Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 02:57 PM

7 posts, read 37,164 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Thank you in advance for your opinions. My young family and I are considering a move to Connecticut from Portland, Oregon. We are looking for the usual: a small to mid-size city that is very safe, lots of young families, very scenic and relatively close to a bigger city. A modest house (2-3 bedroom) on some property for under $300K would be nice.
Also, I'm wondering about the attitudes of Connecticut residents towards people from out of state moving there - I've heard East-coasters can be cold towards non-natives and would appreciate any opinions on that. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 03:14 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
Do you have a job or family in any particular part of the state?

And because I like beating people to it: West Hartford will probably get namedropped a handful of times. I would have suggested Bethel or Brookfield, but both are just a bit high for the price range.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:23 PM

7 posts, read 37,164 times
I'm a chiropractor and would plan on opening my own clinic, ideally. No family in Connecticut We are considering it because I would prefer to live someplace more rural and scenic and my wife needs her "big city fix" for culture, etc. Therefore, Connecticut seemed nice b/c of its proximity to Boston and NY, NY. Thanks!

Old 09-05-2010, 04:07 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Definitely West Hartford then, as Lowerdeck says. Price range - check. Proximity to Boston and NYC - check. Scenic, relatively safe, good place to raise kids - check. It's also close to Springfield MA and 6 Flags Great Adventure, and what's known around here as the Big E - which is the Eastern States Exposition - a HUGE HUGE county fair with representation of I think 7 states just over the Massachusettes border not far from 6 Flags.

The Big E starts Sept. 17 and ends October 3 so you might miss this year's but it's definitely a hallmark of the New England Autumnal season.

Old 09-05-2010, 04:52 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,303,510 times
The Big E is the de facto state fair for all six New England states.

I probably should go one of these years. I haven't been since the early-mid 90s, and Woodstock is too country for my liking.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:10 PM

207 posts, read 452,494 times
I will let others with more experience answer about where the best place is (I love Manchester but that is the only place where I have lived here) as to how people are treated from other states, I would say that we have been treated very well. New Englanders are a little more reserved than the south but are still very nice and more genuine IMO. This is a great place to raise a family especially if you like parks and outdoor activities.

Old 09-05-2010, 05:33 PM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
The Op islooking for a rural feel but one that is not too far from conveniences. There are many places that fit this. I would first look at general locations. I like the greater Hartford area because it is a easy to live in area with great suburbs and all of the conveniences of a large city. I would reallysuggest you consider looking for a good place to set up your practice first but for lack of that I will suggest considering the Farmington
River Valley townd of Farmington, Avon, Simsbury, Granby, Canton and Burlington. These are beautiful upscale towns that have that rural feel you are looking for but are convenient to most shopping and entertainment options plus you are about 2 hours to New York or Boston. Another town that is also very nice is Glastonbury. It is a bit more convenient to major highways and is becoming a sort of medical center for many doctors east of the Connecticut River. Jay

Old 09-05-2010, 05:40 PM

8,155 posts, read 20,999,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearCub12 View Post
Hello,

Thank you in advance for your opinions. My young family and I are considering a move to Connecticut from Portland, Oregon. We are looking for the usual: a small to mid-size city that is very safe, lots of young families, very scenic and relatively close to a bigger city. A modest house (2-3 bedroom) on some property for under $300K would be nice.
Also, I'm wondering about the attitudes of Connecticut residents towards people from out of state moving there - I've heard East-coasters can be cold towards non-natives and would appreciate any opinions on that. Thanks so much!
Note to everyone posting: Did you see the budget?

1. People here don't care where you came from. Many themselves are from somewhere else or are second generation etc. There is no real "outsider" crooked eye stuff that goes on here. It just doesn't.

2. While West Hartford is nice, you'll have a heck of a time finding a home on property in West Hartford for under 300K and most of it is fairly "urban/suburban" with smaller lots and homes close together. I would suggest looking East of the River in South Windsor, Bolton, Coventry, Hebron. They are smaller towns but very close to places like Manchester (small city with shopping restaurants etc) and a short distance to Hartford (Medium sized city with plenty to do). Those are the places you'll find a home for that price range with space to roam, but will not be "out there" either. Scenic is our middle name no matter where you are really.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:13 PM

2,080 posts, read 4,843,561 times
Quote:
. A modest house (2-3 bedroom) on some property for under $300K would be nice.
Quote:
I'm a chiropractor
I am a little curious as to why your budget is so low...here in CT chiropractors with a few years experience salary is about 150k....most start out around 120k...seems to me you could afford a lot more house and have your pick of towns in the state.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:15 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Probably because he isn't established yet and doesn't want to risk losing everything by overestimating his potential to succeed in a saturated market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut