Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:24 AM

1,351 posts, read 2,695,626 times

Advertisements

"For instance the one in Danbury on Mill Plain is much nicer than the one on Newtown Rd."
i preferred the Mill Plain store myself when i lived down there but at some point circa 2006 they did away with the 3 liter bottles of S&S soda (Sun Pop?). Newtown rd maybe too since i remember having to go to the Shop Rite way up on Federal rd to get the 3 liters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2012, 05:31 AM

45,456 posts, read 60,666,498 times
Stop and Shop bought the large local chain here (Giant) several years ago. Within a couple months I noticed the same things here many of you complain about: discontinuation of products, empty shelves, lack of attention, increased prices, etc. In our area Royal Ahold has not been the good corporate citizen that Giant was. Consequently they lost a lot of customers,

Old 02-20-2012, 07:43 AM

2,727 posts, read 6,157,188 times
While this isn;t about lack of chocies, it is about S&S , so hopefully I can throw this in.

It bugs me to no end when I go in on Sunday morning, whether at 7am or 9-10am, and the aisles are jammed packed and blocked with the stock they are unloading. This NEVER used to happen when they ran their sales Sunday-Satuarday. Since changing to Friday-Thursday I have noticed this. And Sunday morning tends to be the busiest (at least in my location). Maybe they can't control when trucks arrive as far as stocking overnight, but it's quite annoying. I had to carry a case of water from one end of the aisle all the way to the other because I couldn't get my cart down and no one was around to help. (I have a bum shoulder and a worse elbow, which is why it's a big deal to me to have carry it far)

Old 02-20-2012, 10:24 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
I too have noticed that they are stocking shelves more during the busier times. I htink they stopped doing it at night like they use to. I know they eliminated the open 24 hours at many stores at about the same time. I am sure it is some idiotic bean counter who said they could save X number of dollars a year by doing this. I wonder if they realize that peoiple get annoyed and may be going elsewhere to shop because of this. Typical dumb corporate thinking. Jay

Old 02-20-2012, 06:17 PM

2,727 posts, read 6,157,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I too have noticed that they are stocking shelves more during the busier times. I htink they stopped doing it at night like they use to. I know they eliminated the open 24 hours at many stores at about the same time. I am sure it is some idiotic bean counter who said they could save X number of dollars a year by doing this. I wonder if they realize that peoiple get annoyed and may be going elsewhere to shop because of this. Typical dumb corporate thinking. Jay

Absolutely. This has - many times - driven me to go to Shop Rite which is much farther away from S&S. Just because I know I can make it through there without all that nonsense.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:17 PM

431 posts, read 447,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I was at Stop & Shop this morning too. I was mad because they did not have the large boxes of Kleenix I like but they redeemed themselves by bringing back the bag of rawhide bones I buy for our dogs. They had not had those for a couple of weeks now. Oh and the ice cream case was full here. I think Hood was on sale and there was a large selection. Jay

OT but you should really consider not giving your dogs rawhide. Much better chews out there that are fully digestible, won't possibly cause blockages, and aren't dyed and gross for them.

Old 02-22-2012, 03:29 PM

519 posts, read 744,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2000 View Post
I really wished Orange allowed Stew Leonard's because that would of been a great choice. I might even email them and tell them to occupy the old showcase cinemas in Milford.

I was never a fan of S&S due to their prices. I notice ShopRite following the same path. I have been doing Aldi's more and more.

I'm shocked they never made anything of that land where the old showcase cinema was.. I figure that would be a good spot to put a store.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:39 PM

1,231 posts, read 2,690,144 times
Well.. I shop at S&S cause it's 3 miles down the rd. yes they are heavily pushing the higher profit in store brands that they don't accept coupons for& eliminating national brands. I'm on fixed income I'm not driving to ShopRite at current gas prices.

Sadly the Ansonia ShopRite has worse meats & produce doesn't last.

I think the name should be stuck & shop

Also heard they (ahold bv- S&S parent company) rents vacant stores under sham names to block competion moving in. Rent the space for years, & keep the plazas empty on purpose. Sucks

Old 02-22-2012, 08:54 PM

21,782 posts, read 28,131,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubieB4 View Post
I'm shocked they never made anything of that land where the old showcase cinema was.. I figure that would be a good spot to put a store.
AFAIK it's not on the market. The owners may be waiting for the right time to sell.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:10 AM

34,962 posts, read 57,016,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
AFAIK it's not on the market. The owners may be waiting for the right time to sell.
Isn't the old Showcase site where Southern Connecticut Gas is building its headquarters/operations center? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut