Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM

83,525 posts, read 75,333,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Will there be outage?
Way to soon for details but right off the bat I will say very minimal. I'll keep you posted. Todays trend went west.

1-2" for the coast then heavy rains. Half foot for Hartford then rain, then back to snow.

Also note.. Christmas Day storm its possible we see about 2-4" of snow.. Starts Christmas Eve night.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM

10,104 posts, read 14,972,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Nooooooo!!!!!! Seriously??? Hoping this will be wrong.........I seriously hate snow of this magnitude.....
I hate snow of any magnitude. Almost had a heart attack when I stepped out the door today and saw flurries. Not good at all.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:30 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I hate snow of any magnitude. Almost had a heart attack when I stepped out the door today and saw flurries. Not good at all.
Lol. I mean, I understand its winter and I can handle a few inches. 6" and up is just ridiculous.12" and up is just uncalled for. More for the fact that it limits travel. If it happens at night and ends morning and I can shovel and drive to work....then fine. Since I travel the Merritt and work in NY,it makes it bad for me personally. I always found snow to be more of a nuisance than anything else. Never cared for it.

Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
Will there be outage?

I would be very surprised if outages are more than very sporadic since the leaves are completely off the trees of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Are you serious????

Say what??? I mean what in the world are you doing living up here if you dread an inch or two of the white stuff?? You ought to live in the deep south, if not Fla or Socal if THAT little snow drives you nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmdealerguy View Post
Lol. I mean, I understand its winter and I can handle a few inches. 6" and up is just ridiculous.12" and up is just uncalled for. More for the fact that it limits travel. If it happens at night and ends morning and I can shovel and drive to work....then fine. Since I travel the Merritt and work in NY,it makes it bad for me personally. I always found snow to be more of a nuisance than anything else. Never cared for it.
Sorry, but I would MUCH rather deal with two FEET of snow a few times each winter than incessantly worry every week non-stop living in the midwest or south about my home bring destroyed completely by a tornado or in Fla by a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane or California by an 8.0 earthquake.

While snow is a nuisance certainly, it rarely causes extensive prop damage or loss of life.

Sandy, Irene, and the Oct 11, 2011 nor'easter not withstanding, you really cant complain about the weather here compared to most other regions of the US

I dont mean to whine and complain, but I just shake my head everytime people complain about 6 inches----at least those who are native to this climate. I just cant understand why they live somewhere that has a climate they dislike at least 6 months out of the year.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:05 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
I would be very surprised if outages are more than very sporadic since the leaves are completely off the trees of course.

Are you serious????

Say what??? I mean what in the world are you doing living up here if you dread an inch or two of the white stuff?? You ought to live in the deep south, if not Fla or Socal if THAT little snow drives you nuts

Sorry, but I would MUCH rather deal with two FEET of snow a few times each winter than incessantly worry every week non-stop living in the midwest or south about my home bring destroyed completely by a tornado or in Fla by a Cat 4 or 5 hurricane or California by an 8.0 earthquake.

While snow is a nuisance certainly, it rarely causes extensive prop damage or loss of life.

Sandy, Irene, and the Oct 11, 2011 nor'easter not withstanding, you really cant complain about the weather here compared to most other regions of the US

I dont mean to whine and complain, but I just shake my head everytime people complain about 6 inches----at least those who are native to this climate. I just cant understand why they live somewhere that has a climate they dislike at least 6 months out of the year.
You speak the truth; our winters really aren't that bad. Except for 2 years ago, I would've told you to shut uppa you face!

Old 12-22-2012, 05:14 PM

1,344 posts, read 1,743,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
You speak the truth; our winters really aren't that bad. Except for 2 years ago, I would've told you to shut uppa you face!
Yep! Right on about the winter of 2010-11. That was hell. The only good thing is that I finally got the chance to camp outside in Upstate NY when it got to -27F!

Even though we actually got more total snow in the winters of 93-94 and 95-96 at least both those years there was a substantial stretch between storms where it got above freezing where as in Jan of 2011 NOTHING had the chance to melt.

What so ironic is that it was only a 6 week period from 12/26 to 2/2 that year that was cold and snowy compared to normal, but of course Jan of 11 stand alone was by far a monthly snow record as even the higher peaks (above 3000 ft) in Northern New England dont get that much snow prorated in an average winter.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:37 PM

From NWS Boston.

" STILL 4+ DAYS AWAY...PLENTY OF UNCERTAINTY REMAINS HOWEVER IT APPEARS THAT THIS SYSTEM WILL BE SIGNIFICANTLY STRONGER AND ALSO BE A MILDER STORM BASED ON ITS CURRENT TRACK... NORTHWEST ZONES WHERE THE BEST CHANCE OF SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATIONS "

Have to see the trends overnight and tomorrow and we'll get a better idea.

We've been through this before so we're pretty used to either outcome. . A track 100 miles off shore and we get 8-14" with this system. A track close to coast and just north of I-84 sees snow. A track over land and we all got rain and wind.

Old 12-22-2012, 05:44 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,207,659 times
Quote:

Are you serious????

I live here because its my home for 45 years.....and winter is only a few months. Just because I hate snow is not grounds for me to live down south.....but thanks.
I hate snow because it disrupts travel to and from work. The snow we had last month caused delays on the Merritt that were insane. That's why I hate snow.....but everyone is different. ;-) But lets keep to the original topic about watching this thing.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:26 PM

This is snow total forecast for Christmas Day from NWS.

Should start Monday late evening and through the night. Small light event. Maybe Litchfield County gets up to 3-4" in spots.

Old 12-22-2012, 06:55 PM

2,080 posts, read 3,923,584 times
Quote:
The only good thing is that I finally got the chance to camp outside in Upstate NY when it got to -27F!

Yea, that sounds like great fun...! I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? Or freezes your you know whats off!

No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut