Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 12:53 PM

370 posts, read 608,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Consumer stupidity could also be the reason.(Dealerships make a lot of money on this) For example, how come some 1 year old honda's are more expensive than the BRAND NEW EXACT SAME MODEL??!!! Edmunds did a write up about this.
You are missing a key point on the Edmund's article. They are suggesting the interest rate on a used car is higher and therefore your total payment costs are higher over the life of the financed loan.

Assuming you buy in cash, a used Honda would definitely be cheaper than a brand new one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:35 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,398,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
You are missing a key point on the Edmund's article. They are suggesting the interest rate on a used car is higher and therefore your total payment costs are higher over the life of the financed loan.

Assuming you buy in cash, a used Honda would definitely be cheaper than a brand new one.
WRONG. When you factored in new car rebates, it's CHEAPER.(ie 2k cash back or 0% financing) You could choose to finance INSTEAD and get 0% financing, which most people would choose. Most people don't have 25k-35k cash sitting around. Never mind, the fact of the unknown variable when buying used. Why is someone selling a 1-2 year old honda? Yes there are legitimate reasons, but it could also be because it's a lemon. You don't know. Used cars are extremely over valued right now. Much better to buy new right now. People don't seem to be able to add or understand how expensive car repairs can be. If you buy a car with 30k miles, it's going to need potentially 1k-2k of work in the next year or two.(brakes, spark plugs, tires...the list goes on and on) A brand new car will need almost nothing for the first 2 years.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
Being that you didnt even actually understand the type of and how the Subaru AWD system works but yet still tried to pass along misinformation to others under the guise that you knew what you were talking about and then glossed right over that FACT that your statement was false, it would be foolish for anyone to give any creditbility for your further thoughts ( more like wildly thrown darts ) on this subject.
WHAT?? That was another poster...NOT ME! Check the the thread. And I was never knocking subaru.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:04 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,498,373 times
Quote:
WHAT?? That was another poster...NOT ME! Check the the thread. And I was never knocking subaru.

Lol... sorry. Mixed you up with Z when you jumped on his coattales regarding purchasing new vs. Slightly used. That is a hard arguement being that a seller can ask anything they want for a vehicle and many misinformed buyers can overpay. Especially since used vehicles are where dealers are going to really try to perform to keep their doors open.
Bottom line, a smart informed buyer can do very well with a lil work.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:41 PM

370 posts, read 608,909 times
Quote:
WRONG. When you factored in new car rebates, it's CHEAPER.(ie 2k cash back or 0% financing) You could choose to finance INSTEAD and get 0% financing, which most people would choose. Most people don't have 25k-35k cash sitting around. Never mind, the fact of the unknown variable when buying used. Why is someone selling a 1-2 year old honda? Yes there are legitimate reasons, but it could also be because it's a lemon. You don't know. Used cars are extremely over valued right now. Much better to buy new right now. People don't seem to be able to add or understand how expensive car repairs can be. If you buy a car with 30k miles, it's going to need potentially 1k-2k of work in the next year or two.(brakes, spark plugs, tires...the list goes on and on) A brand new car will need almost nothing for the first 2 years.
Huh.....I was implying that on occasion it can be cheaper to buy new instead of used. For example, a new Honda with 0.9% APR can be cheaper than a used Honda with 6.9% APR over the life of the loan. It's rare, but it can happen. For the most part the interest rate is the key factor in this equation.

Quote:
A brand new car will need almost nothing for the first 2 years.
Accept that brand new car has a thing called depreciation, which is an expense, and a big one indeed.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Huh.....I was implying that on occasion it can be cheaper to buy new instead of used. For example, a new Honda with 0.9% APR can be cheaper than a used Honda with 6.9% APR over the life of the loan. It's rare, but it can happen. For the most part the interest rate is the key factor in this equation.

Accept that brand new car has a thing called depreciation, which is an expense, and a big one indeed.
I specifically remember you saying buying used(certain 1 year old models) was cheaper if you didn't finance. That is not neccessarily true because of cash back instead of the lower financing rate. You get your choice between cash or lower interest rate. It works out the same. So even if you pay cash, which few people do then it's still cheaper to buy the new one.

Depreciation(lack of) was the point of the article. Cars weren't depreciating the way they used to! It used to be that once you drove a car of the lot, the vehicle would lose 15-20% of it's value! Now you don't see that with many models of cars.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:16 PM

34,939 posts, read 56,958,583 times
Quote:
I specifically remember you saying buying used(certain 1 year old models) was cheaper if you didn't finance. That is not neccessarily true because of cash back instead of the lower financing rate. You get your choice between cash or lower interest rate. It works out the same. So even if you pay cash, which few people do then it's still cheaper to buy the new one.

Depreciation(lack of) was the point of the article. Cars weren't depreciating the way they used to! It used to be that once you drove a car of the lot, the vehicle would lose 15-20% of it's value! Now you don't see that with many models of cars.
I just went through this same debate and the new car won out. A good used Honda is not cheap especially one with lower mileage (basically under 100,000). Plus with Sandy doing damage to so many cars there are a lot of people looking for used cars now so there are not too many good deals.

After thinking things through a bit more I realized that we really needed a vehicle with really low miles at this point so I then tried to find a leftover but the dealers wanted the same prices as a 2013 (believe me I was exhausted from looking for a good leftover). The bottom line turned out that for a few bucks more, we could get the 2013 model in the color we wanted. It really was a no brainer. Of course this is just my situation but if you told me 3 months ago I was going to be buying a new car, I would not have believed you. Jay

Old 01-10-2016, 06:40 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,134 times
Not sure if this is supposed to go here but I didn't want to start another thread.

I am looking for a "one stop shop" to powder coat the wheels on my truck. I only have one set of rims/tires for this truck so I am looking for a shop I can drop it off, they remove the tires, powder coat the wheels, remount and balance the tires on the truck.

Does anyone know of a shop that can do this?

Old 01-10-2016, 09:02 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,702,289 times
After driving in CT. A used car with less than 50K that you own not lease. Car with good ground clearance. A car that can handle the bumps the pot holes so a car with good struts and a smooth ride. Car that can handle the snow the sleet the rain the wind and the elements so a car that is heavy and has AWD is good. You also want a car with good gas mileage because you do have to drive good amount of distance to get places. Sure you can do manual some spots in CT can enjoy the open road, but if in congested area's probably a automatic be best. Unless you work in construction you want something that is on the smaller side.

Old 01-10-2016, 09:34 PM

6,589 posts, read 4,977,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
Not sure if this is supposed to go here but I didn't want to start another thread.

I am looking for a "one stop shop" to powder coat the wheels on my truck. I only have one set of rims/tires for this truck so I am looking for a shop I can drop it off, they remove the tires, powder coat the wheels, remount and balance the tires on the truck.

Does anyone know of a shop that can do this?
Airborn Coating is in east hartford behind the dealerships. Not sure if they provide the dismounting service but may be able to work something out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
After driving in CT. A used car with less than 50K that you own not lease. Car with good ground clearance. A car that can handle the bumps the pot holes so a car with good struts and a smooth ride. Car that can handle the snow the sleet the rain the wind and the elements so a car that is heavy and has AWD is good. You also want a car with good gas mileage because you do have to drive good amount of distance to get places. Sure you can do manual some spots in CT can enjoy the open road, but if in congested area's probably a automatic be best. Unless you work in construction you want something that is on the smaller side.
That's probably the funniest description for auto vs standard I've ever seen. I drive all over and only drive a stick. And one of those old ones that don't hold you on a hill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut