Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 08:02 AM

5 posts, read 17,255 times

Advertisements

I read somewhere that the typical Byram resident wouldn't say that they live in Byram. Instead they would say that they live in Greenwich as if there is a bad connotation about Byram.

As an outsider, I'd like to know whether the area north of I-95 and south of Rail Road is that bad/unsafe, or is the article merely pointing out Byram as the only blue collar residential area in Greenwich, as it is the most affordable part of Greenwich?

I know that there was a failed byram river high end apartment project in recent years, but I'd like to know to those who knows the area whether such improvement as the new state of the art Byram Library failed to "gentrify" the area, if it needs improvement to begin with.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:12 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by batakdepores View Post
I read somewhere that the typical Byram resident wouldn't say that they live in Byram. Instead they would say that they live in Greenwich as if there is a bad connotation about Byram.
Well, they do live in Greenwich.

Quote:
or is the article merely pointing out Byram as the only blue collar residential area in Greenwich, as it is the most affordable part of Greenwich?
It's far from unsafe. That area is a tad rundown (in comparison to the rest of town), but it's affordable and safe. Byram is home to a lot of contractors, police officers, nurses and firefighters.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:52 AM

168 posts, read 275,376 times
Growing up in Wilton I can tell you Glendale & Byram are not the "nice" part of town. Slums no, however if you have children in the school system watch out with the not nice comments.

Old 01-31-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Well, they do live in Greenwich.

It's far from unsafe. That area is a tad rundown (in comparison to the rest of town), but it's affordable and safe. Byram is home to a lot of contractors, police officers, nurses and firefighters.
Well, that's like someone living in South LA saying they live in LA. Technically they're right but someone living in Old Greenwich or Riverside will state it specifically rather than generalize, I think.

Back to your comment, so rundown only means the houses are not updated or maintained as well. Is it because it's mostly multifamily rentals?

Thanks.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:17 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,193,827 times
Quote:
Well, that's like someone living in South LA saying they live in LA. Technically they're right but someone living in Old Greenwich or Riverside will state it specifically rather than generalize, I think.
LOL, well LA is a bit larger than Greenwich. When someone from Bridgeport or White Plains asks someone who lives in the Byram section where they live, they're likely to respond Greenwich. People who don't know the area have no idea where Byram is. Everyone knows "Greenwich".

Anyway...

Quote:
Back to your comment, so rundown only means the houses are not updated or maintained as well. Is it because it's mostly multifamily rentals?

Thanks.
Yes, that's exactly it. Lots of older homes, some of which haven't been updated, many of which have. Some multi-family homes, some apartment complexes. Byram is generally the entry level of Greenwich; it's where people from less well-to-do towns struggle to move so their kids can attend the Greenwich school system.

It's far from unsafe, though.

Old 01-31-2012, 03:25 PM

21,735 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Anyone who puts down Byram has some serious perception issues. It's still pretty expensive and a good area by most metrics.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:28 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,857,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Anyone who puts down Byram has some serious perception issues. It's still pretty expensive and a good area by most metrics.
It does appear a bit dumpy though. Someone unfamiliar with the boundaries would have a hard time distinguishing between Port Chester and Byram. IMHO.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Stylo, that's what I'm trying to get the feel of. I know that Port Chester is actually a much more "expensive" (or rather bad) buy (or rather investment) than Byram because you have to account of the much more expensive property tax and a much less desirable school system. Of course you'll get an updated house in Port Chester as opposed to need TLC house in Greenwich, at $500k.

Is it the current population or proximity to Port Chester that makes Byram average property value is $500k, what I assume is the lowest in Greenwich?

Old 01-31-2012, 08:17 PM

21,735 posts, read 28,065,714 times
Well, many of the $500k homes in Byram would be $150k-200k in more middle class towns in CT. Older homes, small lots/high density and the "feel" being more like Port Chester mean lower values. That said, if you transplanted a neighborhood of Byram elsewhere in the denser coastal areas of Greenwich, I'm not sure those homes would be THAT much more.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Well, many of the $500k homes in Byram would be $150k-200k in more middle class towns in CT. Older homes, small lots/high density and the "feel" being more like Port Chester mean lower values. That said, if you transplanted a neighborhood of Byram elsewhere in the denser coastal areas of Greenwich, I'm not sure those homes would be THAT much more.
Stylo, perhaps your answer nailed it on the head. Byram has a Port Chester feel while it supposed to have a Greenwich "feel." I do feel that Mill St/Delavan Avenue has an old small town feeling but yet very clean.

I really have to drive thru the area, because the description "run down" and "ghetto" (my interpretation of gilfman comment) are two different things. Coming from Queens, NY, a run down Byram might be tolerable as long as it is safe.

With some economist saying that the median house price has to come down to pre-bubble (1999) price, does that mean Byram current 450-500k houses has to come down to 300-400k level (or less)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut