Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 09:32 AM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone here saw the debate between Linda McMahon and Chris Murphy the other night. We watched and I thought Linda did terrible but then again I have not been a fan of hers. Did anyone think she did a good job answering the questions? Did anyone think she even answered the questions asked? I thought she kept going back to the same line that she has a "six-point plan" for creating jobs and what is worse she had no idea of how a bill gets introduced into Congress. Pretty sad IMHO. I really wonder how anyone who saw the debate could actually vote for her.

I thought Chris came off very well. He was confident and answered the questions directly. He sounds like a regular guy who will work for the middle class while Linda came off as a privileged businesswoman who would care less about the average person let alone the State of Connecticut. Again this is just my opinion.

So what do you think? And please, lets keep this respectful. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 09:37 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Neither could answer a question to save their life. I did not walk away with the same impression as you though Jay. I also doubt any words I type would change your perspective so I will refrain.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Neither could answer a question to save their life. I did not walk away with the same impression as you though Jay. I also doubt any words I type would change your perspective so I will refrain.
I am not looking for you to try and change my perspective but I would like to know what you saw and thought. Jay

Old 10-17-2012, 09:44 AM

I should add that I did not see the first debate but from what I read, Linda did very well. Maybe I was expecting more because of that. Jay

Old 10-17-2012, 10:20 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
I would have watched, but it was painful enough the first time around. Neither made a truly convincing case, and I'm not really impressed with either. I've voted for moderate Republicans before (Rowland, Rell, local state reps), and it seems Linda is trying to portray herself as one. But as Chris Murphy pointed out in the first debate, the party overall isn't moderate anymore, which changes the scope of things dramatically.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:46 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
But as Chris Murphy pointed out in the first debate, the party overall isn't moderate anymore, which changes the scope of things dramatically.
Linda is very much a moderate, and I actually kind of like her. She's socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

I'm so tired of the extremes on both sides (R & D). That's why I didn't watch the debates - I watched the Yankees instead. Doh!

Old 10-17-2012, 11:19 AM

2,496 posts, read 4,724,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Linda is very much a moderate, and I actually kind of like her. She's socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
It's not that I don't like her. I'm just not enthusiastic listening to her speeches, but then again, that's exactly how I feel about Murphy. We NEED more fiscal conservative and social liberal types. They can be found in either party. Cuomo is a perfect example. He's a Democrat, and he's done a way better job of fixing his state's budget mess than Malloy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764
I'm so tired of the extremes on both sides (R & D).
That makes two of us. And I get the feeling alot of people feel that way. Maybe that's why we have so many registered voters unaffiliated with a party in this state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764
That's why I didn't watch the debates - I watched the Yankees instead. Doh!
I don't see a 4-game win streak in the cards for us, I'm sad to say.

Anyway, back to the original question. I watched a few mintues from the second debate, but after watching the first it just feels like you're going through the motions.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:15 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
That makes two of us. And I get the feeling alot of people feel that way. Maybe that's why we have so many registered voters unaffiliated with a party in this state.
That makes three of us. I am a registered Independent and I don't like Murphy OR McMahon. I am struggling with who to vote for since I really think both choices stink. From what I can tell talking to family, friends and coworkers, many others feel the same way. Even worse is the pissing match between these two. The commercials from both sides were enough to turn me off before I even heard either of them open their mouths. Ugh.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:20 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,958,320 times
Although I love Linda, I will be voting for Murphy simply because we need more Senate Democrats in Congress to offset the lost Democratic seats that may occur this election in 3 weeks. In fact, I plan to vote 100% Democrat across the ballot this time. In 2008, I voted 100% Republican across the ballot. Not this time!

Old 10-17-2012, 04:06 PM

879 posts, read 1,661,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post

I'm so tired of the extremes on both sides (R & D). That's why I didn't watch the debates - I watched the Yankees instead. Doh!
I prefer a moderate perspective, but I don't find her particularly moderate. Maybe compared to Republicans in red states, sure, but not generally speaking. She wants to maintain tax cuts for wealthy people, which doesn't feel financially conservative, and her answers on issues of women's rights have been questionable at best lately.

That said, I did NOT watch the debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut