Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 01:29 PM

281 posts, read 345,565 times

Advertisements

No power for almost 4 days. Lost some roof shingles. Large branch from neighbor's tree narrowly missed our tool shed. We did relatively OK.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 02:30 PM

3,435 posts, read 3,948,073 times
Still no power in Wilton. It took six days to get power back after Irene, so that's what I'm expecting this time, as the damage is similar. The generator we bought after the storms last year has more than paid for itself.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:25 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,766,193 times
Lost power 12 noon last Monday- Just got restored this afternoon.

5 days no power after Irene- 6 with Sandy. Fortunately, all is OK at my house. CL& P crews blanketing town today. Feel bad for anyone with no power tonight - going to get real cold

Horrific destruction along eastern shoreline. Lower New London in an almost Katrina like situation last Monday night. 11' storm surge with 20' waves on top of that. People who refused to evacuate then calling 911 for help and being told to go to the second floors or attics as no one could get to them.

Shoreline is a mess - ocean up over Boston Post Rd in marina/restaurant area of Westbrook at height of storm, 5' piles of sand in the street in Clinton Beach, some beach areas in Old Saybrook and Old Lyme not much better.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,367,755 times
We in southeast CT (Saybrook, Lymes) just got power in the last two days.

My peak wind gust was 48 – mph….my lowest pressure was 28.89 inches. No major damage to my property thankfully. Trees down across the street however. I tried to get to as many areas between Westbrook, CT and Westerly, RI as I could but many areas still seem blocked (State Police and National Guard at entrances).

Will post pics when I can.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:56 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

Horrific destruction along eastern shoreline. Lower New London in an almost Katrina like situation last Monday night. 11' storm surge with 20' waves on top of that. People who refused to evacuate then calling 911 for help and being told to go to the second floors or attics as no one could get to them.

Shoreline is a mess - ocean up over Boston Post Rd in marina/restaurant area of Westbrook at height of storm, 5' piles of sand in the street in Clinton Beach, some beach areas in Old Saybrook and Old Lyme not much better.
The shame is very little about CT is showing up in the news (I'm saying the national news, as I assume the NYC news would focus on there). Saw a little about your area on the Weather Channel yesterday though.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:09 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,905,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
The shame is very little about CT is showing up in the news (I'm saying the national news, as I assume the NYC news would focus on there). Saw a little about your area on the Weather Channel yesterday though.
That is exactly what I'm discovering. After 5 days and nights without power we finally got it back last night, and I'm trying to catch up on which states were affected, and over and over all I hear about is NY/NJ. I'm really having to dig to see what aftermath other states are dealing with. Of course Ct. got damaged, but I'm still learning to what extent. I was surprised to learn that parts of W.Virginia and Delaware got 2 feet of snow, and there were deaths in numerous states, not just NY/NJ. This was a massive storm.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:16 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,631,471 times
Yes, I have been watching the news and there has been practically nothing about Connecticut. Everything has been about lower Manhattan and New Jersey (particularly around Ocean City and Atlantic City). I am not sure why, other than the visuals are more pronounced in these areas. Maybe because of the economic impact. Which of the shore cities in Connecticut weathered the storm well and which were heavily hit. I have no idea.

Staten Island was very heavily hit though somewhat under reported. Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx came out relatively well though there was that really bad fire in Queens that destroyed 80 homes. Parts of LI were really badly hit.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:54 AM

11,305 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Yes, I have been watching the news and there has been practically nothing about Connecticut. Everything has been about lower Manhattan and New Jersey (particularly around Ocean City and Atlantic City). I am not sure why, other than the visuals are more pronounced in these areas. Maybe because of the economic impact. Which of the shore cities in Connecticut weathered the storm well and which were heavily hit. I have no idea.

Staten Island was very heavily hit though somewhat under reported. Brooklyn, Queens, and the Bronx came out relatively well though there was that really bad fire in Queens that destroyed 80 homes. Parts of LI were really badly hit.
Yeah, I haven't even seen much about the Bronx or Westchester......I don't think there was much in the Bronx but Westchester (and Fairfield) still had significant shore damage and a near equal amount of power outages to the other areas. I have to credit that this time around it's Connecticut who seems to be getting the power back faster, I felt very bad for you guys during Irene and Snowtober (and the March '10 NorEaster for that matter).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut