Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 06:01 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,060 times

Advertisements

Does anybody have any outrageous CT police stories? Like a case of mistaken identity where they thought you were the bad guy... Or a miserable cop when you were pulled over for speeding, or even a cool cop.

What do you say?

*** Please don't use this thread to bash police, they're doing a difficult job...***
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:35 PM

722 posts, read 1,983,288 times
I remember back in january 2004 I was in a barber shop in a spanish neighborhood and 2 police officers walked in. even this day I remember what they said. First the bigger one said "Does anybody speak english?" Then he commanded this smaller hispanic man "turn that sh*t off" (referring to the music). "So have u guys prolly been livin here for 20 years and none of u speak english!"

I prolly wont forget how scared I was that night. So they started screaming and they demanded to know who the owner was. My boy was in the barber chair and when he was asked if he knew who ran the barber shop, he said said something in spanish (i didn't hear him) something smart. Everyone started a laughing at him, and he screamed "sp*c" in his face (and then everybody stopped laughing). After they treated us all like sh*t, they said that we all had to leave (until this day, i don't kno if this is legal).

When they kicked everybody out, I walked outside with my boy who was also inside. It was a cold night in january, and the cops we posted up outside their car waiting for everybody to leave. My boy looked at me and said "lets jus see if they'll let us go inside to tell mario that we're goin up stairs". We were gonna go upstairs to this kidd that went to high school wit us that lived on top of the barber shop. But in order for us to go back inside, we had to ask those 2 cops if we could go inside. So he did. He was only like 5'2 at the time, and lookin madd young, he asked the cops if he could go back inside. They came back on the sidewalk like "U GUYS SPEAK ENGliSH?" madd shook, cuz we caught them actin like jackasses inside. And of course I had to respond, "yea what was the point of u guys coming here tonight? They said that there was a robbery 'in the area' and that 'they were doing a investigation. They're excuse was bs so I just walked by them and said "psss" like (bullsh*t)

They let my boy jeff go back inside to tell mario we were goin upstairs though, lol

Old 01-14-2009, 05:48 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,924,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brasscitybluenwhite View Post
I remember back in january 2004 I was in a barber shop in a spanish neighborhood and 2 police officers walked in. even this day I remember what they said. First the bigger one said "Does anybody speak english?" Then he commanded this smaller hispanic man "turn that sh*t off" (referring to the music). "So have u guys prolly been livin here for 20 years and none of u speak english!"

I prolly wont forget how scared I was that night. So they started screaming and they demanded to know who the owner was. My boy was in the barber chair and when he was asked if he knew who ran the barber shop, he said said something in spanish (i didn't hear him) something smart. Everyone started a laughing at him, and he screamed "sp*c" in his face (and then everybody stopped laughing). After they treated us all like sh*t, they said that we all had to leave (until this day, i don't kno if this is legal).

When they kicked everybody out, I walked outside with my boy who was also inside. It was a cold night in january, and the cops we posted up outside their car waiting for everybody to leave. My boy looked at me and said "lets jus see if they'll let us go inside to tell mario that we're goin up stairs". We were gonna go upstairs to this kidd that went to high school wit us that lived on top of the barber shop. But in order for us to go back inside, we had to ask those 2 cops if we could go inside. So he did. He was only like 5'2 at the time, and lookin madd young, he asked the cops if he could go back inside. They came back on the sidewalk like "U GUYS SPEAK ENGliSH?" madd shook, cuz we caught them actin like jackasses inside. And of course I had to respond, "yea what was the point of u guys coming here tonight? They said that there was a robbery 'in the area' and that 'they were doing a investigation. They're excuse was bs so I just walked by them and said "psss" like (bullsh*t)

They let my boy jeff go back inside to tell mario we were goin upstairs though, lol

That sounds pretty weird, I guess you never know how things will go down...

Old 01-14-2009, 08:03 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Ha! Do I!

Back in - ah, I think it was Feb 2001, when we got that HUGE storm that dumped like 18 inches of snow in 4-6 hours - remember the one where the highways were shut down for hours etc? Yea that one.

At the time I was living in Meriden and I went to pick up my DW from work as she was stuck there. I had a 4x4 Jeep so I left to get here. The roads were blocked all over the place so I used side streets.

Well I popped out on to Broad Street in Meriden, saw a coke truck sideways, said forget it, blew a donut and went back down the side roads.

About a week later a cop knocks on my door.
"Hi, what can I do for you?"

Well, we have a report that you sideswiped someone.

"Huh"

Someone was sideswiped from front to back and a "witness" reported your plate number.

"Well my vehicle is right there, have a look - not a scratch on it, and the dirt from the storm is still there undisturbed"

Okay, I will - Alright everything looks fine, I'll be in touch if I need too.

"okay thanks".

About two weeks later, I get a call from the same cop.

"Hi, I did the investigation and the witness who turned your plate number in said it was you. I talked with the prosecutor and we are issueing a warrant for leaving the scene - you can come down and turn yourself in, there will be a $500 bond".

My mouth was open. Literally.

Went down, "got processed" put up my bond and got my court date.

Long story short, the owner of the car a middle eastern man, tried to put a claim on my insurance, and called the cops 3-4 times a day demanding action etc etc. So they "acted".

My insurance company did an investigation of both vehicles, laughed and denied the claim.

My lawyer laughed said "no problem" until the court date when he came out and said they have a witness so the prosecutor is playing hard ball.

When I pushed for trial, the "witness" changed his story and refused to commit.

$2000.00 later in legal fees and 6 month later, the charges were dropped and I got my $500.00 back.

What a mess.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:45 AM

2,102 posts, read 7,759,574 times
I have a similar story. It involved a b*tch from Farmington who claimed that my Dodge Ram hit her Mercedes and that I fled the scene. She was able to get my plate. By the time I returned home from Westfarms Mall, there was a message from the police.

I immediately returned to the "scene of the crime." The cops actually stated that, in the 40 minutes to go from Westfarms to Cheshire and back, I could have had repair work done to the vehicle!

This b*tch is the same one that was behind me leaving Trader Joe's and cut in front of me at the light from the turning lane to get to Filene's.

The cops refused to name me in the report, but this individual still filed a claim. Loser!

Last edited by Rich Lee; 01-14-2009 at 11:14 AM..

Old 01-14-2009, 10:59 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,904,022 times
My husband was picking mushrooms at a nature center and was on his way back to his truck when police cars pulled up, hopped out, pulled out their guns, and had him throw up his hands. They didn't believe his story of course, and he had to take them on a little tour to point out mushrooms that he'd seen on his little hike. LOL It turns out they thought he was there hunting. They all had a great laugh over it afterwards, but it was rather hair-raising initially.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:08 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,040,976 times
I've got a cool cop story!!

One Sunday morning, this past summer, I went to Waldbaum's in Bishop's Corner (West Hartford) to pick up a bag of mulch. This was at about 7.30am.

When it came time to leave, as I was approaching the red light on Albany, the one in front of Crown Market, I felt my car die. I tried to pull it over to the right side, but it died en route to the red light. I tried in vain to get the thing started.

During the next hour, many things happened:
  • Some guys in a van tried to get the engine to "pop" for me, by trying to start it while cruising in neutral. No luck.
  • I kept trying to get my husband on the phone, but the ringer was off in our bedroom, and he was sound asleep. (I've got to teach my dog to answer the phone!)
  • A bunch of people stopped to try to help, but didn't know how.
  • Someone helped push my car to the side of the road.
  • I went to each of the gas stations at Bishop's Corner, but nobody could help (the one with a service station didn't have a Sunday mechanic).
  • I called AAA to get my car towed.
  • A different tow truck just happened to come by. He called AAA to cancel my call, because he'd take me.
  • While trying to get my car loaded onto his truck, his truck died, so he had to call another tow truck that would tow BOTH of our vehicles. (Hilarious!!!!!!)
  • All the while, I'm trying to reach my husband on the phone. No go.
Sometime during all these events, until the second tow truck came and took my car and the first tow truck away, a police car pulled over to see what was going on. He said that he'd stick around and block traffic with his car, seeing as it would soon get busy on Albany. While the two tow trucks were getting things squared away, we stood there and chatted and laughed about this whole predicament.

The tow truck guys, once my car was ready to be taken to the garage, asked me if I needed a lift home. I said that I'd keep calling my husband and he'd come get me when he woke up and could hear the phone.

The cop heard this and said, "Don't be silly. I'll take you home."

As we approached my neighboorhood, which is really a cul-de-sac of four streets, I thought, "Hmmmm. Sunday morning in the middle of summer. Someone is BOUND to see me being delivered home in a cop car!!" And then I thought this was really cool, and asked him if he'd turn on the siren to get ALL my neighbors up to their windows to see what's going on!

He said that he wouldn't turn the siren on, but he did pull right into my driveway so that everyone looking would know exactly who it was who got a police ride home.

Anyway, he was a super nice guy (we had an interesting conversation while waiting on Albany and on the way home) and I've got a story to tell everyone who calls me a geek!

Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 PM

243 posts, read 774,258 times
One night some of my friends who were sitting in there car in a parking lot waiting for a friend to show up. They were doing that so they could follow their friend's car because they were heading somewhere where they didn't know the directions, i believe to a basketball game or something in Stratford or Bridgeport, idk. The cops got a complaint that there were people waiting in the parking lot, so the police came. It was a very cold night, the car was off 3 of my friends were inside talking, windows began to get fogged up. The cops came, believed they were smoking marijuana, they were not and any cop would know this because their wasn't a smell of it obvisously. The cop asked them what they were doing, my friends said waiting for someone to meet us. The cop then demanded to know where the drugs were, threatened to bring the K-9 out, then called for backup. Backup arrived, three cops for three white, suburban teenagers in somewhat of an upscale Fairfield Coutny town.

What happened next was absolutely unnecessary. Cops claimed my friends had heroin and wanted to know where it was. They kept saying they didn't have anything and that they never used any form of drug, which is true. The cops then stated to my friends "Where are the needles, if I get stuck with one I'm going to beat the **** out of you and send you all to the hospital." They didn't find anything.

Told them it was all a misunderstanding. Terrible.

Old 01-14-2009, 03:37 PM

21,630 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Just yesterday I had quite the ride to Shelton during the AM rush hour. I was driving on Route 8 after picking up the baby who spent the night at Grandma's because Mommy had a 101 fever. Traffic came to a halt because of an accident in the right lane up ahead. I switched on my signal so those in the left lane can begin to decide where/when I'm going to be let in. I started to move over and the SUV beside me blew his horn. So I inched up a little with my signal on and again, the horn blew while he was driving so close to the car in front of him because he didn't want to let me in. I turned to look at him and there he was, giving me the one finger salute. I shrugged my shoulders and pointed to the lane where I was trying to merge, and again, I got the finger. I never give anyone the finger on the road nowadays because you never know, especially if my two month old is in the backseat! At this point I was half into my merge, stopped, and there he was trying to fit between my car and the barrier. I couldn't believe it. I just decided to move behind him and his window rolled down and he was screaming something at me about getting in my own lane (note: the accident was about four car lengths in front of me - I guess this guy had a hard time seeing??). So I shook my head, said a few choice words under my breath, and merged behind the idiot (who was from Massachusetts).

We passed the accident and traffic began to move steadily. The moron then started to slam on his brakes to try and get me to rear end him. I backed way off, took a zoomed picture of his plate with my cell phone and started to dial 911. He let me pass him, then tailed me and started swerving toward my car, basically trying to run me out of the lane.

I noticed a cop had someone pulled over up ahead, so I pulled up behind the cruiser and the Mercedes pulled up behind me. I tapped my horn to get the cop to come over, so he did and I told him exactly what happened. The guy in the mercedes SUV got out and told the cop a different story, of course. The officer came back to my car, made me get out and asked me if I was drunk, then patted me down looking for drugs. He called me an "A-hole" and asked me if I was a frat kid still drunk from the night before (I'm almost 26) and demanded I give him permission to search my car. I told him with his aggression and attitide, he's not going anywhere near my son. He continued with the insults when a woman got out of a third car that had stopped. The woman in that car got out and explained to the cop that she saw everything from start to finish. The cop quickly changed his tone with me, gave the other guy a ticket and told me to move along. This was a state trooper.

I drove to the Troopers station in Bethany instead of going to work that morning and filled out a report against the officer. I took down everything that happened and was so angry at the nasty things he said to me that I asked the woman to head down and fill out a report as well. She agreed, because she watched the officer accuse me of road rage, being drunk and in possession of drugs. The best part? The witness is the wife of a cop! I have friends who are officers and I grew up in a law-enforcement family too - I know the rules, I am a law-abiding citizen and expect the same from anyone else.

Sorry - had to vent. It was a stressful day!

Last edited by JayCT; 01-15-2009 at 07:13 AM.. Reason: Edited per OP Request

Old 01-14-2009, 03:47 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Just yesterday I had quite the ride to Shelton during the AM rush hour. I was driving on Route 8 after picking up the baby who spent the night at Grandma's because Mommy had a 101 fever. Traffic came to a halt because of an accident in the right lane up ahead. I switched on my signal so those in the left lane can begin to decide where/when I'm going to be let in. I started to move over and the SUV beside me blew his horn. So I inched up a little with my signal on and again, the horn blew while he was driving so close to the car in front of him because he didn't want to let me in. I turned to look at him and there he was, giving me the one finger salute. I shrugged my shoulders and pointed to the lane where I was trying to merge, and again, I got the finger. I never give anyone the finger on the road nowadays because you never know, especially if my two month old is in the backseat! At this point I was half into my merge, stopped, and there he was trying to fit between my car and the barrier. I couldn't believe it. I just decided to move behind him and his window rolled down and he was screaming something at me about getting in my own lane (note: the accident was about four car lengths in front of me - I guess this guy had a hard time seeing??). So I shook my head, said a few choice words under my breath, and merged behind the idiot (who was from Massachusetts).

We passed the accident and traffic began to move steadily. The moron then started to slam on his brakes to try and get me to rear end him. I backed way off, took a zoomed picture of his plate with my cell phone and started to dial 911. He let me pass him, then tailed me and started swerving toward my car, basically trying to run me out of the lane.

I noticed a cop had someone pulled over up ahead, so I pulled up behind the cruiser and the Mercedes pulled up behind me. I tapped my horn to get the cop to come over, so he did and I told him exactly what happened. The guy in the mercedes SUV got out and told the cop a different story, of course. The officer came back to my car, made me get out and asked me if I was drunk, then patted me down looking for drugs. He called me an "A-hole" and asked me if I was a frat kid still drunk from the night before (I'm almost 26) and demanded I give him permission to search my car. I told him with his aggression and attitide, he's not going anywhere near my son. He continued with the insults when a woman got out of a third car that had stopped. The woman in that car got out and explained to the cop that she saw everything from start to finish. The cop quickly changed his tone with me, gave the other guy a ticket and told me to move along. This was a state trooper.

I drove to the Troopers station in Bethany instead of going to work that morning and filled out a report against the officer. I took down everything that happened and was so angry at the nasty things he said to me that I asked the woman to head down and fill out a report as well. She agreed, because she watched the officer accuse me of road rage, being drunk and in possession of drugs. The best part? The witness is the wife of a Redding cop! I have friends who are officers and I grew up in a law-enforcement family too - I know the rules, I am a law-abiding citizen and expect the same from anyone else.

Sorry - had to vent. It was a stressful day!
WOW Kid! Holy moly. Good reactions on your part. You're luck you had that third witness.

On the flip side, now you know why lots of "inner city" folks have an aversion to police. Granted, a lot of times it's blown out of proportion, but still...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut