Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 03:58 PM

149 posts, read 328,200 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm a recent divorcee with two children ages 8 and 6 who still currently attend public school in White Plains, NY. After my recent break up I moved to Stamford in November 2012. I'm considering to have my kids transferred to the Stamford school district in the Fall 2013 if the public schools rate better than the schools they attend in White Plains. My ex still resides in the townhome we once shared and I also work in White Plains. I don't mind commuting them to school however it's in my children's best interest to place them in the better school district. I've done some research and saw that their school would be the Roxbury Elementary School. I appreciate any responses. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 04:17 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,892,517 times
I know both districts well and would say they are about even, so you could go either way. A lot of similarities in the level of diversity and in "reputation" (not considered an "elite" district, but not really "hardcore urban" either like say Bridgeport or (to use Westchester examples) Mt. Vernon or Yonkers). I do want to note that in Stamford elementary schools don't automatically go by what neighborhood you live in, some of it is random and they bus like crazy in the district. Also this means that a school in the "best" part of town isn't necessarily the "best" elementary school in town and vice versa.

If you are able to keep your kids in White Plains using your ex's address I would advise that not because it is any better or worse but they are used to the school and can stay with their old friends there. Good luck!

Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM

10,100 posts, read 14,972,719 times
When it comes to Stamford Public Schools, how well a student does depends much more on his/her family background. Plenty of Stamford Public School graduates go on to prestigious universities and other decent universities, and develop very successful careers. This tells me that the trouble students fall into academic trouble due to not having the proper support system at home. Otherwise the faculty themselves appear to be doing a very good job, IMO.

Having said all of that, the poor performing students tend to drag down the districts averages and, as a consequence, masks the reality which is there is a gulf between the successful students and the not-so-successful. A visit to any of the schools, particularly the high schools, will clearly confirm that the student body self-segregates along achievement and even socioeconomic lines.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
I'm not sure Stamford schools are better enough to warrant that move. It's arguable whether they're better at all. In CT, you'd have to go to somewhere like Greenwich, Wilton, Ridgefield to see a big difference in the school performance.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:41 PM

2 posts, read 3,522 times
Please contact me at the Stamford Public Schools Office of Public Affairs to learn more about the district 203-977-4095. I am happy to put you in touch with other parents as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut