Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 04:14 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,863,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Ha, I'll believe it when I see it.
Its being upgraded as we speak will 2020 the completion date....the current is too congested and curvy to handle faster speeds or more trains so Amtrak went inland along the I-84 Corridor. There not ending service along the coast , Service will be split in half... The New Line will also connect all the current and future Rail lines in CT....like the Manchester line , Western Line , Maybrook line , Pittsfield line , Torrington Branch , Bristol Branch and Knowledge Corridor.... They also don't own the tracks in Connecticut so that's another reason for bypassing the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Thank You!

And just to add to that, can we please add a few stops in the towns where trains run through where currently there are no stops? This, and upgrading existing lines as you suggested, is what the Springfield-New Haven proposal called for - 70 MPH trains that stop in towns with existing stations and adding new ones in Newington, West Hartford and other towns. This is far more realistic than any in-process or proposed transportation schemes.
Those are being upgraded as we speak , this would be an entire new line...and it will 125mph on that line not 70mph... The Connecticut Plan is still growing , there are alot of in Process lines...all will greatly speed up and boost Economies in the cities they connect will the High Speed line boosting towns and cities by the billions....smaller connecting lines by a few million.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:24 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Some Papers are claiming that large swaths of land will need to be seized , Entire towns and Neighborhoods demolished and that's simply not true....the size of land needed is about the size of a 2 lane modern road.... The line would not cut through towns like highways did in the 60s and 70s , In most cases the line would tunnel under towns and large cities....and Viaduct over Valleys or Large Rivers...
I think this project is dead in the water. There's no way they're putting trains under people's homes so the only logical way to get these lines produced is by seizing land and destroying homes. CT has no incentive to seize residents' property when the lines won't stop in the state or will barely stop in the state. Connecticut isn't just a "through point." If the high speed lines can turn from express to quick stop express with multiple stations in CT then we could be having a different conversation.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I think this project is dead in the water. There's no way they're putting trains under people's homes so the only logical way to get these lines produced is by seizing land and destroying homes. CT has no incentive to seize residents' property when the lines won't stop in the state or will barely stop in the state. Connecticut isn't just a "through point." If the high speed lines can turn from express to quick stop express with multiple stations in CT then we could be having a different conversation.
It is a quick stop express , large cities are getting serviced by the HSR , the towns were chosen due current and future rail links. The line will run next to I-84 , so its not like its seizing massive amounts of land , the New England section would be built by private... This project is far from dead , seeing how the New Haven corridor is over capacity and there are very few alts...we could increase and straighten the New Haven line , but then close to 5,000 homes would need to go with this line it will be between 300-500 homes... They tunnel under peoples homes all the time in Europe and out west , for new railways and highways.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:35 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,448,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
It is a quick stop express , large cities are getting serviced by the HSR , the towns were chosen due current and future rail links. The line will run next to I-84 , so its not like its seizing massive amounts of land , the New England section would be built by private... This project is far from dead , seeing how the New Haven corridor is over capacity and there are very few alts...we could increase and straighten the New Haven line , but then close to 5,000 homes would need to go with this line it will be between 300-500 homes... They tunnel under peoples homes all the time in Europe and out west , for new railways and highways.
I think the major difference with the tunneling is that out west far less homes are built with basements so it's less of an issue. In Europe, governments use significantly more funds on infrastructure than we do here (because of their higher taxes) so they have the money to tunnel much deeper than we would be able to do here. I really think this project won't happen unless more stops are put in than what is shown on your original graphic.

Old 09-10-2012, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristin85 View Post
I think the major difference with the tunneling is that out west far less homes are built with basements so it's less of an issue. In Europe, governments use significantly more funds on infrastructure than we do here (because of their higher taxes) so they have the money to tunnel much deeper than we would be able to do here. I really think this project won't happen unless more stops are put in than what is shown on your original graphic.
Where would they put the stops? The Super Express would probably add a stop in Hartford but that's it , the Express will probably get a few more. But High Speed Rail isn't supposed to stop that much , at least not as much as a commuter rail it is intended to connect the large Cities together or large towns or small cities to large cities. Small towns are best serviced by regional rail which CT has big plans for....by 2035 you should be able to get anywhere by train in CT and New England , Cape Cod , Newport , Portsmouth , Concord , Torrington , Manchester , Holyoke , Tolland , Norwich , Beacon...etc...

Old 09-10-2012, 02:50 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,115,027 times
Although I'm all for seeing our area get excellent train coverage, I think you are way too optimistic.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Although I'm all for seeing our area get excellent train coverage, I think you are way too optimistic.
Maybe for CT , but MA , RI , NY , ME , and NJ are full steam ahead with there plans and no complaining from those states....Amtrak's plans seem to always be embraced in most of New England except CT which always seems to have issues with them but never offers up any solutions... They tried to upgrade the coast line but were rebuffed and gave up so now there going inland... Your state has no one to blame but itself for that , I would be happy if I lived on the I-84 corridor and heard this was going to stop. Danbury , Waterbury , and Hartford seem to be very happy....the Coast is mad , but they should have let Amtrak go through we its original plans a few decades ago.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:04 PM

21,773 posts, read 28,115,027 times
The coastal cities are all for upgrades... Where's the $? There's no sign of real funding happening. Just talk.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
The coastal cities are all for upgrades... Where's the $? There's no sign of real funding happening. Just talk.
Its underway as we speak , that's all secured along with the Knowledge Corridor...and a few other corridors... Most of these Upgrades the public won't notice or see like replaced Sub stations , replaced and added track and overhead wires....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut