Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 04:55 PM

502 posts, read 1,393,047 times

Advertisements

The normal flow in the Farmington Valley seems to be 10 mph over the posted limit; it's one of the first "quirks" I quickly learned after first moving here seven years ago. I'm thinking this is probably a state-wide thing as well? (Which is fine with me - I've never been stopped here and I also like to "get there faster"). I don't think it's people with an "attitude" as much as it is just people trying to be efficient and get where they've got to go. For the occasional douchebag (and it has to be REALLY bad for me to resort to this) on my bumper, sometimes I just pull over and let the guy pass rather than risk my life and theirs in the event that I may need to brake for a squirrel...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 07:23 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,871,858 times
In all the years i've been commuting on the Merritt, i can honestly say that "tailgating" isn't a problem. Not leaving enough space between cars when traffic comes to a stop is a HUGE problem though. One person doesn't stop in time, and wham, now you have 5 vehicles involved in the collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I agree with you on tailgaters being horrendous but there is some wiggle room in thinking about the "left lane hogs." On 95 I typicaly drive 65-75 in the middle lane. If I'm late for work or a class, I'll get into the left lane and drive 85-88 MPH. It doesn't happen frequently, but when I'm in the left lane at 7:30 AM or 7-8 PM someone from NY or NJ pulls up behind me trying to go 95-100 MPH. I don't pull into the center lane. I don't want to be driving 65 MPH in the center lane when I need to get somewhere fast, and I don't think it's necessary or appropriate to be driving near 100 MPH when there are other people on the road. In those cases, I am an 85 MPH moving left lane hog. I don't regret not pulling over.

If i'm in the mood to "speed", i gladly yield to the person that wishes to drive 100 and say thanks for being my camouflage.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 06-28-2012 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-28-2012, 08:04 PM

132 posts, read 149,571 times
If you don't want to be tailgated then stay out of the left lane, forever. If you're doing 70mph and coming up on a car doing 69mph and there is a car coming up from behind you doing 80mph, don't get in the left and pass the car at a 1mph pace. Step on the damn gas and get around him then drop back down to 70. People putting along in the left lane cause more traffic issues than anything. (just my opinion from experience.)

I moved from CT to Richmond, VA where EVERYONE drives the same speed in ALL lanes. Drives me absolutely nuts, worse than people who put their windshield wipers on full speed when it's barely drizzling. I love me some CT ******* drivers, that's what I miss most.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:19 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,742 times
I think that many of the posters have hit many of the issues.

I drive frequently through CT (no choice really when heading to Mass. from NJ). I find that drivers with NY plates (esp. big SUVs with NY plates) are probably the most obnoxious and in a rush (to get back to Huntington or Ronkonkoma). I think that there is a lot of frustration on CT highways (esp. 95 and 91 south of Hartford) and 84 during peak hours because of clogged-up left lanes and also big rig trucks in the center lane. But the reasons for these frequent obstructions of traffic flow stem from the fact that most highways in the urban northeast corridor are far over-capacity. They need to be 4 to 5 lane freeways at least to handle the amount of traffic that flows through the region. Think about it - 95, the merrit parkway, 91 and 84 connect the NYC/NJ/PA/MD/DC/Northern VA corridor (which has about 35 million people) with New England (about 14 million). You can figure out the number of vehicles from those figures. 84 in most stretches west of Hartford is a two land winding road. 91 is only three lanes for the most part with some left exits. 95 is only three lanes west of New Haven and is more of a local highway with continuous exits rather than being a true limited access freeway. The Merritt Parkway? It is a risk some are wiling to take and hardly a long distance travel option. Those are rather unfortunate options in the heart of the northeast corridor, home to far more people overall than the state of California. Yes, there are arrogant, entitled drivers who live in Fairfield county (and throughout the NY Metro area) however the real issues are over-capacity and antiquated highways which causes everyone to get on each others' nerves. Tailgating is just a symptom.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:05 PM

20 posts, read 36,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
I think that many of the posters have hit many of the issues.

I drive frequently through ... think that there is a lot of frustration on CT highways (esp. 95 and 91 south of Hartford) and 84 during peak hours because of clogged-up left lanes and also big rig trucks in the center lane. But the reasons for these frequent obstructions of traffic flow stem from the fact that most highways in the urban northeast corridor are far over-capacity.
Very true but compare to that sad four-lane 5 through the Central Valley in CA. Same issues but 1/80th of the rudeness!
Quote:
They need to be 4 to 5 lane freeways
to be pedantic — you mean "8 to 10"

Quote:
at least to handle the amount of traffic that flows through the region. Think about it - 95, the merrit parkway, 91 and 84 connect the NYC/NJ/PA/MD/DC/Northern VA corridor (which has about 35 million people)
with New England (about 14 million). You can figure out the number of vehicles from those figures. 84 in most stretches west of Hartford is a two land winding road. 91 is only three lanes for the most part with some left exits. 95 is only three lanes west of New Haven and is more of a local highway with continuous exits rather than being a true limited access freeway. The Merritt Parkway? It is a risk some are wiling to take and hardly a long distance travel option. Those are rather unfortunate options in the heart of the northeast corridor, home to far more people overall than the state of California. Yes, there are arrogant, entitled drivers who live in Fairfield county (and throughout the NY Metro area) however the real issues are over-capacity and antiquated highways which causes everyone to get on each others' nerves. Tailgating is just a symptom.
It might be but density in the Bay Area and SoCal PROVES the attitude of drivers is more endemic to the social morés expressed then the actual physical density of drivers to x-y-z.

And let's not forget Tennessee — the MOST HOSPITABLE drivers in the nation...

Old 06-29-2012, 09:55 PM

663 posts, read 1,864,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unother View Post
Very true but compare to that sad four-lane 5 through the Central Valley in CA. Same issues but 1/80th of the rudeness!

to be pedantic — you mean "8 to 10"

It might be but density in the Bay Area and SoCal PROVES the attitude of drivers is more endemic to the social morés expressed then the actual physical density of drivers to x-y-z.

And let's not forget Tennessee — the MOST HOSPITABLE drivers in the nation...

I agree that there is a pervasive Type-A personality throughout the populace (professional or not) in the northeast corridor. People are more easy-going in California and this is reflected in the more "lenient" and "forgiving" driving practices out there. However we still cannot discount the fact that I-95 through CT is almost as unforgiving as LA area freeways, largely due to the fact that it is not 8 to 10 lanes total. If the CT (and other urban Northeast) highways were built/upgraded (I know this is impossible in some locales) to handle current-day traffic volumes, then even the always bubbling beneath the surface northeastern attitudes would be mitigated and have less of an influence on the regional roadways.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:07 PM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panasyncp17 View Post
If you don't want to be tailgated then stay out of the left lane, forever. If you're doing 70mph and coming up on a car doing 69mph and there is a car coming up from behind you doing 80mph, don't get in the left and pass the car at a 1mph pace. Step on the damn gas and get around him then drop back down to 70. People putting along in the left lane cause more traffic issues than anything. (just my opinion from experience.)

I moved from CT to Richmond, VA where EVERYONE drives the same speed in ALL lanes. Drives me absolutely nuts, worse than people who put their windshield wipers on full speed when it's barely drizzling. I love me some CT ******* drivers, that's what I miss most.
Yeah but what happens when you cramp up on my sports car that can go 200mph because 5 cars ahead someone is being an idiot? I see this ALL the time.

The slow drivers in the left lane are only part of the problem....

Old 06-30-2012, 07:10 PM

78,453 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
I agree that there is a pervasive Type-A personality throughout the populace (professional or not) in the northeast corridor. People are more easy-going in California and this is reflected in the more "lenient" and "forgiving" driving practices out there. However we still cannot discount the fact that I-95 through CT is almost as unforgiving as LA area freeways, largely due to the fact that it is not 8 to 10 lanes total. If the CT (and other urban Northeast) highways were built/upgraded (I know this is impossible in some locales) to handle current-day traffic volumes, then even the always bubbling beneath the surface northeastern attitudes would be mitigated and have less of an influence on the regional roadways.
On the east coast you are likely to be tailgated and flipped off.
On the west coast, gunfire is more common.

But hey, I live in fly-over country in a home with 5 bedrooms that costs <300k with a <15min commute....LOL lol lol lol....poor me.

Old 06-30-2012, 07:25 PM

132 posts, read 149,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Yeah but what happens when you cramp up on my sports car that can go 200mph because 5 cars ahead someone is being an idiot? I see this ALL the time.

The slow drivers in the left lane are only part of the problem....

Well, I don't do that, people that do probably just tailgate everyone. If I come up on someone in the left lane and they aren't passing, I give them a chance to move over, if not, I give a flash, if that doesn't work then I'll just go around.

Old 07-01-2012, 06:20 PM

61 posts, read 108,463 times
People tailgate you because you are driving slow. If they do, just move over. I highly doubt that they will just continue to tailgate without a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut