highest number of people heading out.
Edit: Link above archived, see new link below.

Northeast Exceeds Great Lakes Region to Lead the Nation in Outbound Migration,... -- ST. LOUIS, Jan. 3, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
The Northeast is the most well-represented region on the high-outbound traffic list. In addition to New Jersey, New York (58.3%), Rhode Island (56.3%), New Hampshire (56.1%), Connecticut (55.8%) and Maine (55.8%) are also included.
Cant wait to get back to CT!!!! All these negative threads are no deterrent. I have seen the other side!! Its not any prettier. May not have as much disposable income but so what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 02:26 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,063,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Cant wait to get back to CT!!!! All these negative threads are no deterrent. I have seen the other side!! Its not any prettier. May not have as much disposable income but so what.
I'm not posting anything as a deterrent...knock yourself out. I'm just posting what's actually happening in this state for people's information.

And before you forget, I was staunchly opposed to you moving to Charlotte...you should have listened to me the first time. lol

Old 01-26-2012, 03:13 PM

35,166 posts, read 57,346,971 times
Where has this moving company's data "shaken out in the past". Large moving companies are used mostly by affluent people moving a long distance. A big part of their business is moving retirees. They do not necessarily move families who are coming from adjacent states or young people moving into the state for jobs (yes there are young people moving to this state, just look at the people that come onto this fourm). If you follow this company's information Connecticut would have lost population in the last decade but it did not. And it also maintain its high income level so it not just working people being replaced by poor people.

On top of this Connecticut's unemployment rate is lower than the national average so it means that there are still jobs here even in this terrible economy. The picture is not as dire as you think but you are right it certainly could be better. Jay

Old 01-26-2012, 05:08 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,216,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm not posting anything as a deterrent...knock yourself out. I'm just posting what's actually happening in this state for people's information.

And before you forget, I was staunchly opposed to you moving to Charlotte...you should have listened to me the first time. lol
? I didn't even know this forum EXISTED when i moved to Charlotte so I am not sure what you are talking about.

I'm glad people keep leaving..maybe I'll be able to drive down the Merritt and I95 someday without too much traffic.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:55 PM

83,655 posts, read 75,879,355 times
Connecticut Population Percent Change 2000-2011: +5.1%

States in the Northeast that were losing to the Sun Belt enjoyed faster growth largely because people are not moving and, therefore, not leaving.

New York is growing almost three times as fast now as it was in the mid-2000s.

Massachusetts is growing faster than during most of the last decade.

New Hampshire is on the flip side of the equation: It grew only 0.1% to 1.3 million, largely because fewer people are moving from Massachusetts. Maine suffered from the slowdown in migration even more. It gained only 800 people and births now barely outnumber deaths (by 180).

U.S. population growth sluggish

Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM

21,928 posts, read 28,360,042 times
Why is a lack of population growth in the US seen as a bad thing? Quality, not quantity. Overpopulation is a terrifying consideration in the future. India and China have unsustainable growth.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,928,726 times
Population counts encompass all age groups.

My sister pushed out 3 in between census'. Her friends and neighbors all seem to have pushed out 2 or 3 as well.......

Babies made for the population "growth".

Old 01-26-2012, 06:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 18,022,026 times
Negatives about CT, from my personal perspective:
  • Winters are too cold and too long
  • Cost of living is too high
  • Too fast paced and stressful
  • Too much overpriced, old construction
  • People could be friendlier
  • People care about money way too much
  • Severely aged transportation and utility infrastructure
  • Not enough people in their 20's
  • Too urbanized and overpopulated
Positives about CT, from my personal perspective:
  • Job market is not too bad
  • Jobs pay significantly better than other states
  • Gay friendly and tolerant of diversity
  • People don't push their religion on others
  • Plentiful shopping, activities and amenities
  • Beautiful natural landscape
  • Family is within driving distance
  • Large population of educated people

Old 01-26-2012, 06:55 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,216,531 times
I agree with Nep on the not enough 20 somethings. Although, most of my friends have stuck by, the ones that did move away came back within a year or so. But we live on the coast where there is way more to do than other areas.

CT really needs more apartments (1 or 2br) even in the smaller towns because it seems that if a college grad can't live nearby pretty close to their home towns they are more inclined to move out of the state. The up side might be making the cities more of magnets for this demo so that it's not a crazy idea for masses of grads from say Branford to say New Haven.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,633,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
[*]Too urbanized and overpopulated
I really think this element is exaggerated. The % of the land area of the state that is urbanized or even significantly populated at all is very small. People concentrate way too much on the shoreline and a couple cities when making generalizations - which aren't even that urbanized anyway. And definitely not very sprawly. Hell even a high % of shoreline towns have fairly low population and population density.

That description describes a very small % of the state IMO. If you drive the entire state, what you'll mostly see is rural and rural-suburban areas. And as I said, even FFC fits this description mostly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut