Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 09:52 PM

275 posts, read 419,676 times

Advertisements

Mike 75... that's strange that mostly evergreens fell down. seems like
last year, mostly the Maple trees fell down.. the pines seemed to do well.
that is quite sad about Long Island.. it almost seems surreal..like
something out of a horror movie...
i hate it for New York City... how they gonna celebrate Halloween when
their power's out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 11:53 PM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
there is no power in Glastonbury still? that town had problems last year too.
Correct still no power in my home as of now, cl&p map states 31% still without power, yessterday morning it was almmost 70% so they are working on it. Hebron, right next to us was 100%to without as of yesterday now they are down to 20% or so. I drove around neighborhood yesterday and saw no trees down, so i really dont know what happened......but i can deal with this another day compared to the people on the coast, and what my sisters and parents on long island are facing, they told my sister maybe they will get to her in 2 weeks.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 AM

240 posts, read 537,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
Mike 75... that's strange that mostly evergreens fell down. seems like
last year, mostly the Maple trees fell down.. the pines seemed to do well.
that is quite sad about Long Island.. it almost seems surreal..like
something out of a horror movie...
i hate it for New York City... how they gonna celebrate Halloween when
their power's out?
The October snowstorm took down mostly Oak trees because those are the last ones to lose their leaves. It was the weight of the snow that caused limbs to break.

Sandy brought down mostly evergreens because they can act like a parachute when the wind blows. I don't know much about the names of evergreens, but the ones that have pine needles seemed to do okay because the air can easily move around them.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:36 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,424,208 times
Marlborough and East Glastonbury still have no power as of Wednesday morning. We were out 6 days with both Irene and the October snowstorm, so I am not holding my breath for the restoration of power. After Irene, I bought a generator which makes it bearable since I have running water this time around.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:41 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,907 times
still no power in my development in Glastonbury. it came on last night about 1am for about 10 seconds, then was cut off so i don't know what's going on maybe when they flipped the switch they discovered an issue and shut it down again. Yesterday morning CL-p reported my town with 66% outages, then it went down to 44%, now it is 31% so i know they are working on it....happy so many crews are coming to the Northeast's help...I just hope CT reciprocates if and when the time comes to send our crews out to other places.

CL-P must be on the ball more than last year's snowstorm fiasco. During Irene we were out from Sunday Afternoon to Wednesday afternoon, and there were way more trees down...I have not seen one tree down in Glastonbury. During the October snowstorm Alfred we were out from Saturday to Saturday...that was horrendous.

Please all be safe....

Old 10-31-2012, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctwhitechin View Post
CL-P must be on the ball more than last year's snowstorm fiasco....I have not seen one tree down in Glastonbury.
I agree. CL&P's response after Irene and the snowstorm was atrocious. However, after they were reamed out by the public and got their act together with tree trimming, things have changed for the better. We are still in the dark right now but I did not see all of the trees swinging from wires and loose wires that were present last fall. People are quick to badmouth them but I am cautiously optimistic. We'll see what happens after they start issuing restoration estimates tomorrow...

Old 10-31-2012, 08:20 AM

240 posts, read 537,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree. CL&P's response after Irene and the snowstorm was atrocious. However, after they were reamed out by the public and got their act together with tree trimming, things have changed for the better. We are still in the dark right now but I did not see all of the trees swinging from wires and loose wires that were present last fall. People are quick to badmouth them but I am cautiously optimistic. We'll see what happens after they start issuing restoration estimates tomorrow...
How would you have handled the snowstorm? It was a freak storm, and there was almost no way to prepare for it. It was only 2 months after Irene, so there wasn't time to apply lessons learned. There was 1-2 feet of heavy wet snow up and down the Farmington Valley while the Oak Trees still had leaves. Having seen the damage first hand, I completely understand why it took 10 days to get my power back. My issue was with the CEO who was in complete denial about how long the restoration would take.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:14 PM

My issue with it was CL&P flat out lied during the snowstorm, saying each town had a liaison that was assisting them. Many towns could not get a hold of anyone at CL&P, let alone a designated town liaison. The CEO blowing smoke up everyones rear end didn't help any either. In last years storms, utility trucks from out of state were sitting around, telling local media days after the storm that they had no instruction to date from CL&P. That = poor planning. This time, CL&P had a clear plan in place that government officials knew about ahead of time and so far looks like it is being executed. Damage assessment crews started yesterday. After Irene and the snowstorm, it took days for any sort of assessment to be done, let alone restoration work. I give CL&P credit, they were incredibly unprepared last year for not one but 2 storms. This time, they appear to be on the ball...and I say this as my house currently sits in the dark since Monday morning AND I was out of power for one week each with Irene and the snowstorm. I don't expect miracles and I anticipated prior to Sandy that I would be without power for sometime, however I do expect a competent plan in place for emergency situations from my utility company. Thus far, it looks like that is what we (finally) have.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:28 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
My issue with it was CL&P flat out lied during the snowstorm, saying each town had a liaison that was assisting them. Many towns could not get a hold of anyone at CL&P, let alone a designated town liaison. The CEO blowing smoke up everyones rear end didn't help any either. In last years storms, utility trucks from out of state were sitting around, telling local media days after the storm that they had no instruction to date from CL&P. That = poor planning. This time, CL&P had a clear plan in place that government officials knew about ahead of time and so far looks like it is being executed. Damage assessment crews started yesterday. After Irene and the snowstorm, it took days for any sort of assessment to be done, let alone restoration work. I give CL&P credit, they were incredibly unprepared last year for not one but 2 storms. This time, they appear to be on the ball...and I say this as my house currently sits in the dark since Monday morning AND I was out of power for one week each with Irene and the snowstorm. I don't expect miracles and I anticipated prior to Sandy that I would be without power for sometime, however I do expect a competent plan in place for emergency situations from my utility company. Thus far, it looks like that is what we (finally) have.
Well said and I completely agree.

Old 10-31-2012, 01:03 PM

34,948 posts, read 56,980,181 times
We lost power Monday night and got it back this morning about 10:30 this morning. During Irene and the big snow storm we were out of 5 and 6 days so this was not too bad. Still it is extremely stressful. I hope everyone else gets their power back soon. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut