Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 06:48 PM

269 posts, read 607,793 times

Advertisements

Fairfield and Ridgefield are both a long commutes to NYC. Whether or not it's doable is up to each individual to decide but don't underestimate how draining a long commute can be. Having said that, both are fantastic towns with a lot to offer so it could be worth the trade off to you. If you do decide to look in NJ check out South Orange and Maplewood. The Essex county property taxes will make you weep, but they are pretty nice and the commute is much shorter than Fairfield or Ridgefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 08:15 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
He's spot on Stylo provided he limits his search to SW/S Redding.. Are you suggesting its longer or shorter? 20-25 minutes to South Norwalk, 55 on the train and some walking. This assumes a midtown office of course.
Redding is more like 25-35 minutes in the morning, especially getting closer to SoNo with stop and go traffic. I did Bethel to SoNo for a year. All said and done door-to-door it's going to be over 90 minutes and not fun. I personally wouldn't even want to do a Fairfield/Ridgefield commute. I guess everyone's limits are different.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:10 PM

79 posts, read 307,893 times
Is there possibility of finding a new job once you move to Fairfield County?

We were in the same position when we bought our house in Norwalk (our child will be going to private school more than likely than entering the public schools in this town) as my DH had to face a 90 minute commute to NYC.

I had to drive him back and forth to the train station and that got old very quickly. However within 7 months of moving here he found a new job and now works 10 minutes from home.

Old 09-27-2012, 11:42 AM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
To some extend it's true-ish, since that side of Fairfield isn't as affluent as some of the other parts, but it's not like people seem to think.
There are some very beautiful, very affluent neighborhoods on the east side of town like Brooklawn and Stratfield. Oh well that is why we are here, to educate people. Jay

Old 09-27-2012, 01:06 PM

11 posts, read 18,499 times
What are your thoughts on New Canaan vs. Darien? We may consider renting first? Which of these two towns or one of the threes W's (Wilton, Westport, Weston) would you guys say is more neighborly?

Old 09-27-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTONY View Post
What are your thoughts on New Canaan vs. Darien? We may consider renting first? Which of these two towns or one of the threes W's (Wilton, Westport, Weston) would you guys say is more neighborly?
What do you mean neighborly? That's really hard to quantify. Darien is the most expensive of all. All of those towns are way out of your budget though for what you want when it comes time to buy, with the exception of maybe a home that needs work in Wilton.

There's NOTHING under 500k in Darien except tear downs.

If you're going to rent and want good schools, I strongly recommend Greenwich - but you may be shocked at how little you get for your money.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:18 PM

11 posts, read 18,499 times
the more I research and read, it seems like a purchase budget will have to top $650K or more.

Old 09-27-2012, 01:27 PM

Depends on the town. If you're looking at Darien and New Canaan, yeah - that's the entry price for a decent SFH.

Old 09-27-2012, 08:26 PM

229 posts, read 463,258 times
I would not want to live in Darien or New Cannan because I am a more down-to-earth person and prefer a simpler/less sophisticated life style. I think everybody who lives there could be considered rich by any standards, and that creates a sort of snobbish atmosphere. Greenwich is even more like that. I don't have children yet, but I don't think I would like my children to go to school with kids who drive BMWs and Mercedes's at 16. There is a lot of pressure to look and act rich in these towns.

Wilton and Redding are a little more down-to-earth in my opinion. While both of them have excellent schools, there is a larger diversity in incomes and life styles and there is less show-off. They are both slightly more rural and you can get more for your money. Just my opinion.

As far as jobs in Fairfield county: I can't think of any other part of Connecticut that has more jobs/economical welfare than Fairfield area. There are a lot of big companies that hire, especially in Stamford. Then, there are also White Plains and New Rochelle- big cities in NY, which are a shorter commute compared to NYC.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:29 PM

879 posts, read 1,660,850 times
I know a few people who grew up in Darien and despise the place for being so lily-white and snobbish. YMMV!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut