Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 06:57 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,201,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandaija2009 View Post
I believe it. My wife and I got out a few months ago and a lot of our friends are talking of leaving. We came down to Florida, bought a beautiful home we could have never even come close to affording in CT. It's been a difficult transition but each day gets better. I missed the first snow and decorating our palm trees with Christmas lights was a little different. The weather is gorgeous now and can't complain about that. We came in August and it was HORRIBLE, but we got through it. I just got out of work and am sitting outside by the pool! Just like checking in the CT forums to see what's going on. We were so apprehensive about making the move after all the negatives we've read. Pay, insurance, cost of living, etc. Actually our pay is lower, but only by 10-15%. Makes up for no income tax I guess. We hit the local farmers market every Sat. and get our fresh fruits and veggies for the week so that saves us too. Gas is cheaper, car insurance was cheaper, and home-owners isn't bad ($1200yr). The economy is actually getting better here. Don't know about CT. Miss our friends, and those Sunday drives along long country roads. I guess it's not always greener on the other side but I can say my grass is very green right now.

So you havent done a whole summer yet? Talk to us around next August...oh and good luck. If you thought just August was horrible you are in for a long summer. And ...if you don't like the heat you will NEVER get used to it. Don't believe that fallacy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2012, 07:16 AM

79 posts, read 123,260 times
Quote:
I believe it. My wife and I got out a few months ago and a lot of our friends are talking of leaving. We came down to Florida, bought a beautiful home we could have never even come close to affording in CT. It's been a difficult transition but each day gets better. I missed the first snow and decorating our palm trees with Christmas lights was a little different. The weather is gorgeous now and can't complain about that. We came in August and it was HORRIBLE, but we got through it. I just got out of work and am sitting outside by the pool! Just like checking in the CT forums to see what's going on. We were so apprehensive about making the move after all the negatives we've read. Pay, insurance, cost of living, etc. Actually our pay is lower, but only by 10-15%. Makes up for no income tax I guess. We hit the local farmers market every Sat. and get our fresh fruits and veggies for the week so that saves us too. Gas is cheaper, car insurance was cheaper, and home-owners isn't bad ($1200yr). The economy is actually getting better here. Don't know about CT. Miss our friends, and those Sunday drives along long country roads. I guess it's not always greener on the other side but I can say my grass is very green right now.
Where do you live?
I'm moving back to CT from FL. I find that unless you live in one of the major cities down here, there isn't much to do/see.

Old 01-28-2012, 07:45 AM

633 posts, read 1,650,092 times
We need more people moving here... Just let them all moved in the urbanized area and built towering apartments/condos to make room for everything.

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 AM

21,892 posts, read 28,268,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm&Hammer View Post
We need more people moving here... Just let them all moved in the urbanized area and built towering apartments/condos to make room for everything.
New Haven county has the lowest rental vacancy rate in the country. Time to refurbish old buildings and build new ones to keep up with demand.

Old 01-28-2012, 11:00 AM

633 posts, read 1,650,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
New Haven county has the lowest rental vacancy rate in the country. Time to refurbish old buildings and build new ones to keep up with demand.
Old buildings, long as it's not a historic ones since we all know a lot of lost happend in New Haven... anything ugly from the 50s and up can go.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:00 PM

4,546 posts, read 6,828,959 times
The article doesn't break down the demographics or list the reasons for the move.

New England has one of the oldest average-age populations in the country. As many babyboomers retire it is not surprising that they are moving south to a warmer climate. I know several people who sold their homes and pocketed a large amount of cash (prices much more stable here during downturn) and are moving to a home that they purchased for a fraction of its original cost in Florida where home prices were devastated.

It's an economic lottery win for them since they sold high and bought low. It works out well because many have good pensions/retirement savings and it was a "once in a life time" opportunity for them.

I'd do the same thing if I was eligible to retire and the conditions were the same. However, I'd spend my summers in northern New England because I hate the summer heat of the south.

Old 01-28-2012, 12:55 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,954,268 times
As I have posted on this subject before,we are looking to return,the houses for us are caught up in 2008 assessment with high taxes,we can pay cash but cannot and will not pay high taxes.The homes have come down in price and some are reassessing to sane level.We are looking at Hartford County.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM

216 posts, read 566,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuriel View Post
Where do you live?
I'm moving back to CT from FL. I find that unless you live in one of the major cities down here, there isn't much to do/see.
We are in North Port, Sarasota County. We find we have a lot to do here. State parks in the area, beaches are around 20 mins away. We enjoy it here very much but who's to say we won't get tired of it after a while, who knows. My sister has been here 20 yrs and would never call another place home but she does admit she loves a cool rainy day every once and a while to break up the monotony. Would I rule out a move back to the northeast, absolutely not. Sometimes I feel no matter what, I'll always be a New Englander. I hate to admit it though, I don't think I would ever come back to CT. Things to me just seemed to get way too expensive. I grew up in CT and moved away when I was 45. Its changed so much. Seems as though the middle-class of CT got pushed away

Old 01-28-2012, 06:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,932,490 times
Quote:
We are in North Port, Sarasota County. We find we have a lot to do here. State parks in the area, beaches are around 20 mins away. We enjoy it here very much but who's to say we won't get tired of it after a while, who knows. My sister has been here 20 yrs and would never call another place home but she does admit she loves a cool rainy day every once and a while to break up the monotony. Would I rule out a move back to the northeast, absolutely not. Sometimes I feel no matter what, I'll always be a New Englander. I hate to admit it though, I don't think I would ever come back to CT. Things to me just seemed to get way too expensive. I grew up in CT and moved away when I was 45. Its changed so much. Seems as though the middle-class of CT got pushed away
How do you like North Port? Wife and I are heading down in april, staying in warm mineral springs for a week to hunt for property. Were going to look in NP, Venice, Bonita springs, Englewood and lots of other places. Any tips?

Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM

199 posts, read 422,290 times
I don't put any stock in the moving company's findings either, it just doesn't jive with the latest census data.

Connecticut has a lot going on for it, and the average home price isn't just $400 000+ as another mentioned.. it is in lower Fairfield County, but the state is bigger than that ...
(median home price 2009)
Waterbury: $168 000
New Britain: $172 000
Hartford: $185 000
East Hartford: $195 000
Meriden: $206 000
Norwich: $209 000
New London: $210 000
Bridgeport: $219 000
Bristol: $220 000
New Haven: $232 000

You're better off living in a CT city, and there are tons of nice, quiet, safe neighborhoods to do so with affordable houses on the market. I think there are opportunities for young professionals as well, and they're not all leaving the state for the pull of Atlanta or Austin. A few, but not those kinds of numbers. And I find people do enjoy places outside of New Haven - West Hartford, Middletown, Manchester and Norwalk come to mind. There are clubs throughout the state for nightlife, always festivals and events. I'm sure several find some other reason to complain, most haven't been to many other places, but I think this state has more going for it than most any other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut