Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 09:41 AM

284 posts, read 534,428 times

Advertisements

Thank you for all the suggestions! I am still a big fan of Westport, but will have to look more closely at Fairfield & Milford. We're also still considering Greenwich and the surrounding areas there. We'll have to see what's on the market for our price range and go from there, I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 09:43 AM

21,761 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions! I am still a big fan of Westport, but will have to look more closely at Fairfield & Milford. We're also still considering Greenwich and the surrounding areas there. We'll have to see what's on the market for our price range and go from there, I guess.
Greenwich will be a huge compromise in house for your budget, but it's certainly more convenient from a commute and NYC-visiting standpoint.

I think you will find many of the good qualities in Westport in other towns as well. It is certainly not unique in those regards, it is just more upscale.

Again, I must emphasize - if a train commute isn't feasible, DO NOT consider a driving commute east of Stamford. It's not worth it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:44 AM

173 posts, read 351,905 times
Just to get the best feel for FF, take the Post Road in or get off 95 around Exits 22-23. It's a very vibrant community, especially since 16 Handles (yogurt shop) and Fairfield University Bookstore came into the area. The walking area is right on the Post Road - you can't miss it.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Again, I must emphasize - if a train commute isn't feasible, DO NOT consider a driving commute east of Stamford. It's not worth it.
Don't consider a commute east of Stamford to where? Neither of us work in NYC. I work from home (would like to live close to coffee shops so I can work from there) and my husband works in Stamford.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elinyc View Post
Don't consider a commute east of Stamford to where? Neither of us work in NYC. I work from home (would like to live close to coffee shops so I can work from there) and my husband works in Stamford.
To Stamford. If he can't take the train to Stamford, the drive from Fairfield will be brutal on some days.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:48 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
To Stamford. If he can't take the train to Stamford, the drive from Fairfield will be brutal on most days.
Fixed that for ya.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times
Quote:
Your husband's job is in north Stamford now, right? Totally appreciate your pain. But honestly, being in Fairfield would save you, what, like 5 minutes of total travel time on the Merritt?

The OP never answered whether their job was close/accessible/shuttle-able to the Stamford train station or not. Huge factor. If it's a car commute I wouldn't even consider Fairfield personally.
We tend to hit traffic in two places on the Merritt - Westport and Trumbull. Cutting out the trumbull portion of the jam would help a decent amount, and Fairfield is an easy commute to Norwalk, Westport, Wilton, etc. if a job location changes.

But ultimately, I agree - if you're going to spend that much money, I would not suffer through a car commute from Fairfield to Stamford. It's really tough, though, because most places commutable to Stamford are either fairly rural, extremely expensive, or have a poor school system (Stamford and Norwalk).

A train commute is far more reasonable, at least if you don't have to then take a shuttle (which is what my husband does).

Old 08-01-2012, 09:52 AM

But ultimately, I agree - if you're going to spend that much money, I would not suffer through a car commute from Fairfield to Stamford. It's really tough, though, because most places commutable to Stamford are either fairly rural, extremely expensive, or have a poor school system (Stamford and Norwalk).

Yup, I agree completely! That's the problem I see with this area - it's either completely unaffordable (aka: Greenwich, New Canaan, Darien) or completely rural/woodsy, which I also dislike. It's very difficult to find a nice balance within a decent price range. Westport is closer to Stamford, so that's another big + for it. I think we'd probably be more likely to find a decent house in the ~600K range there than we would in Greenwich.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:03 AM

The coast is not rural east of Westport. I think you'll just find that more up north, like Ridgefield/Redding/Weston/Easton.

Definitely find out if a train commute is feasible. It makes things infinitely easier, but in commute time and finding what you want at a reasonable price. The Stamford area is ridiculously expensive.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:08 AM

Stylo - for some reason, it's not letting me reply to your message, but thank you so much for those recommendations in Milford. I can't wait to check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut